1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support So what's killing my battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bugeyeblue, Jan 8, 2012.

1. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2009
    Locksmith
    It seems like the battery on my rezound is dying a little faster than I hoped. I have 4g turned off, using wifi, no updating widgets, screen set to about 50%, and very very minimal usage. I'm down to 80% battery after about 3.5-4 hours. Is there anything else I can adjust to keep it from dying so fast without even hardly using it?

Advertisement

2. ToyotaTacoma

ToyotaTacoma Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Go into your "battery use" and see what is using it. If you have a rogue app, sometimes you can spot it there. If you can, post a screen shot and someone may be able to see something that might be causing it.

How often is Facebook updating? Or possibly a weather app?

3. pat3332

pat3332 Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Mine eats the battery too, but that's the only bad thing I can say about it. I've used all of the tricks I learned with the Thunderbolt and it's still a battery hog. I usually have my screen brightness set at 25% unless I'm streaming a video or I'm outside. I'm guessing that a lot of the problem may be due to the high screen resolution, but it seems to be another one of those some do, some don't issues. Some people report decent battery life and others like us think it's poor. It may just depend on how you use the phone and your expectations, but I'm using the extended battery and even after conditioning it, it still doesn't last as long as I'd like, or even as long as my Thunderbolt.

I really like this phone though. In my opinion, it does everything better than any other phone out there right now, so I'm willing to work around the battery issue and I'm pretty sure I can get use to it. As smartphones keep doing more, battery life is going to continue to be more of a problem until battery technology catches up.

4. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    androids power management absolutely is not good, even tho I seem to be getting rather stellar battery life. :p

5. bugeyeblue

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Locksmith
    It just shows the screen taking up pretty much all of the power.

6. andr01d

andr01d Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    androidland
    hmm... that means you keep looking/toying with the phone way too much :) haha

7. Laramie8x8

Laramie8x8 Newbie
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    20% drain in 4 hours isn't bad. Are you on the stock or extended battery?

8. ToyotaTacoma

ToyotaTacoma Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    For screen brightness, I recommend the Android Power widget (pictured). I set mine on the middle setting which automatically puts it about 30%. I easily get a full day out of my battery. I haven't charged my phone since it came off the charger yesterday morning and I am still at 47%.

Attached Files:

9. pragmatous

pragmatous Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 1, 2010
    Well for me using standard battery I'm at 56% and the phone has been on for 3h 14m 20s.

77% is display, 7% is my game - where's my water that was played for 11m 25s.

I figure 8 hours of battery life which isn't bad for a 1600mah battery w/ a 4.3" screen 1.5ghz dual core processor.

I figure once I root my phone and get rid of all the bloatware i'll probably see 10 hours of battery life.

10. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Colonel Mustard, in the Study, with the lead pipe.....

11. bugeyeblue

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Locksmith
    I'm on the stock battery. Maybe it'll seem better on a normal work day. Maybe I am just using it too much. It just feels like it should be a lot better. Also, I do use the android power widget posted by the user in this thread on the setting described. I am rooted; does getting rid of the bloat ware actually increase battery life? Is it hard to do?

12. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    I may be wrong on this but the bloat does not use the battery unless you use it. I changed the setting's so I no longer get update messages for apps and have never seen any of the bloat in battery manager. So I don't get why people say it kills the battery. It's the screen and radios that eat the battery. The phone for being comfortably plump has a dinky battery.

13. pat3332

None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Like you said, you can keep most of them from starting and updating. The ones I have trouble with are the facebook apps that I can't seem to keep from starting. I just don't like having apps on my phone that I didn't download and can't uninstall. I understand Verizon making money any way it can, that's the name of the game, but considering what we pay for the phones, I wish they would at least give us a choice of which apps take up space on our phones. I hate Facebook.

Look on the bright side. The Thunderbolt came with a 1400mAh battery.

v2can5 likes this.
  14. pat3332

None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    When I got my Rezound, I would go into settings to check my battery usage, it always said the same thing. Display 97%, Cell standby 2% and Bluetooth 1%. It never varied and never showed anything else, so after a week, I finally broke down and did a factory reset and now it's displaying the way it should.

andr0ld is probably right though. When you first get it, it's on a lot while you play with it, but if you turn the screen off occasionally it will help a lot. :)

fns1 likes this.
  15. sptddog

sptddog Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    I had awful battery loss.... then I read a thread about Verizon's 3G/4G network is different than their regular 3G network. Found a thread to change a Verizon setting to force the phone back to EVDO only. Since then my battery life has drastically improved. Almost doubled. Honestly I think the lack of a solid 4G network in my area was killing the battery. I had a similar issue with an older phone when we first went to 3G. Changed the settings in a similar fashion then too and had the same results. I'll change it back when the network is better.

16. bik2101

bik2101 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    do you think you could link this thread? i would be interested in this as i got the phone more for the screen size + dual core than the LTE speeds.

17. sptddog

sptddog Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    I'll come back tomorrow and link.... I'm on my tablet tonight and it's a pain to type on lol.

18. v2can5

v2can5 Newbie
    None

May 11, 2010
    I don't like Facebook either. On my Incredible that stupid Skype app kept running until they fixed it with the update. They (VZW) has got to know how annoying those kind of apps are. They do it because they can!

19. pat3332

None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Well, they can, but they're getting paid by the software owners like Facebook to embed the software. The Thunderbolt had Blockbuster, something called City ID and 2-3 others that I can't remember right now. They do it for the money.

20. pat3332

None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    I don't have a link, but if you're in a weak 4G area, an area that doesn't have 4G, or don't care about 4G, go to Settings/Wireless & networks/Mobile networks/Network mode and set it to CDMA only mode. That will put you in 3G only. If you're in LTE/CDMA, it will use the battery searching for a 4G network.

21. pat3332

None

May 1, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    One more thing you may be talking about.

Dial ##778# on your phone keypad and tap call
    Tap edit mode
    Password is 000000
    Tap modem settings
    Scroll to Rev. A
    Select "enable"
    Tap menu
    Tap commit
    Your phone will reboot

This will change your network from Rev. A eHRPD to Rev. A EVDO

The instructions in my previous post may accomplish the same thing if you restart the phone after setting it to CDMA only mode. You can use these instructions to check and see if it does. Default is eHRPD. If it changed it will say Rev. A EVDO.

It's my understanding that EVDO will still hand off to 4G, but it will be a slow hand off, so you will probably stay in 3G most of the time. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's happened before. :)

sptddog likes this.
  22. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    No message//////

23. bugeyeblue

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Locksmith
    This just seems crazy. First of all, why did htc put such a tiny battery in a phone with such a huge screen, and secondly, why does the android operating system need so much help just to run a full day on a single charge? I like this phone and I like android, but it just seems like a lot of work just to get thought a day of normal usage.

24. bugeyeblue

None

Dec 8, 2009
    Locksmith
    I just set it up to use CDMA only, no 4g, turned Facebook update intervals to never (which is not in the normal accounts and sync area, so it's unintuitive), deleted handcent and a couple other apps just for good messure, and restarted the phone. full discharge tonight and charging overnight. I'll report how the battery usage goes tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

25. sptddog

sptddog Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Below is what I did to drastically improve my battery. I followed these links to come to the conclusion that this was a similar issue that my old school Chocolate had years ago when Verizon first went 3G.

http://androidforums.com/htc-rezound/476188-stuck-1x.html
    losing data when data switches between LTE and 3G - Page 2 - xda-developers

My Dinc settings were identical to those of my Rez and I was getting 12 hours out of that battery with minimal use, and at least 10 if I hammered it all day. I knew it was more than settings/apps/wifi etc. My 3G/4G network here is very new, and very spotty - since they run all on the 'new' network (the LTE 3G), I had no doubt I was digging for a signal all day.

Now - this all said - MY PHONE WENT INTO PERPETUAL REBOOT THIS AM - hopefully not related, so do this at your own risk. I used the fix in the sticky on this site, and it's back on track and happy again. Assuming it stays that way, this netowrk fix works for the battery. I will change the settings back later down the path when my local 4G network is solid and cleans stuff up.

Tags: