• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what's the deal with 4G?

Poweranimals

Android Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2011
So as you know, the name of the phone is the Epic 4G but as far as I can tell there are very few areas that actually support 4G. Is this changing anytime in the near future? It seems like if they're going to sell a phone based on a certain technology they would go out of their way to actually make it available.

Would be great if you could give me an idea (and some hope) for WiMax 4G in Phoenix, Az. Thanks ROI.
Sorry for the delay, but good luck on phoenix. Arizona has some backward laws. In order for some markets to come online, they have to build and supported by local service. So when the local service becomes active, it will work with your phone.

Sorry, but local laws are really hurting the roll out.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
So as you know, the name of the phone is the Epic 4G but as far as I can tell there are very few areas that actually support 4G. Is this changing anytime in the near future? It seems like if they're going to sell a phone based on a certain technology they would go out of their way to actually make it available.

I really am in agreement with you. I'm with my Evo 4G and I mean...where is this 4G?? Why didn't they build the network THEN sell us 4G phones and provide 4G plans?!? Verizon and the others aren't too much better...

It's all business...they all wanted to get 4G out as quickly as possible as cheaply as possible even if that meant having 4G in two areas and then expanding later. Only problem is that they didn't think of how much work it would take to bring it to the thousands, possibly millions, of people who wanted 4G coverage in the areas they reside in most.

I guess my little rant on 4G and Sprint. I was really pissed when they told me I'd be charged $10 a month for it and then not provide it for me in most of the areas I was in.

Upvote 0
I really am in agreement with you. I'm with my Evo 4G and I mean...where is this 4G?? Why didn't they build the network THEN sell us 4G phones and provide 4G plans?!? Verizon and the others aren't too much better...

It's all business...they all wanted to get 4G out as quickly as possible as cheaply as possible even if that meant having 4G in two areas and then expanding later. Only problem is that they didn't think of how much work it would take to bring it to the thousands, possibly millions, of people who wanted 4G coverage in the areas they reside in most.

I guess my little rant on 4G and Sprint. I was really pissed when they told me I'd be charged $10 a month for it and then not provide it for me in most of the areas I was in.

Why would you go out and spend billions of dollars, to lease land, hire employees and buy equipment to put up towers that wouldn't be used for years to come. Especially for Clearwire as that is their only business they have no other way to make money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones