• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what's the deal with the built-in music app

SlippyFist

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
I just got a new phone (S8+) which I love. The phone I upgraded from ran KitKat, and had a built in music player that no longer exists; I'm guessing it got replaced by google's Play Music bullshit. A couple christmas's ago I got a tablet that came with marshmallow, and I noticed this problem then. The music player titled just "Music Player" and was a purple square with a white music note on it.

I was actually fond of the player; Play Music is a lot more annoying to use, mainly because it organizes the artists on the artist tab by song artist and not album artist (which the old app used). I have almost 180GB of music on the memory card, and its annoying having the list arranged this way. I've looked on the play store for alternative players, but the ones i looked at suck and have annoying ads. I've been using the android VLC player for now, but I'd like to re-acquire that old music player app somehow if possible.

Reactions: alhroopi200
Is your old whatever it is phone rooted, or can you download and obtain an original firmware image for it? If so you maybe able to obtain or extract the music player from that. Although if it's compatible and will work as a user install app on a Samsung S8+ that's another matter. If it doesn't work, there's probably not a lot you can do, especially if it's manufacturer specific and/or discontinued.

For information, my player of choice is Rocket Player(an older version) and has been so for a very long time now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But the OP has already said that they think that paying people a small amount of money for writing and maintain software is "lame", so no point recommending PowerAmp. They've also said that ads suck (which I agree with), and they so are looking for someone who will devote their time to making nice things for them for nothing...

Anyway we can't answer questions about the previous phone's app because we don't know what the previous phone was. Many manufacturers provide their own music apps, so knowing the OS version doesn't tell us what app it was. Also if it was a system app (i.e. part of the old phone's ROM) it wouldn't show as something you could transfer - whether it would work on a different phone would depend on which app it was (some will be tied to manufacturer-specific OS mods, some won't).

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Is your old whatever it is phone rooted, or can you download and obtain an original firmware image for it? If so you maybe able to obtain or extract the music player from that. Although if it's compatible and will work as a user install app on a Samsung S8+ that's another matter. If it doesn't work, there's probably not a lot you can do, especially if it's manufacturer specific and/or discontinued.

For information, my player of choice is Rocket Player(an older version) and has been so for a very long time now.

my old phone is rooted actually; i just don't know how to extract the .apk or whatever for that app. and i actually have rocket player on my tablet from when i briefly attempted to address this problem. I don't really use my tablet for music so I never followed through, but on my phone I use it for extensive music between work and in my car.

Anyway we can't answer questions about the previous phone's app because we don't know what the previous phone was. Many manufacturers provide their own music apps, so knowing the OS version doesn't tell us what app it was. Also if it was a system app (i.e. part of the old phone's ROM) it wouldn't show as something you could transfer - whether it would work on a different phone would depend on which app it was (some will be tied to manufacturer-specific OS mods, some won't).

Ah ok.. i figured it was connected to the operating system and not the manufacturer.. it was a Kyocera Brigadier. My choices was actually between the Kyocera Duraforce Pro and the S8+. I went with the plus obviously lol but I originally was going to get the upgraded kyocera phone.

Upvote 0
my old phone is rooted actually; i just don't know how to extract the .apk or whatever for that app. and i actually have rocket player on my tablet from when i briefly attempted to address this problem. I don't really use my tablet for music so I never followed through, but on my phone I use it for extensive music between work and in my car.

Try Rocket Player on your phone then. I have it on mine, along with something like 120GB music on the micro-SD and internal storage. I've looked at a lot of music players, and Rocket is what I always go back to.

On your old phone as it's rooted, you could try using a file explorer, look in system apps for the music player APK, and then copy and paste it out. The list of system apps in Settings should tell you what it's called. If it will work or not on a S8, that is something you'll have to try.

Reactions: tube517 and Hadron
Upvote 0
Try Rocket Player on your phone then. I have it on mine, along with something like 120GB music on the micro-SD and internal storage. I've looked at a lot of music players, and Rocket is what I always go back to.

On your old phone as it's rooted, you could try using a file explorer, look in system apps for the music player APK, and then copy and paste it out. The list of system apps in Settings should tell you what it's called. If it will work or not on a S8, that is something you'll have to try.

its just called "Music Player" lol. And I had already looked throughout the phone in every single folder using the built in file manager (as well as through my computer)- it's an OEM app and its nested in some system folder that i can't see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones