1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

So whats the difference between ROMs?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xelios, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Xelios

Xelios Android Enthusiast

So I finally got around to installing my first ROM. I'm running Apex 1.4.1, which I love. But it seems a lot of people are recommending Liberty over it. Then there's roms like Rubix and Gummyjar.

So my question is, is there really a difference between them? I figure since the Kernel is still locked down, they can't differ that vastly, right? Or am I misunderstanding the relationship between them here?

I realize that the Android version makes a huge difference, but other than that, what's one got over the other?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert

Yes, there are some limits to a locked bootloader but it branches off from there. You are talking different themes, different iterations of blur (some keeping it while others get rid of most of it), and different tweaks. I think ROM's are one of those experiences that you have to try for yourself. There are certain features that you will want that another won't care about. I love Liberty ROM but there were a few things that had to do with car dock that really bugged me. It's really small, but you can afford to be picky when there are so many ROMs out there.

Check out the list in the sticky at the top of this forum.

3. Xelios

Yeah I was looking at the list, but all it really looked like was different skins to me. But other than that, all really much the same. Guess I'll try flashing a few more and see how that works. Thanks for the info man.

4. tom108

tom108 Android Expert

Many roms make improvement behind the scenes. Most remove bloatware and improve memory cache settings.
    Also many roms have custom settings panels to tweak different gui features and settings.

5. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert

Seriously man, it's frustrating to me when people say just to try it, but it really boils down to the little things that make the difference between the ROMs. I mean, the Froyo Liberty ROM had a dialer that included a blacklist feature that I loved because I have a lot of people calling right now who want money that I don't have. There are many other "small" things like that that make a difference. On Apex, the dialer handled being in horizontal mode so that it looked better in my car dock. Not a big deal for some, but it was a point of decision for me.

It also seems that one person will say that a ROM absolutely sucks on their phone (FC's and such) while another says that they have absolutely no problems and LOVE it. So I go try the ROM and say, "I don't see the big deal."

Themes can pretty much be ported from one ROM to another and you can make one look just like the other. Just as TOM said, a lot is under the hood or more than meets the eyes (transformers!). Make sense?

6. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

where's my money fo0!

7. Xelios

Oh, so they react differently on each phone. Now my brother's complaining of Apex makes sense. Figured it was just in his head. Looks like I'm going to have a fun week flashing the hell out of my phone.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews