• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So.. what's wrong with this phone?

I don't have this phone. But I must say, this is one of the few phones that came out with minimal complaints.

You are sooooooooo right. I waited a week before pouncing on it (and got two, one for the husband : )

Usually there is sooooo much hype surrounding certain phones (Thunderbolt (eyeroll) Bionic, Evo 4G (now THAT was a good phone but everyone complained about the battery) and when they get here the forums are chuck full of a gazillion issues & complaints...

I read everything i could get my hands on for this phone and prolly read every post before going to get it, and you are on the money, "very little complaints"...well not counting data issues but hopefully that will get better, and even if not, this phone is so great, i'd be willing to use it wi-fi only device (if it ever came to that : ) and get a pre-paid feature throwaway phone for calls...lol

The camera alone on this device beats any camcorder i have looked at in the store, with their tiny 2 inch viewers and crappy software, they can't touch this phone, not even Samsungs own standalone cameras/camcorders come with this many features : )

BTC

Upvote 0
Well, upgraded wife's Blackberry to this phone after looking at specs. Picked up today.

Let me tell you, it's fast as snot! Screen is really nice as well. Everything loads like greased lightning!

One issue I've found is the constant scanning for WiFi sites when fully connected to a WiFi site. Other problem was related to the Twitter app not taking credentials (wife uses Twitter).

With an 1800mah battery and such, it's hard to drain it but run it full tilt, maybe you can. Will find out soon.

Not too big in the hand.

For what she uses it for (music, Kindle, texting, movies, sat radio) it fits well.

Got the kick-stand case for it as well.

For $200 at Sprint, less elsewhere it's an IPhone killer for speed. Besides, Apple is crying foul Samsung rip off IPhone features in some way.

Since my company phone is Verizon, I have an HTC Inc. My phone now looks and acts like some flip phone with etch-a-sketch display.

Seriously, it's fast. Now let's see since it's out now how long for any bug fixes.

As for Sprint Network in area where we live, it blows and will need an AP to resolve that. Go down the road a bit, then 3 and 4G pop up.

So far, wife hasn't put it down for hours...:D

Upvote 0
What I don't get is how some people say its so amazingly clear the screen, and others say its not, and the resolution is not so good on such a big screen!

Very devided...lol

Its rather clear and definitely gorgeous! You just have people who want to whine about the lack of qhd 960x540 resolution. IMO having used the htc evo 3d and the mopho (both qhd devices), their screens do not compare to the screen of the e4gt. The screen on this phone is nothing short of gorgeous! Could having higher resolution help? Sure. But honestly, again, the qhd display phones visually have nothing on the samsung e4gt.

Upvote 0
What I don't get is how some people say its so amazingly clear the screen, and others say its not, and the resolution is not so good on such a big screen!

Very devided...lol

Thats a good point. Personally, I think the screen is gorgeous on the Epic Touch, and everyone I show it to is "wow'ed."
If my memory serves me correct, every "professional" review I've seen on this phone, which is countless at this point, raves about the screen. (hell, even Engadget gave it high marks)

Upvote 0

Very devided...lol

I was worried i'd be able to see pixels or that everything would appear "too large"... Not the case one bit, so put my vote with the side that is "100% lovin' every tap and touch result" of this screen!

BTC

Upvote 0
I'm coming from a Samsung Moment (2.2), but I've also used the Nexus S a bunch for work. Overall I think the phone is great and I'm happy with my purchase, assuming there is a fix for my first con.

Cons:
- Games crash randomly. I think it may be a bug related to how sound effects are played. The games I've tried are Tetris, Doodle Fit, and Plants vs. Zombies. For a while PvZ seemed ok when I turned off all sounds, but I had it crash twice in a row last night.
If anyone is able to play the games I've mentioned with no crashing I'd be interested to hear it, since it may mean that I have defective hardware, but I've seen similar crash reports about the Galaxy SII.

I have the exact same problem with different games than you have listed. Dungeon Defenders, Stand 'o Food 3, and Samurai Warriors 2 all crash on me after 5-10 minutes of playing.

The phone is *extremely* fast (especially coming from the original MyTouch 3g). And when the games are working they work very very well. Unfortunately, they crash so regularly as to make this a very big issue if you are planning on using the phone for gaming, as I was hoping to do.

I'm trying to decide at this point whether or not to keep mine, since I have no idea if Samsung will actually fix the problem.

Upvote 0
My biggest issue is reception! Coming from Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2, I roam randomly in places I always had 5 bars on HTC. I travel a lot, and use same routes I used for years. Now my phone randomly informs me my cell/data service is unavailable.

I know voice roaming is included in my everything data plan, but I am not sure if data roaming id free as well. It is quite annoying as Google maps nav randomly shuts down if Sprint is unavailable.

Still considering Moto Photon, as I am within 2 weeks period.

Just my 2 cents.

Sophie

Upvote 0
My biggest issue is reception! Coming from Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2, I roam randomly in places I always had 5 bars on HTC. I travel a lot, and use same routes I used for years. Now my phone randomly informs me my cell/data service is unavailable.

I know voice roaming is included in my everything data plan, but I am not sure if data roaming id free as well. It is quite annoying as Google maps nav randomly shuts down if Sprint is unavailable.

Still considering Moto Photon, as I am within 2 weeks period.

Just my 2 cents.

Sophie

I am also getting reception and roaming issues where I never had a problem with my old crappy palm pixi. I get roaming in areas where I never needed to roam. I don't get service at work now where I used to get it with the crappy palm pixi.

I am also getting issues with android os killing my battery so quickly.

Upvote 0
^^
How long have you had the phone now? The first day or two I was dropping calls and roaming... Now, the last 8 days... It works like a champ. I was considering exchanging too... But not anymore! :)

This is my 4th day. I may give it another few day, but if it persists, MoPHo it is. We also have Nexus S 4g in the family. Looks like it maight go back as well for the same reason and be traded for Evo 4G.

Sad, we really like both Sammy phones: beuatiful screens, lightning fast. But if there is no solid reception, it is all useless, isn't it?

Hope Samsung fixes this fast!

We had several Samsung phones, not smartphones, with T-Mobile, ATT, and Sprint, and never had reception issues. I am talking about the most basic phones you can get though. Not sure why radios would be weaker in a high end smartphone.

PS I switched back to TP2 and no reception issues at all. So I know it is the phone, not local network. Switched back to GSII, and back to poor reception!

Upvote 0
Its rather clear and definitely gorgeous! You just have people who want to whine about the lack of qhd 960x540 resolution. IMO having used the htc evo 3d and the mopho (both qhd devices), their screens do not compare to the screen of the e4gt. The screen on this phone is nothing short of gorgeous! Could having higher resolution help? Sure. But honestly, again, the qhd display phones visually have nothing on the samsung e4gt.

Bingo. Some people get so hung up on spec sheets they ignore what's actually in front of them.

Upvote 0
They told me the same thing. Got my ET4G on a standard upgrade and I can get my last yearly upgrade next year at this time. The annual upgrades are gone for good at the end of 2012. Then it goes to 20 months even for Premiere Gold members

According the Sprit website (never wrong of course) the upgrade will be 22 months for us Gold Premier folks.

Upvote 0
According the Sprit website (never wrong of course) the upgrade will be 22 months for us Gold Premier folks.

I just want to clear this all up. I've spoken to several sprint employees including retentions, CSRs and many people at sprintusers.com

If you are sprint premiere GOLD (unsure about silver) and have an upgrade on or before 10/1/2011:

1. You can use this upgrade prior to 10/2 and upgrade again 1 year from this upgrade. YOU HAVE to use this yearly upgrade prior to 10/2 to get the last upgrade 1 year from now.
2. If your next eligible upgrade is after 10/2 you only get this one last upgrade
3. The last free yearly upgrade expires 12/31/2012.

Example 1: Evo 4g sprint premiere customers:

If you bought your evo in june 4, 2010 and were/are now gold, you were eligible on 6/1/2011 for your next handset upgrade. If you use this available upgrade to epic 4g touch, evo3d, photon, etc prior to 10/2 you will get another upgrade available 9/1/2012 or 10/1/2012 (if you do it on 10/1). The upgrade available on 9/1/2012 or 10/1/2012 has to be used by 12/31/2012

Example 2: Yearly upgrade is 10/2 or later:

If your last upgrade was made after 10/31/2010, you will not be getting another upgrade on the 1 year schedule. This I believe will be 20 months.

My personal example:

I bought an evo 4g on release day. I've been premiere gold for years. I didn't like the evo3d and knew the galaxy s 2 would get to the US.. I was just hoping it was going to be like.. July. No such luck. Being that this phone was so late I decided that i'd just wait for the nexus prime, but sprint changed the premiere gold rules. I called them and they told me the information stated above. That is, so long as I use my upgrade prior to 10/2, i'll get 1 last upgrade next year available on 9/1 or 10/1 that must be used by 12/31/2012.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Upvote 0
I just want to clear this all up. I've spoken to several sprint employees including retentions, CSRs and many people at sprintusers.com

If you are sprint premiere GOLD (unsure about silver) and have an upgrade on or before 10/1/2011:

1. You can use this upgrade prior to 10/2 and upgrade again 1 year from this upgrade. YOU HAVE to use this yearly upgrade prior to 10/2 to get the last upgrade 1 year from now.
2. If your next eligible upgrade is after 10/2 you only get this one last upgrade

If you bought your evo in june 4, 2010 and were/are now gold, you were eligible on 6/1/2011 for your next handset upgrade. If you use this available upgrade to epic 4g touch, evo3d, photon, etc prior to 10/2 you will get another upgrade available 9/1/2012 or 10/1/2012 (if you do it on 10/1). The upgrade available on 9/1/2012 or 10/1/2012 has to be used by 12/31/2012

If your last upgrade was made after 10/31/2010, you will not be getting another upgrade on the 1 year schedule. This I believe will be 20 months.

My personal example:

I bought an evo 4g on release day. I've been premiere gold for years. I didn't like the evo3d and knew the galaxy s 2 would get to the US.. I was just hoping it was going to be like.. July. No such luck. Being that this phone was so late I decided that i'd just wait for the nexus prime, but sprint changed the premiere gold rules. I called them and they told me the information stated above. That is, so long as I use my upgrade prior to 10/2, i'll get 1 last upgrade next year available on 9/1 or 10/1 that must be used by 12/31/2012.

Well that sucks, I am due for an upgrade on 10/1 (got my EVO last year this time) and I did not want to upgrade until Sprint made their announcment on 10/7 so I guess I have no choice. Just hope the announcment is nothing more than the iphone or better service coming soon etc.

So basically if I upgrade on 10/1 as a premeir gold member, I can do one more upgrade next year 10/1/12? If I upgraded after 10/2 I can't do any more upgrades or pretty much have to pay full price no discount.

Upvote 0
Well that sucks, I am due for an upgrade on 10/1 (got my EVO last year this time) and I did not want to upgrade until Sprint made their announcment on 10/7 so I guess I have no choice. Just hope the announcment is nothing more than the iphone or better service coming soon etc.

So basically if I upgrade on 10/1 as a premeir gold member, I can do one more upgrade next year 10/1/12? If I upgraded after 10/2 I can't do any more upgrades or pretty much have to pay full price no discount.

I'm in the same boat as you. My Premier Gold upgrade date is also 10/1. I'll be ordering the Epic 4G Touch. If the 10/7 announcement affects anything, I'll still be within my 14 day return period.

Does this logic make sense?

Upvote 0
My official list of things wrong with the phone from worst to least:

Battery isn't that much better than the Evo 4G (I can't get a full workday from a single charge)

Loss of service that requires airplane mode toggle (the workaround is simple, but you never know when it will hit, which means you might miss calls).

Heating issues. Some games cause the top part of the phone to get very hot. If I receive a call with the phone charging, the top of the phone gets hot. Otherwise, the temp is normal.

Games close without warning (would have been higher, but I mostly play games on my Galaxy Tab)

Just a touch too big for my hand. The only reason I haven't dropped it a dozen times already is because it's so light and well balanced.

Then there are the issues I fixed with apps:

Hate the lockscreen, but now use WidgetLocker.

Hate the security screen timeout, but now use App Protector (which is even better than the setup on the Evo)

No camcorder shortcut (downloaded one in the Market)

Some webpages are mobile only (deep linking works 90% of the time, eg I go to espn.com/nfl and get the desktop view of the NFL section. If that doesn't do it, Firefox Beta with the Phony plugin will force desktop view).

Then there are annoyances I read about that don't affect me because of third party apps. Any keyboard or browser complaints as well as issues with music widgets don't affect me since I use Dolphin HD, Swiftkey X, and Meridian.

On the plus side, the camera is awesome, browsing is unbelievably fast, and I am really enjoying how light the phone is. The screen is huge and beautiful (games really, really look so much better on the SAMOLED+ screen) and I can flow between screens so much faster than I did on my Evo.

In the end, there are way more pros than cons, and the pros are significantly more important than the cons.

Oh, and the phone reception and call clarity is waaay better than my Evo 4G. I can make clear calls in places where the Evo produced unintelligible crackle.

Upvote 0
I really like this phone. HUGE upgrade from my Hero!

I did have an Evo3d for a couple weeks that I got to play with because the wife picked it up for me... I do like the screen on the evo3d better.. It's much more crisp and clear than the screen on the galaxy.. Some might argue but everytime I looked at the evo 3d I was like this is so sharp... where I look at our screen and yes it's nice, lacks the sharpness to me. It is a very light phone. Almost thought it was fake in the beginning of owning it.lol But now I pick up someone's phone and say damn that's heavy.

Doesn't come with too much bloatware, though there are some sprint things I'd like to get rid of but can't... Sprint ID and that stuff.

Phone is crazy fast to me.. Before I could dl a app and it would take 30 seconds to download and install.
This thing is honestly 3-5 seconds dpending on size of app and it's installed.. I am still blown away by this.

GPS is awesome, doesn't take forever like my last phone and is up within 3-4 seconds.

Got some quirks with touch wiz... You can't "select all" for emails and delete them, you have to manually check each damn email. That's really annoying.

Typing in google I have noticed that if you type past the normal bar and search when you go back to the search bar to EDIT your current "how to make a apple pie" It's hard to scroll all the way to PIE to delete and change the word to say icecream..etc

I really like the swype keyboard, the speech to text is on point and fast.

I dislike the rear speaker. Why they would put it on the BOTTOM of the phone is dumb to me. It's not as loud as I would like and the position of it doesn't help. I like the speaker to be higher near my ear so that way when I talk I talk in to the mic, not just the mic and speaker..etc.

I wish touch wiz didn't look so fisher price. Makes the phone look cheap on an otherwise bad ass platform. If honestly there could be a way to have Sense on here I think it would be perfect phone that I have ever owned.

I like the camera, takes really nice photos.

-Nigel

Upvote 0

My personal example:

Ok I spoke to 2 different Sprint customer service reps and they did not say this. They said whether I upgraded on 10/1, 10/2, 10/3, 10/4 etc etc I still have to wait 20 months for an upgrade.

Upvote 0
That is (also) what they told me. The cut off date was back in sept (15?). It was before the epic touch came out. They read the internal memo to me which was very precise.
-
It was one of the reason I decided to skip buying the epic on the launch day (I didn't want to be stuck with it if it had issues - also my etf expires early Nov so I have the option of switching if I want).

Ok I spoke to 2 different Sprint customer service reps and they did not say this. They said whether I upgraded on 10/1, 10/2, 10/3, 10/4 etc etc I still have to wait 20 months for an upgrade.

Upvote 0
That is (also) what they told me. The cut off date was back in sept (15?). It was before the epic touch came out. They read the internal memo to me which was very precise.
-
It was one of the reason I decided to skip buying the epic on the launch day (I didn't want to be stuck with it if it had issues - also my etf expires early Nov so I have the option of switching if I want).

Its crazy all the info we are told. One rep tells me the ETF is $350 but reduces by $20 per month after the 7th month, another tells me it is $350 no matter what and no pro rated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones