• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So whats your experience with Handcent SMS?

Bg8780

Nov 8, 2009
I have tried using handcent sms for quite sometime now without the cons out weighing pros. So far I have noticed that it tends to drain more battery, some messages are not recieved/sent, and recently today it deleted my entire library of text messages. I am not complaining abot the app at all. I just want to know if my issues are unique or if anyone else has witnessed these issues on their phone. Let me know if I am just an idiot, or if my phone is acting up, or you guys have also had these issues. I hate to get rid of handcent because I like how I can change the color of the notification LED but its not worth having if it means deleting all my text.

Thanks all!

I have had issues with Handcent not sending and receiving texts. Not many, but it has happened. Which is a shame because there's a couple of features in it that I love.

Also, to the OP, you can use the Missed Call app to customize your SMS notifications, so you can pick the color of the LED when using the stock messaging app.

Upvote 0
I'm using Handcent too, find it to be brilliant, haven't had any trouble with it. Haven't noticed any reduction in battery life either, and the Spare Parts app doesn't show it as using an unreasonable amount of battery.

To the people who say they're having problems with receiving, does the message show up in the stock Messaging app, but not in Handcent?

Upvote 0
Re: not receiving texts in Handcent -- I've only had one case (that I know of) so far where I totally didn't receive a text. It was an MMS, though, and I think there were issues with that until a recent update.

But what had happened several times was that I'd get a notification and be able to see the first few words of the message in the notification bar, but when I opened up Handcent, the new message was just not in the thread, in Handcent or the stock app. It disappeared.

And also yesterday I had three messages not get delivered with Handcent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones