• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, when are we getting FROYO??

Like I have been saying since may, I don't think we will see group until September at the earliest. Sprint is notorious for dragging when it comes to updates. And I have no reason to think that will change. I will be glad to eat my words, but don't think I will have to.

HTC EVO FTW!!!!

I agree with your estimate. I think it will be sometime in the fall based on the fact google says they will roll it out late summer. With sprint's track record, it will be a few months after so they can add their custom sprint crap to the build and disable free tethering lol

Upvote 0
I agree with your estimate. I think it will be sometime in the fall based on the fact google says they will roll it out late summer. With sprint's track record, it will be a few months after so they can add their custom sprint crap to the build and disable free tethering lol

My friend! Google is rolling out froyo updates to N1 users as we speak! CNET reports:

"Sprint might have dragged its heels on updating its devices to Android 2.1, but it's wasting no time on Android 2.2. Sprint spokeswoman Michelle Leff Mermelstein told CNET in an e-mail that the carrier is finalizing work on the software and expects to release an update in the "near future."

Yeah, this very well could be sprint claims, which we are all used to. And yes near future could mean anything. But sprint knows this phone is huge. Hopefully this means 2 months at the latest. :D

Upvote 0
I imagine right now the HTC/Sprint team on EVO is up to their necks in fixing existing issues. You probably have a couple updates right there that all require development, testing, etc. Once they have settled some of the big issues going on with the EVO they'll move to testing the 2.2 version of android. I would just wait. Probably not until much later in the year. If you wanted cutting edge google then you should have bought the N1.

Upvote 0
I imagine right now the HTC/Sprint team on EVO is up to their necks in fixing existing issues. You probably have a couple updates right there that all require development, testing, etc. Once they have settled some of the big issues going on with the EVO they'll move to testing the 2.2 version of android. I would just wait. Probably not until much later in the year. If you wanted cutting edge google then you should have bought the N1.

The "team" is probably some outsourcer in India that can add as many developers as they want for a few thousand month each.

Upvote 0

I dont necessarily disagree with your statement of release being a while away, however it doesn't make sense that there will be multiple updates on the evo before we see froyo. Why would HTC spend time fixing bugs in a rom that they are simply going to update to once everything is resolved. As I have learned, for example, JIT requires some work to make certain things compatible. This is something that 2.1 does not have. HTC would be better off directing all hours to 2.2 and launching that as a fix/update. It just makes more sense.. no pun intended :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones