• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So where is the setting to "Never turn off display when plugged in?"

You can find that under Settings | Developer Options | Stay Awake.

On most any other current Android phone, "yes". On the AT&T version Note, "not mine".

c6e4c899-4a7e-48ef.jpg

Upvote 0
I did a little digging and found that this is something Samsung did, not AT&T. Some folks have had success using a free app called anyscreentimeout (Play Link) which has an option to keep the screen on while charging, as well as some other options.

I hope this helps, if not, post back and I'll try something else.

Reactions: JunBringer
Upvote 0
Just my guess, but it has the same samoled screen as my GNex (though larger) and my GNex will barely charge with the screen on. I only leave it on when I am using nav and that is a pretty much a wash. The phone uses as much power as as the charger puts into it. With a larger screen, they are probably trying to limit battery complaints.

Upvote 0
Just my guess, but it has the same samoled screen as my GNex (though larger) and my GNex will barely charge with the screen on. I only leave it on when I am using nav and that is a pretty much a wash. The phone uses as much power as as the charger puts into it. With a larger screen, they are probably trying to limit battery complaints.

Yeah that sums it up.

Upvote 0
I think it also has potential for burn-in when left on too long. I read a user saying they 'ruined' their screen by setting display to the highest brightness and leaving it on for awhile without the display turning off. Now the status bar is faintly burned-in to the screen.

I think the highest time you can set for screen time-off is 30 minutes. I only go as high as 10 minutes when using data/internet.

Upvote 0

So, have it default to not staying awake and allow the user the option to change it if they want. Got to love AT&T. Looking forward to rooting once my warranty runs out.

Upvote 0
...So what's the difference for other apps?

Also, Kindle for Android extends the timeout to several minutes. I haven't counted, but it's considerably longer than the default 15 seconds.

The screen turns off at the designated time set by the screen timeout when using "Maps". Potentially dangerous to wake, and then unlock phone while driving.

With Kindle, screen timeout shouldn't be an issue as there is always activity...well, I would hope that I would be able to read at least one Kindle page within 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
I had this issue when I bought a generic 'dock' (or holder, if you will) for the car. Couldn't keep the screen on for anything. Using google navigation, however, did keep the screen on, but not maps. Someone on xda had mentioned 'car home' in the market. Found a Samsung Car Home, but that app is REALLY generic, non-configurable, and just not optimized for the Note. I did find 'car home ultra', a 3rd party app, and also the app that was mentioned on xda. Car Home Ultra

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...51bGwsMSwxLDMsInNwaW5uaW5naGVhZC5jYXJob21lIl0.

is a really good app. Works very well, lots of options and just plain works with my $8 car dock. Other than purchasing the Samsung car dock for $40, which will activate car mode when docked automatically, this is the best option, in my opinion.

The thing that's needed is a way to activate 'car mode' on the phone, so that the screen stays on. Some phones will allow this, and I've used Launcher Pro to create a shortcut to do this on a previous phone, but this wasn't an option on this phone. Before finding Car Home Ultra, this was a big peeve I had with the Note. Now everything works perfectly as expected. Screen stays on until I exit the app when leaving the car.

Upvote 0
I did a little digging and found that this is something Samsung did, not AT&T. Some folks have had success using a free app called anyscreentimeout (Play Link) which has an option to keep the screen on while charging, as well as some other options.

I installed this yesterday but forgot to test it. I'll try today after I get off work.

Upvote 0
I just started using the "Screen Timeout" setting in the "Quick Settings" app (by halfbit). It allows for a "Never turn off" setting. I had to add the timeout button to the list of viewable settings. Figure I'd stay with the app I've been using for a few years.

Thank you so much !!! I plug in my phone, wait until it's 100 per cent, put on my over the head corded headset, then make my calls to insurance companies (while the phone is plugged into the wall). Listening to those phone trees - by the time I was ready to choose an option, the dang screen would be dark. Not anymore !!!

I works great.

When I get some free time, I am gonna research Tasker - looks pretty interesting.

Upvote 0

Ok I used this this morning on the way to work and it's perfect. You can have the screen on indefinitely while charging or not charging, however you want. Thanks a lot dude!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones