1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

So you want to upgrade your kernel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads' started by g60madman, Jun 29, 2013.

1. g60madman

g60madman Guest

Well shit who doesn't? I for one need to for the Samsung Victory. So what does it entail? So far it doesn't seem too bad and actually really easy especially if you know how to copy and paste and open files. So get ready ctrl+c and ctrl+v

http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=linux-kernel:customizing_for_your_board

The breakdown is you simply need to copy out your boards from your current kernel and replace them in the new kernel. Right now I am taking the stock kernel from Samsung Victory (gogh-vmu) and copying out the board. You will need to copy all of them for wifi, usb, you know all the drivers. The sweet thing is they are located in the Makefile located in your hardware, so since this is an msm it's located in

kernel_folder/arch/arm/mach-msm/Makefile

also you need to copy the Kconfig for your board, along with the deconfig file from kernel_folder/arch/arm/configs/youboardname_deconfig

Sounds to good to be true but so far it is. I also started with the vanilla kernel taken from here

$ git clone git://codeaurora.org/quic/la/kernel/msm -b jb_2.5

Once downloaded you can edit the .git/config and replace it with your url with your github new repo in my case it's listed as url = git@github.com:vmobi-goghvmu/android_kernel_msm.git

Code (Text):
    2. [core]
    3.     repositoryformatversion = 0
    4.     filemode = true
    5.     bare = false
    6.     logallrefupdates = true
    7. [remote "origin"]
    8.     fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
    9.     url = git@github.com:vmobi-goghvmu/android_kernel_msm.git
    10. [branch "jb_2.5"]
    11.     remote = origin
    12.     merge = refs/heads/jb_2.5
    Nice thing is when you push back up you will have all the commits from codeaurora as seen here (yeah I renamed it already after my first push but whatever)

https://github.com/vmobi-goghvmu/android_kernel_samsung_gogh/commits/jb_2.5

Anyways I am still working on this so if I run into stuff I will post on it but so far I still have a bunch to copy and paste.

Good luck, and post away if you have questions!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. g60madman

g60madman Guest

For what it's worth I am actually doing this with meld to make it easier

Meld

If you are running ubuntu you can install it from the software center

3. phenomx4

phenomx4 Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

I'm guessing that you can't do this for a 2.6.35 to 3.x?

4. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

Once again, another wonderful write-up. Just for fun I'll get to this when I go to customize my Epic. I know it's not the same board so it should add insite to the whole idea.

5. g60madman

g60madman Guest

This should work for any kernel

6. phenomx4

phenomx4 Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

It was going pretty well until I hit this error.

HTML:
    1. [HIGH]CC      arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm7x30.o
    2. /home/phenomx4/ics/kernel/lge/msm-ics/arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm7x30.c: In function 'pm8058_gpios_init':
    3. /home/phenomx4/ics/kernel/lge/msm-ics/arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm7x30.c:196: error: variable 'sdcc_det' has initializer but incomplete type
    4. /home/phenomx4/ics/kernel/lge/msm-ics/arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm7x30.c:197: error: unknown field 'direction' specified in initializer
    5. /home/phenomx4/ics/kernel/lge/msm-ics/arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm7x30.c:197: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
    6. error, forbidden warning: board-msm7x30.c:197
    7. make[3]: *** [arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm7x30.o] Error 1
    8. make[2]: *** [arch/arm/mach-msm] Error 2
    9. make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    10. make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    11. make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/phenomx4/ics/kernel/lge/msm-ics'
    12. make: *** [TARGET_KERNEL_BINARIES] Error 2
    13. phenomx4@phenomx4-desktop:~/ics$
    14. [/HIGH]
    Any ideas?

7. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert

Line 196 of /home/phenomx4/ics/kernel/lge/msm-ics/arch/arm/mach-msm/board-msm7x30.c is looking for a type to know what the variable 'sdcc_det' can return. It should be set before the variable is declared.

What is the source for your kernel? At the top of the *.c files there is an include set for the headers (*.h) It can be setup in either set.

8. phenomx4

phenomx4 Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

I just end up with endless errors. Looks like I'm sticking with 2.6 for now.