• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SoCalMiles' Passion Theory

SoCalMiles

Oct 31, 2009
Oceanside, CA
This is my "Passion" theory put together by many bits and pieces of info and rumors. This is my first thread here and I know a lot of this info is found in other threads but I have a theory and wish to share and see what others think soo...

-I think the code name "Passion" project is the Google phone and is supposed to be a huge undertaking in the smart phone world over many carriers, hence the great lengths everyone is going through to keep it hush hush. This also makes sense for Verizon to push the hell out of the Droid due to any deals they had with Motorola first...push that out the way instead of trying to run both advertising campaigns.

-I think it was originally going to be VOIP but would probably end up hurting whoever carried it, plan wise... No money. Plans would start at like $30 - $40 bucks and I'm sure the execs up top weren't liking the sound of that. Probably benefits Google anyways cause they probably made a deal for more money not to have it VOIP.

-I think that other HTC phone in most every rumored pictured web page is not the "Passion/Google" phone cause the screen is to small on it, aesthetically if it were it would make the phone too huge if it had a 4.3 inch screen in it.

-I don't think it will be running Sense UI. Makes sense, if Google has total control, why would they allows another companies trademark software running over it.

-Also makes what the C.E.O said about them not reproducing the HD2 with android also true cause then it would of had HTC sense on it and would have been HTC branded. This is probably due to a deal with Google again so no HTC phone will over shadow this phone for a while.

-I think Google chose to go big with this phone, hardware-wise, because they weren't satisfied with the G1's hardware. Also helps sales if you have the current largest screen alone on the U.S. market. That alone will be a huge selling point in this country. Remember only like 20% of consumers use sites like this. So most people will walk in, say "WOW" and purchase on that alone! Most won't even know what a 1ghz Snapdragon processor brings just that it sounds cool.

Now what I wanna know is, is HTC going to release a similar phone in the future with Sense on it? It looks, to me, like this will be "The Phone" for at least a little while. Hopefully they won't end up releasing something better a month or 2 after I purchase. I'd like to have something cutting edge for a while!

I dont see why Google would object to Sense being on the phone. It goes completely against the idea of an open development project if you tell a developer not to develop for it. Also Sense is the best interface on Android if not any phone (read HD2 reviews to see what I mean). Besides if HTC and Google are working closely enough there is no reason why Sense could be set up to be less intrusive.

Upvote 0
I dont see why Google would object to Sense being on the phone. It goes completely against the idea of an open development project if you tell a developer not to develop for it. Also Sense is the best interface on Android if not any phone (read HD2 reviews to see what I mean). Besides if HTC and Google are working closely enough there is no reason why Sense could be set up to be less intrusive.

Doesn't really go against if you don't put it on there only if you don't allow it. I'm not saying there won't be a way to put it on there, just don't think it'll start that way...Honestly I would love to be wrong, I think Sense U.I. is AMAZING!

Upvote 0
I have to say, the idea of a VoIP-only phone was exciting from the moment I first heard it being considered. If you've ever used VoIP, you know the voice quality is very high - better even than a land line.
We all took a huge technological step backwards in voice quality by "going cellular". VoIP would change that.
The obvious deal-breaker with VoIP is it's a bandwidth hog, which severely limits where such calls can be placed and received.

Upvote 0
This is my "Passion" theory put together by many bits and pieces of info and rumors. This is my first thread here and I know a lot of this info is found in other threads but I have a theory and wish to share and see what others think soo...

-I think the code name "Passion" project is the Google phone and is supposed to be a huge undertaking in the smart phone world over many carriers, hence the great lengths everyone is going through to keep it hush hush. This also makes sense for Verizon to push the hell out of the Droid due to any deals they had with Motorola first...push that out the way instead of trying to run both advertising campaigns.

-I think it was originally going to be VOIP but would probably end up hurting whoever carried it, plan wise... No money. Plans would start at like $30 - $40 bucks and I'm sure the execs up top weren't liking the sound of that. Probably benefits Google anyways cause they probably made a deal for more money not to have it VOIP.

-I think that other HTC phone in most every rumored pictured web page is not the "Passion/Google" phone cause the screen is to small on it, aesthetically if it were it would make the phone too huge if it had a 4.3 inch screen in it.

-I don't think it will be running Sense UI. Makes sense, if Google has total control, why would they allows another companies trademark software running over it.

-Also makes what the C.E.O said about them not reproducing the HD2 with android also true cause then it would of had HTC sense on it and would have been HTC branded. This is probably due to a deal with Google again so no HTC phone will over shadow this phone for a while.

-I think Google chose to go big with this phone, hardware-wise, because they weren't satisfied with the G1's hardware. Also helps sales if you have the current largest screen alone on the U.S. market. That alone will be a huge selling point in this country. Remember only like 20% of consumers use sites like this. So most people will walk in, say "WOW" and purchase on that alone! Most won't even know what a 1ghz Snapdragon processor brings just that it sounds cool.

Now what I wanna know is, is HTC going to release a similar phone in the future with Sense on it? It looks, to me, like this will be "The Phone" for at least a little while. Hopefully they won't end up releasing something better a month or 2 after I purchase. I'd like to have something cutting edge for a while!

Really good theory!

To be honest I have talked my self into waiting till 1st week of march just to make sure I can get what I feel is the most advanced hand set going.Because like you said above,buying one then a month later the mother of them all gets released would make my feelings hurt a bit..:D

lets see what the next 19 days of December will reward us with??

again,great theory

Upvote 0
Great theory!!

Only one thing though. Why would the Hero 2.1 rom floating around have the names passion and passionC in it if they don't plan on adding Sence UI to it? Just a thought.

Also the picture many blogs have been using is not the passion. That is the HTC bravo and has a 3.7" screen (based on an XDA forum member).
There are no pictures of the passion yet and the specs are unknown.

Upvote 0
SenseUI is propriatary software of htc. The google phone will be branded solely as a google device.

You're jumping to the conclusion that htc is making the phone and that it will be marketed as an htc phone.

There are rumors that the g-phone is being made in Korea, which would make it a Samsung or LG device.

Its not much of a jump. HTC made the first Google phone and both Google Developer phones. It would make sense they would make this one as well. There have been rumors on this as well.

Upvote 0
Great theory!!

Only one thing though. Why would the Hero 2.1 rom floating around have the names passion and passionC in it if they don't plan on adding Sence UI to it? Just a thought.

Also the picture many blogs have been using is not the passion. That is the HTC bravo and has a 3.7" screen (based on an XDA forum member).
There are no pictures of the passion yet and the specs are unknown.

Does every HTC name make it to market? its possible the Passion started off as a pure HTC phone and either has become the Google phone, work was stopped on the Passion in favor of the Gphone, or the Passion is going ahead as planned.
But its my understanding HTC names their phone regardless of what the phone will be named later by carrier. So HTC working on a Passion phone would not preclude the Passion becoming the Gphone.
Otherwise though the leaked 2.1 could be due to the Eris getting an OS upgrade.

Upvote 0
-I think the code name "Passion" project is the Google phone and is supposed to be a huge undertaking in the smart phone world over many carriers, hence the great lengths everyone is going through to keep it hush hush.

I don't think that you are right on this one. If you are then Passion is a GSM phone going to TMobile and the Dragon will be a totally different phone that will be CDMA going to Verizon. I just don't see Verizon making VoIP an option for its customers in the near future.

Upvote 0
I don't think that you are right on this one. If you are then Passion is a GSM phone going to TMobile and the Dragon will be a totally different phone that will be CDMA going to Verizon. I just don't see Verizon making VoIP an option for its customers in the near future.

I was going off sort of another "theory" I guess from another thread:

Any Chance the C at the end of some of these phones means cdma. It makes sense to me:

Hero - overseas
HeroC - Sprint's
DesireC - Verizon's

Passion - T-Mobile?
PassionC - Verizon?

Or am I totally off?

It makes more sense if you apply it to that. Or even if the Dragon is Verizon's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones