1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Soccer Scores - FotMob, high Partial Wake Usage. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Demonhotrod, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Demonhotrod

Demonhotrod Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    England
    I've only been using it for a few days (and I have to say I love it) granted it's only the free version which has to "call home" to receive the alerts as opposed to push alerts which is in the paid version, which might be the problem? But basically I went into my Desires Testing page (*#*#4636#*#*) and the FotMob app has an incredibly high usage, it's even higher than the Android System.

Has anyone else found this? Is it much of a problem? I thought high partial wake usage stopped the phone from "sleeping" which in turn can reduce battery life?

Im not all that concerned...yet but it just interested me. I might punt for the paid version if push is that much kinder on my battery

Advertisement

2. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Only found this program today so can't help much. I did notice that the developer says that using Pro (and therefore push email) helps save battery life. I assumed that the free version could be heavy on battery. As the settings allow for update choices of between 1 and 10 minutes for goals I would think that this would be the case.

Ironically, I was going to buy the Pro version as it looks a great app but I don't want push email notification. What with family commitments etc. we often record matches on Sky+ to watch later so the last thing I want is goal notifications! I think I'll settle for turning the app on at times I need it and exiting when I'm done. Incidentally, you did realise that you need to exit when your match(es) are over? (menu button on the Live Scores tab). Sorry if you knew that but sometimes it's easy to miss these things. HTH.

Demonhotrod likes this.
  3. Demonhotrod

None

Jun 15, 2010
    England
    Cheers for the reply man
    Firstly I want to thank you for that little gem of information at the end, I hadn't exited the app after it had finished. I did however notice that the partial wake usage has gone down as the app isn't sending data for the alerts, so it's almost certainly to do with that I should imagine! Definitely a reason to update to the Pro version, especially as I think it's the only football app on the Android market that uses PUSH for alerts.

Secondly if you don't want the PUSH notifications, then there is essentially no reason to get the Pro version I guess. As far as im aware, the only things you get in the paid version are ad-free for 1 year and PUSH. So you wouldn't be missing out.

I can think of nothing worse than knowing the scores before MoTD has been on, if i've been at home all day! Still I find the app useful for when im out and about.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated

4. Pinmac1

Pinmac1 Android Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2011
    UK
    Yes, it looks as if the Pro version would help you out as the free version updates so frequently. I love the app so far as I'm a (ahem) Bristol City fan but live about 150 miles from Bristol so don't hear much news. Setting it as my favourite club should help with that.

Hope you continue to enjoy it and, by the way, for "man" read "woman" or should that be lady!

5. Demonhotrod

None

Jun 15, 2010
    England
    Heh sorry, I didn't mean to offend
    I can't talk too much im an (ahem) Blackburn Rovers fan that lives about 150 miles away too, and it's not been the best of seasons so far... first taken over by chicken farmers and now fighting for survival :/
    Bad times

I am really loving the app so far, it pretty much does everything I want it too (though having slightly more in-depth stats and game analysis like ScoreMobile FC would be awesome too) but I do have one quick question for anyone, roughly, what sort of difference would I see between the Free version (that currently polls every 2 minutes during game times) and the pay version that has Push notifications? I know it's a very hard question to answer because of so many more variables but is it significant enough to notice a difference?