1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Social Hub vs Gmail app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geoff2011, Apr 17, 2012.

1. geoff2011

geoff2011 Newbie

Hi,
    I'm stuck with a nasty problem for which I cannot find a solution. I have always used the social hub as interface to my email accounts, which has its advantages for gmail and yahoo, as mail is pushed and not pulled on a regular basis, which reflects itself in the battery time.
    Today, stupid me, hit the gmail app by accident. I got a message that syncing was now enabled, and all of my gmail emails were pulled into the gmail app. The Social Hub gmail account is empty. I checked the settings and syncing for gmail mails is still disabled. Problem is now, how do I restore all emails in my Social Hub gmail account, and how do I disable the gmail app?
    I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a clue.

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

If you are just concerned with pull vs push then don't worry as the default gmail client also uses push instead of pull.

3. geoff2011

geoff2011 Newbie

Not sure if I agree. For the default gmail client you have to specify every how many minutes you want the mail to be checked. For push, the gmail server pushes a new email as soon as it is there. No mail means no polling.
    But besides that, I do enjoy having all accounts in one app. Saves me desktop space, and more practical I think.

4. brykins

brykins Android Enthusiast

Get K-9 Mail - far, far better than anything else for email. Multiple accounts, Gmail set up as IMAP with IDLE push, multiple sending identities to match all the POP3 boxes that Gmail drags in for me.

5. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

Have you try clearing data / cache in the Gmail app? Or delete the accounts and then setup the accounts again through social hub?

Just some ideas.

6. geoff2011

geoff2011 Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't looked at K-9 yet, but will give it a try.
    Clearing data/cache, please explain. I have looked at the gmail options, but didn't see anything that resembles this action.
    Is it simply deleting all accounts? I have thought about that, but the open question is, do the social Hub and the gmail app use the same data file? since now the gmail app sucked in all mail and the social hub gmail is empty, I do have a suspicion that they are different data files. But what will deleting the gmail app accounts do, and how do I pull in all data again in Social Hub?
    That is by the way an interesting point. Why does all mail appear in the gmail app only? I would expect to have 2 copies.

7. Russell Ng

I am not sure about Social Hub since I use the stock email app which allows me to place all emails (yahoo, google, work) in the app. The accounts somehow appear in the social hub too, so I guess it pulls it from the email app. Pulls from the IM app too where I have my Internet Messaging.

As for the Gmail app, also don't use it. But to clear data / cache, go to Settings/Manage Application and under the All tab, scroll down to Gmail and tap on it. Should see the options there.

I don't think there is any harm in deleting email accounts and putting it in again.

Cheers

8. Kibbster

Kibbster Android Expert

As far as I know (I may be wrong) but you can't delete gmail account off the phone without a factory reset.
    It's integral to how Android works.

9. geoff2011

geoff2011 Newbie

I indeed tried to delete the account, and doesn't work. Same with the Social Hub. I cannot delete the gmail account. I tried to create a 2nd gmail account for the same email address, and doesn't pass either because the address already exists in social hub.
    Some improved Gmail user friendliness would be very welcome I think.

10. Russell Ng

I never had any problem deleting and adding back the gmail (MAIL) account in the stock email app.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews