1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Social Location App won't turn off and is sucking battery dry

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by -Murf-, Sep 13, 2011.

1. -Murf-

-Murf- Newbie

How can I turn this sucker off? I have it on the auto kill list, have gone in and turned it off in task manger and under applications. The thing just keeps coming back.

Advertisement

2. -Murf-

-Murf- Newbie

Dang am I the only one seeing this issue.

3. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

which social location app are you referring to?

4. -Murf-

-Murf- Newbie

It is called Social Location and is in the stock app draw

5. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

Oh, I never opened it, but looking at it, the only menu option it has is Off.

6. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

Oh, I never opened it, but looking at it, the only menu option it has is Off.

Tested, and turning it off from its menu stops it from running.

DanDroide likes this.
  7. Bogie

Bogie Member

I opened the app and selected "off" as well as put it in the auto-end category of the Task Manager and it has not popped up since.

I'm not sure what it does but when I clicked on it it accounted for 95% battery usage.

8. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member

yea, the short amount of time I had it up accounted for 17%

looks like it is doing alot of data streaming.

9. Mother

Mother Newbie

I'm thinking there must be a glitch between that application and however the battery usage is calculated.

I opened it just a few minutes ago for the first time and then chose the option "off" and closed it. Checking my battery usage it now shows it accounting for 52% of my battery usage and shows a total operating time of 28 seconds, while my total time on battery is 12h, 28m. Battery left was 30% before I opened it and remains at 30% after.

So yeah... there definitely has to be a glitch in the battery calculation with that particular app.

10. -Murf-

-Murf- Newbie

The only non-root way to keep it from turning back on is to factor reset the phone.

11. Mother

Mother Newbie

I closed mine yesterday and after a full charge it's not showing in the battery manager any more.

12. -Murf-

-Murf- Newbie

That hasn't worked on mine.

13. jdevine80

jdevine80 Lurker

Had the same problem. I force closed it but didn't help. After awhile what seemed to work was unsubscribing from all the channels in the app, adding to the auto end list and fully charging. It seems like the battery meter doesn't always reset properly unless you fully charge.

14. da2k17

da2k17 Newbie

I just signed up looking for a solution to this issue. Non rooted and no matter what it wont stay off. I tried a few apps that say they can control other programs and was still unable to shut it down. Its been on for five days and is using thesame amount of battery as the andoid os.

15. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

FWIW, I have my phone rooted and I've simply frozen the app so that it doe snot run.

Go into all of your social apps and disable location services (including GMail and ht web browser) and then see if it is still sucking you dry.

it may also be working in tandem with other apps as well, like the VZW apps (all of which I have frozen as well).

Also, be sure to look at my post regarding battery consumption percentages - see http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-bionic/455042-posts-threads-interest.html for the link

16. <SNIP>

... Thom

17. OK ... I was just in the Razr froum and found ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...l-location-app-wont-shut-off.html#post3606669 ... that you apparently posted there (or someone swiped your account).

What DEVICE are you having the problem with? Is the GPS icon always on in the notifiaction area?

... Thom

18. da2k17

da2k17 Newbie

19. Good luck with it.

... Thom