1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Soft brick/endless boot screen after 4.3 update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thirdkind, Jul 31, 2013.

1. thirdkind

thirdkind Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2013
    New member, first post. I've been using a Nexus 4 quite happily for the last 4 months or so without issue. I received the OTA 4.3 update today and installed it. Upon reboot, I got an error (no details, just a dead droid image that said "Error" beneath it). I let it be for a while, but it didn't boot or restart, so I restarted it manually. I'm now unable to boot the phone; it sits endlessly on the animated X (I've let it run for hours with no change).

My Nexus 4 was stock, but I downloaded the WugFresh tools in an attempt to fix things and unlocked it. I tried booting from recovery, the Back to Stock option with Soft-brick/Bootloop selected, ADB Sideload, etc. Sideload seems to work with the latest 4.3 image, but it still sticks at the X upon reboot. I tried the stock 4.2.2 image, but it throws an error because the radio baseband is apparently different in 4.3 and that made its way into my current firmware. I thought about reverting that back to an earlier image from 4.2.2, but I can't find one.

Can anybody help me out? This is my only phone and I'm stuck.

Advertisement

2. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2011
    Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit won't work on 4.3 yet...that's why he pulled 1.65.

I've seen a few posts about this the last few days, but I didn't have this problem...so I didn't really pay attention.

Here is a link to the Stock Images Factory Images For Nexus Devices.

Good Luck

3. thirdkind

thirdkind Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2013
    I followed the guide here and did everything manually. Reinstalled 4.2.2 and the previous baseband firmware, locked/unlocked/locked it again, and just got it to boot. Getting everything back the way it was is going to be a pain in the ass, but I guess that's what I get for never backing up :)

And it figures that the first thing I got upon connecting was the damn system update notification. I think I'll stay away from it for a while.

4. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 31, 2012
    I used the 4.3 factory image (because I was too impatient to wait for the OTA :) and that worked fine.

I quite like using the factory image as it guarantees me a squeaky clean new installation, though admittedly I don't heavily customise my phone so it doesn't take long to set it up again.

5. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2011
    Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit 1.66 was posted last night.

thirdkind and lunatic59 like this.
  6. thirdkind

thirdkind Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for the update. I took a chance on the OTA update again today and it went through without a problem.

xrealtalk likes this.
Tags: