• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soft bricked Nexus 5

JMC333

Lurker
Jul 20, 2017
Hi,
I'm trying to fix my old Nexus 5 but coming up against a soft brick wall.
I've downloaded the wugfresh rootkit and unlocked the bootloader (if I leave it plugged in to the PC at this point, the rootkit reboots my phone back to bootloader where it locks itself again). If I take it out of the computer once I've unlocked it, it stays unlocked.
I plugged it back in and tried the 'flash stock + unroot' option but it then reboots it back into the bootloader while it's doing this and locks the bootloader again. The stock flash fails because the bootloader is locked.
My initial issue was an infinite bootloop of the android dots. When I went into recovery mode it came up that it 'failed to mount cache (invalid argument).
Can anyone help?!

Attachments

• IMG_20170719_082221.jpg
    IMG_20170719_082221.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20170719_081956.jpg
    IMG_20170719_081956.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 206
How to unlock your bootloader
  1. Enter [fastboot oem unlock] in command window.
  2. On your Nexus 5 you should see a screen asking if you want to unlock the bootloader. Use the volume rocker to scroll and the Power button to highlight yes.
  3. Once the phone has finished doing its thing, enter the following command [fastboot reboot]
The device will show a message at boot stating that your bootloader is unlocked. Go back into the bootloader and proceed to flash your factory image

Upvote 0
You may also run into problems with mounting partitions depending on which firmware you HAD on it, and also what factory image you're trying to flash.

I had a similar problem flashing mine after a DU ROM went to shit on me, and after hours of trying to fix it, the only fix was flashing the earliest firmware (4.4) and letting it OTA upgrade back to where you were.

Upvote 0
When you run the flash all.bat it fails to flash two files, which ones they are umm can't remember at the moment.

Anyways you have to extract the zip they're in and put them with the rest of the files and fastboot flash them from cmd or use the flash all bat..

Me i prefer just manually flashing the files via fastboot, wugfresh tool, haven't ever used it but i only hear good things about it.

Give it ten minutes after the initial reboot into the system. If nothing happens during that time frame, go to the bootloader and choose recovery then factory reset the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones