• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soft bricked ZTE Max

I rooted a ZTE Max with Kingo Root. I was not experienced and still currently not. I ended up doing a factory reset and then software update right after the root and was immediately brought to a "boot loop" in recovery mode. I tried wiping the cache and factory reset, to no avail. I have tried flashing the stock stormer rom, found here, to no avail either. I get an error: E: footer wrong E: signature verification ... I tried using the ZTE soft brick ISO and it wouldn't detect the phone. ADB recognizes it but only as an "offline" device unless I turn on sideload on the phone and then it will detect it as sideload device. I am at a loss for ideas. It's no big deal if the phone is trash as I've gotten new phone(s) since this occurred last year. I just feel like there's something that can be done with it. I never installed any ROM flashing software on it which I understand limits the possibility of fixing it. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to try them.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones