• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soft Reboot (found on accident)

burgertime

Android Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Just in case anyone else runs into this problem or needs the answer. I sometimes wear tight jeans. Anyways I would put my phone in my jeans just would reset. I was confused so I started messing around. Turns out some buttons were being hit causing it to reboot. I didn't know this about the phone, then again I didn't read the owners manual!

Anyways here is how you soft reboot. Hold down the power button and volume buttons at the same time. Your phone will then reboot.

**Edited**

Just for the record the jeans were not my problem. Appears my phone just likes to reboot...but still figured out the soft boot this way.

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem or needs the answer. I sometimes wear tight jeans. Anyways I would put my phone in my jeans just would reset. I was confused so I started messing around. Turns out some buttons were being hit causing it to reboot. I didn't know this about the phone, then again I didn't read the owners manual!

Anyways here is how you soft reboot. Hold down the power button and volume buttons at the same time. Your phone will then reboot.

Didn't work for me. are you sure this is how you soft reboot?

Upvote 0
The regular power-off menu comes up, but that's it (holding down power and both volume buttons at the same time for five seconds, right?).

I hate having to shut down the phone and start it back up again -- yeah, I know, it's not a big deal, but there's something more satisfying in having the phone recycle by itself.

Upvote 0
just did it , phone is resetting now actually. make sure screen is on, hold down both volume buttons and tap the power button, it will reset. pretty simple, dont know when i will actually use it but cheers anyway.

*those must be some really tight jeans to be doing that, I would be singing soprano lol

Upvote 0
Just for the record the jeans were not my problem. Appears my phone just likes to reboot...but still figured out the soft boot this way.

My phone used to reboot quite often and I couldn't figure out why (no.....not tight jeans ;). I finally realized that even though I use a case, the the back cover was not on exactly right and I think the battery was losing contact. After I fixed that - took the case and back cover off, made sure the battery was in correctly and put it back together securely, I have not had the again. I was about to exchange it out for a new one, I am glad I figured it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones