1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Soft Reset w/o screen shot

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RBEmerson, Aug 12, 2012.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Android Enthusiast

Is there a way to do a soft reset (press Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time) without getting a screen shot (press Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time)?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tarster

tarster Newbie

yah don't release the keys until the phone has shut off. It will only take a screen shot when you lift your fingers

3. RBEmerson

I wish... the sequence is currently: push both buttons, see the screen shot app take a picture, see the screen go blank as the reset begins, release both buttons.

Is there a switch for the screen shot feature (that is, disable it altogether)?

4. CooperLA1

CooperLA1 Member

i've found that it won't take a screen shot if you press the volume down key first and then press the power key. obviously you have to hold both down to get it to reboot. but pressing the volume down key before starting to press the power button has worked for me

5. arparaspolo

arparaspolo Android Enthusiast

I don't mean to be rude but this information is wrong. Letting the buttons go has nothing to do with anything.

Pressing PWR&Vol- (at the same time) will take a screen shot after a few seconds. A few more seconds after that and the phone will hard reset(simulated battery pull) If you are wanting to do the hard reset, and do not want to take a screen shot, then CooperLA1 is correct. You must not press them at the same time. Press and hold one, then a split second later press and hold the other. Then hold until phone resets. It doesn't matter which you hold first, PWR or Vol- As long as they aren't pressed together and held long enough, your phone will reset without a screen shot being taken.

RBEmerson likes this.
  6. tarster

tarster Newbie

Your right and its ok I was totally wrong on that. thanks for clearing that up.

7. RBEmerson

FWIW, doing it the "take a screen shot" way produces a sort of "non-screen shot". The file exists (I guess, something shows up in various gallery apps, anyway), but it's all black or blank. Anyway, I'll try the revised technique.

8. RBEmerson

arparaspolo's got a winner. The trick is to hold the volume down button first, then hold the power button, otherwise the phone just goes back to idle state (blank screen after "TV off" effect).

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews