• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soft vs Physical buttons

DDave

Nov 17, 2009
So, I'm thinking of jumping from my original Droid to the Droid X2. (I spoke to a tech at the local Verizon store in southern Indiana and she indicated that the Droid Bionic is not coming out anytime in the near future, but I digress).

I tried the physical buttons but boy did it seem to require a lot of pressure to "click" the buttons. I know I'm just used to the soft capacitive touch buttons, so I'm wondering, has anyone else made the change from soft capacitive touch to physical and found it easier? Better? Worse?

I moved from a D1 to the DX2, I dont mind the physical buttons for the day and half I have used it thus far but I'm not sure which I prefer more. With the D1 you were not always sure if the button press had registered sometimes especially if the phone was running really slow. With the DX2 there is no doubt.

I wouldn't let a thing like physical buttons slow you down in upgrading to a great phone unless the build quality was horrible (and its not).

Upvote 0
I went from the D1 to the DX2... at first I HATED the physical buttons, but after a couple days, it wasn't a bother at all. I think it's just habit for me... what I knew was most comfortable. I liken it to going from a physical keyboard to Swype... awkward as hell at first... seems to slow you down, but after some exposure, it's like you have always been doing it that way.

Funny thing is... the hardest thing for me to adapt to is the location of the back button!! I am soooo used to it being on the far left! I keep hitting the menu key. lol This one is going to take more like a week to acclimate to!

Upvote 0
I don't have the x2 yet, I have the Moto D, and I can't tell you how many times that I've handed somebody my phone to show them something and they quickly hand it back saying "I don't know what I did" when they end of pushing one of the capacitive buttons (not to mention how many times it happens when my 6yo daughter is playing a game on the phone) I'm ordering the x2 and the buttons is one of the main selling points for me.

Upvote 0
I don't have the x2 yet, I have the Moto D, and I can't tell you how many times that I've handed somebody my phone to show them something and they quickly hand it back saying "I don't know what I did" when they end of pushing one of the capacitive buttons (not to mention how many times it happens when my 6yo daughter is playing a game on the phone) I'm ordering the x2 and the buttons is one of the main selling points for me.

This is one reason I bought the X2 and traded in my incredible 2.

Upvote 0
If you're interested in trying capacitive buttons on the DX2, there's a free program in the Android Market called "Button Savior." I've been testing it out for a few minutes now and it seems to work well. Worried the physical buttons may not last the entire two years, which would obviously be a problem in the absence of an on-screen alternative.

Upvote 0
If you like playing the game emulators, the DX2 is the best device out IMO:

1. No capacitive buttons to touch by accident when using Vpads.
2. The slightly wider & shorter form factor fits better for playing in landscape mode
3. Tegra 2 handles N64 and PSX very well (MUCH better than Hummingbird and the single core Snaps)

Nice bonus is two ways to wake the device (power and home).

Upvote 0
I went from an original Droid to the X2 recently. The physical buttons are noticebly harder to press, and it can be annoying/cumbersome when you're using it in landscape mode. However, I think it is less annoying than accidently hitting the capacitive buttons on my Droid all the time. In the end it all comes down to personal preference. If you don't really have a problem accidently hitting the capacitive buttons, then you with probably prefer them over the hard press buttons, but it definitely shouldn't be a deal breaker. The X2 is an awesome phone.

Upvote 0
I prefer the physical button feel. With soft buttons I sometimes questioned if I actually 'clicked' the button when the phone wouldn't respond right away. With hard keys I always know if it's not responding due to not pressing it or phone lag. Some may question the longevity of hard keys but from what I've seen on my OGX they are quite durable. I got the phone on launch day (july 15th)

Upvote 0
I, too, preferred physical buttons until I moved to the Incredible 1 - the capacitive buttons are just so effortless and convenient and I personally have had few problems with accidental presses. The DX2's buttons, however, are just plain bad. A good implementation of physical face buttons is the Droid Charge - they are soft, yet responsive. The DX2 buttons are very thin, too close together, loud and require way too much pressure. It really does get in the way of the experience. With my incredible, pressing those capacitive buttons was like second nature. Now, I try to find ways to avoid pressing those buttons. Definitely room for improvement here. One of the reasons I'm returning the DX2 for the Inc2.

Upvote 0
I went from an Eris to DX2 last week. One of the things I was looking forward to was the physical buttons. I love the DX2 in general but now that I've been using it a few days I wish it had capacitive buttons. The main problem with the ones on the Eris were that they were sluggish when the phone was busy. The DX2 is so fast that that would not be a problem. With the naked phone the physical buttons are OK (although they take a noticeable amount of effort to push) but I got the VZ silicone case which covers the buttons and not only hides the icons but makes finding the button positions more difficult. Will possibly get used to this after a bit more use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones