• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SoftBricked Galaxy S No Download Mode - Am I Screwed?

Hopsin73

Lurker
Jul 27, 2011
OK So,

I recieved a Galaxy S today, and having some experience with a HTC Desire HD I knew how rooting/flashing roms work. But this is different.

I have flashed twice so far. Once trying to get to CM7 MIUI but that failed, leaving me in a recovery loop. So I panicked. I then used someones one click odin restore on the XDA forums ([STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers), however being the idiot I am didn't read that it was Vibrant firmware and not i9000 firmware (I assumed they were all the same phone, just different names for different countries).

Download mode was working 100% before I did this, and now I can't get it to work for the life of me. Can someone please help? I am stuck at the AT&T boot logo and I can't do anything. It just sits there. I have the correct firmware from my carrier (512 pit file and .tar PDA file... but no csc is that ok?), I know how to flash it back to stock, but I can't get into the freaking download mode. Why is this? Is it disabled for good? Will a jig help me at this point. I understand my phone isn't fully bricked since the logo still boots up. I am just hoping that something will work :(

I would really appreciate your help, since no one over at xda is really giving me answers.

Theres 2 things to try !

Little known facts :

1/ 3 button combos (download mode etc) can also be accessed with the phone switched OFF !
Remove and refit battery and try download mode BEFORE turning phone on - it does work believe me.

2/ Install Samsung Kies and set it to 'run when phone connected' in preferences/options menu of Kies.
Connect phone and leave it for several minutes
It may force the phone to boot so you can access download mode this way.
(You may have to download Samsung drivers if you have never had Kies on your PC before)

from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728929

Try option one first !

Cheers

Nevy P

Upvote 0
Theres 2 things to try !

Little known facts :

1/ 3 button combos (download mode etc) can also be accessed with the phone switched OFF !
Remove and refit battery and try download mode BEFORE turning phone on - it does work believe me.

2/ Install Samsung Kies and set it to 'run when phone connected' in preferences/options menu of Kies.
Connect phone and leave it for several minutes
It may force the phone to boot so you can access download mode this way.

Try option one first !

Cheers

Nevy P

Failing all the above get a jig from ebay.

Upvote 0
Good Luck !!!

Post back with any news !!

However i also suggest contacting this guy - the Fonefixer - he REALLY is an android expert (i have read somewhere that he was a technician for Samsung)

If you have any questions about flashing ROMs and which specific files etc then he is your man and will give you one to one advice and help !!

EasyDroid.net | The Easy Android Forum • View forum - Samsung Mobile Phones - Help & Support

You will have to create a login first ofcourse !!!

Regarding CSC files : i am certain that you should be OK if the original CSC file is intact (i think that you can safely flash any CSC file if the phone is unlocked (the CSC file configures the phone for whatever country and network)

If you manage to reflash the phone and your IMEI is missing then you will be in BIG trouble - i am not sure if this can be fixed !!

Cheers

Nevy P

Upvote 0
Okay I recieved my download mode jig 15 minutes ago and I am happy to say that download mode works. However I am now facing further problems. I am trying to flash with odin but it gets stuck at the cache .rfs part. I've already turned the phone off, closed odin and tried again but right now it's stuck at cache.rfs.

I am using three seperate files.

Phone:MODEM_I9000DTJP3.tar.md5
PDA:CODE_I9000DTJP5.tar.md5
CSC:CSC_I9000XSAJP4.tar (my countries correct csc file)

with the 512.pit, re-partition is CHECKED.

I don't know where to go now? That was exactly how my phone was at stock, and I'd like to get back there.

I also have another file...JP5_JP4_U_JP3_101127.tar. Which I believe is those three files mentioned above all in the one package. Should I try this with re-partition unchecked and without the 512.pit?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones