• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Softkeys broke, need to backup contacts. (No Root)

snapcase

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2009
So on a relative's Rezound, their softkeys completely stopped working (which I see has become something of a common problem for the Rezound as of late). They made an insurance claim, and got a replacement Rezound. All is well with that phone.

The problem is, that the contacts from the old phone are not synching properly to google. The contacts automatically loaded on the new phone are at least 6 months old. I tried forcing a synch in the options with no luck.

I wanted to export the contacts to the SD card, but the damn buttons don't work. I found several apps to create an overlay of softbuttons, but the non-root options don't include "menu button" functionality, making it useless for me.

So, does anyone know a good way to backup the contacts so I can import them to the new Rezound without the use of the menu button?

I ended up using My Backup Pro (the free version won't let you restore across different devices) to backup and import the contacts. It wasn't perfect by any means... the numbers that got added didn't get sorted properly into the groups they were in before, so that'll have to be done manually. But at least the numbers got transferred successfully.

Now I just need to have them sort the contacts, then make sure they're all saved to the same place... and maybe convince them to let me root the new phone so we'll have more options should the softkeys die on it eventually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones