• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

software development for a novice...

What I do when I want to study a new scripting lanuage is,

I first read through the basic commands of that language so that I have a global idea what the commando's are.

Then I grab a pre-scripted file and i start to read that and try to figure out what that person is trying to do with that piece of script.

Once you can read it, then it's time to edit files. Once you get the hang of that, you start an easy script on your own.

I'm not sure what scripting language you're going to learn but Photoshop Tutorials, Flash Tutorials and More! P2L Tutorial Search is a really good website.

Upvote 0
I'm not a professional and almost finished with getting my degree, but here's my opinion.

When you get the hang of one language, it's easier to learn other languages because most of the concept is the same. C++ is a good language to start at IMO.

If you want to take a look at some books, here is what I recommend.

C++ How to Program by Deitel
Murach's Java SE 6

Murach's book is great. It has example codes on almost every single page of the book and he also makes those codes available on his site.

Right now I'm taking an "advanced java" class (that's the actual name). Everything that I learned in C++ helped me a lot so right now I'm just cruising through the class. Just don't make it harder than it needs to be. I did that a lot in data structures now that I think back, but that's a different story.

Upvote 0
I'm actually looking into doing the same thing. I have a C# book on my ottoman that I've not touched in a while. I haven't had the drive or time to do so. But, i have noticed since I did a lot of web code, a few general principles remain, so I can read and understand what's going on better than the dude down the street who's never seen a line of code. I find Flash was a simple little introduction, but it's very visual oriented, naturally....Something like C# or C++ is a great way to go, and just slowly move with that in some basic forms to get the idea of what you're in for.

C++, C#, Java, Python, and ActionScript are some of the most common and popular forms of programming. I might actually sit down with my Java book sooner or later, granted this java book is up to date. My grandfather lent it to me. Java 2.0, which I hope is up to par.

Upvote 0
C++ sucks. Don't use it as a step to learn Java, unless your school makes you do it that way. If you want to learn Java (or C#, or whatever) just learn it. Don't learn one language just to learn another. Things that are business as normal in one language could be useless or worse in another.

I don't think he referred to that. When you know a certain scripting language, it's easier to learn another language.

Upvote 0
I don't think he referred to that. When you know a certain scripting language, it's easier to learn another language.

Don't take this advice. It's bad advice that will get you writing bad code.

Familiarize yourself with the languages you are going to learn in your class, and read the book. My intro to computer science class went from 15 to 5 with only 2 passing because people expected the professor to teach us the language. They will give you bits and pieces, but the only way to really learn the language is to read the textbook, learn the different syntax and semantic nuances of the language, look at the examples, and do the assignments. Again, do not learn something stupid like ActionScript or JavaScript or something. They will teach you stuff like if/else statements and loops and variables and whatnot, but generally they are loosely typed languages (compared to C++ and Java, at least) and what will confuse you later on and cause you to write really bad code. Worse than you will already be writing since you're a novice (all novices write bad code. It's just a fact of life).

Again, read the textbook, look at the examples, and do your assignments. If you have questions, go see your professor. That's the best way to learn how to program in this situation.

Upvote 0
Again, read the textbook, look at the examples, and do your assignments. If you have questions, go see your professor. That's the best way to learn how to program in this situation.

This is critical. Take this from someone who breezed through high school never having to ask for help on anything, only to get kicked around in college because I was "too smart" to need to ask for help. In one of my college classes we wrote a Matlab clone in C++ iteratively over the semester. While I was still in full ego mode I got B's and C's on the programs and a C on the midterm. After I swallowed my pride and started seeing the professor during office hours for help, I got an A on the final exam and an A (maybe even over 100%, I don't remember) on the final project.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones