1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Software Update for Infuse 4G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dlee1001, Jun 11, 2011.

1. dlee1001

dlee1001 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    Ever since I read that there was a software update available for the Infuse 4G, I tried to get it.

Every time I try, I'd turn my phone off, pull the battery out, and then put everything back together and turn it on again. Then I'd go over to the applications settings and force stop and clear data for the Device Management. After that I'd turn off my Wi-fi (regardless of whether I was connected or not) and let my data connection take over. Then I would prompt the phone to check for updates. It would display the blue and red arrows and say "Connecting to DM Server."

But every time I do so, it always fails, showing the "Connection failed. Unable to communicate with the AT&T servers." It doesn't seem to matter if my signal is at a good 4 or 5 bars. It always fails.

What does a person have to do to get this software update? How do you do it? Please help!

Advertisement

2. element526

element526 Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Space Coast
    Try leaving the WiFi on, some updates require this. Go to Settings, at the bottom there is a tab for Software Updates. Press that and see what it says. You may already be up to date.

3. somanyapps

somanyapps Well-Known Member
    None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    I've had the same issue. No resolution. Assuming it needs a resolution. I called AT&T, and they forwarded me to Samsung. I'm not sure they understood the problem. The phone did behave slightly differently after I spoke to AT&T, but if I try to check for an update I still get the unable to connect error. I have no other trouble with the phone, doing anything, that I am aware of. Other people using the Infuse have encountered the same problem, and I saw references to the same issue but with a different phone. The Captivate I think. Some of the people reporting the problem have eventually gotten it to work, doing various things, but the reason I'm wondering whether there really is a problem is for a few reasons. There has been mention that if you don't need an update you may get this response. Bad response if that's the case. There has been disussion that the update doesn't go out to everyone at the same time, so eventually you will get it, and some who reported the problem, tried multiple times, then finally got it. Samsung told me I don't need an update, but a couple of the version numbers (baseband is one) on my phone don't match what is said to be the latest. There have been various things suggested, clearing cache, getting a good OTA signal, changing the date, turning off wifi, replacing the phone, or taking it back to where you got it and see what they can do. Right now I don't really know what to make of it. Again, not even sure I need the update, so I can't say there is a problem as far as that goes. However, you should not get an unable to connect message, but rather a you are up-to-date message. I think there is something that needs fixing. Whether it is a more serious issue of not being able to update the phone, or just a poor response, who knows?

4. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Just tried the update check in a location where I get 5 bars. Still same message.

5. artbytes

artbytes Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    When I tried to connect without wifi on, I couldn't connect to the server. However, with wifi on, I connected right away. It tells me I don't need an update. Are there version numbers I should check?

6. dlee1001

None

Jun 2, 2011
    I just did another update check with Wi-fi on. What happens is that it takes longer for the arrows to appear (sometimes they don't appear at all) and the data icon appears next to my Wi-fi icon, disappears, and then reappears. This happens throughout the check.

The final result? The exact same message I've gotten every time: "Connection failed. Unable to connect to the AT&T server."

Well, those are all the tricks in my bag. Anyone else having the same problem? Knowing how to fix this issue would be great.

7. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Still doesn't work for me. I don't know if it needs to connect to the AT&T server for other than for updates. If it does it would be nice to be able to confirm whether it is a connection problem or an update issue. In other words, maybe the connection is fine and we don't need an update, or there is some other issue with the update itself, not the connection. But, I haven't been able to find out if there is some way to test the connection.

If you haven't done so already, I would call AT&T and see what they can do for you. If nothing else it would be one more person reporting it, and maybe you'll get the person who knows the answer. I called last week. They tried to help, but they did eventually forward me to Samsung, who wanted to reset my device. I'm not sure they completely understood the problem. I didn't reset it. I'm not sure if they were going to have me use the factory reset option, or do something else.

Regarding the versions, I saw posted somewhere the version info. I think it was another forum, maybe over on xda. Even though Samsung told me I was up-to-date my version numbers did not match exactly those that were posted, assuming that info was accurate. I don't have the exact info in front of me, but the difference between my phone and the supposed new versions was in the baseband number and the build number. Mine end in D5 and the new one ends in E something, maybe E3.

8. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    I have no idea what's going on, whether my phone needs an update or not, and whether AT&T or anybody else knows anymore than I do about it.

Yesterday, I received a DM notification, and eventually got the connection failure response. After some time on the phone with two levels of AT&T support they suggested I return the phone for a new one, which I did. The new one does exactly the same thing. I did notice during the phone call to AT&T, after turning it off for awhile at their request, upon turning it on it appeared to be connecting, or trying to connect to the server. The little arrows remained for a long time then eventually went away with no error, but as far as I can tell nothing actually updated. The guy at the store where I exchanged the phone probably thought me a little crazy for worrying about it and felt there probably isn't an update. He might be right, and others have had the same opinion. The problem is nobody really knows. There seems to be conflicting info, and differences of opinions on it.

I plan on keeping the phone, unless I find something I really don't like, and hoping that when there is a "significant" firmware update, like 2.3, the update will take place as it should.

9. andyandy

andyandy Lurker
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Pharm. Student
    Virginia
    I have been having the same trouble with updating my infuse. I get failed connections when I try to update and the "connection to DM server" would pop up randomly without me pressing the check for updates button in the setting field. The first time I end up getting a "No Firmware" message when I press the check for update button. And it would keep repeating the message EVERY TIME.:eek:>:thinking:>:mad:

I called Samsung and was able to get a person who acknowledged that there was a recent update for the infuse. I explained my situation and she basically couldn't help me with the issue so she suggested that I did a master reset, you know, the one where you hold the two volume button and the power button at once and it would pop up the black-and-green-text screen. Once I the reset and so forth, it was still in the same firmware, build number, and baseband. However, this time when I pressed the check for updates, it connected with the DM server and then telling me that there was no updates available. I hung up and thought I was safe and didnt have to go and return my phone.

Now, about 2 weeks later, my phone did the same thing over again. I'm considering going back and exchanging my phone to something else that actually updates and not a flaw in the manufacturer of the design/network/etc. It might be a small thing for some people and I'm sure that most infuse-user can live without that minor update --hopefully not the important one like Gingerbread--but just having that minor flaw is annoying at least and it bugs me like crazy.

I'm going to try and see what I can do to get a connection with the correct baseband and build number.

10. dlee1001

None

Jun 2, 2011
    What exactly happens when you do a master reset on this phone, pressing both volume buttons and the power buttons? Not that I'm actually going to try it; I'm just curious.

11. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    andyandy,
    I replied but for some reason I don't see it. Not sure what happened. However, the short version of my original reply was regarding your last statement. How will you get the latest baseband and build to test the connection, if the problem is you can not connect to get them? Is there a way to manually update them?

This is a dilemma? I like the phone. I don't want to abandon it for something else that I may not like as much, or has problems of its own. The bigger issue to me is just determining exactly what's happening, and why. Is there a problem with the phone or not? That is what's frustrating? The phone works great otherwise, at least as far as I know. Does the phone need to connect to AT&T servers other than for updates, and isn't there a way to test it? Can you go to someone, like an AT&T store, and have them work some magic to see what's happening?

12. Canesfan

Canesfan Android Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    the Desert
    Don't worry...My Infuse successfully updated two days ago and I've yet to notice any changes, It still exhibits the same quirks :thinking:.

somanyapps likes this.
  13. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Canesfan,
    Did you get some kind of notice that the update was successful? Had you had problems on previous attempts? Did the version numbers change? In particular, it is the baseband and build numbers on my phone that do not match what are supposed to be the latest. Thanks.

14. Canesfan

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    the Desert

Yes, I got a successful update notation and had no previous attempts.

Oops, I don't know about the version number but if I find out I'll post it.

15. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Just look at Settings>About Phone. Scroll down to the bottom of the list for Firmware, baseband, and build. I believe the latest for baseband and build should end in E3. I have D5.

16. Canesfan

Jun 5, 2011
    Male
    the Desert
    Thanks. Yeah, my Baseband does end with E3.

17. andyandy

andyandy Lurker
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Pharm. Student
    Virginia
    It erases everything, I guess it's like a factory reset without going into the setting menu. I did the factory reset twice to see if the update would work, it didn't. It still stated "no firmware". After I did the reset, according to the Samsung Rep, the phone went ahead and said that I was up to date. However, this isn't true because my baseband ended in D5, which ultimately is not the updated version.

Yes it is frustrating. Even if this "update" in the beginning of June is consider as "minimal" and not a drastic change, it still bugs me a lot not knowing why it won't connect--and ultimately update. I really like the phone too. Right now, I have the "connecting to DM server" icon on my status bar, it pops up randomly throughout the day?

I haven't been to the AT&T store to have them check it out yet, but I will probably stop by when I get a chance.

18. dlee1001

None

Jun 2, 2011
    Hey guys. I haven't been on here a while, so please pardon my delay of posting a reply.

I finally called AT&T Customer Service (611) yesterday, and I got connected with technical support. What they said was that the reason why the connection to the AT&T servers failed on my phone (and possibly everyone's phones that says "connection failed") is because when the phone connects to the server, the system acquires your phone's serial number (IMEI number) and other information about your phone (like the baseband thing).

The representative I talked to kindly informed me that my phone's information was NOT in the system. She said that was why my phone could not connect to the servers. She arranged a commitment team to call me tomorrow and get my phone information into the system to force the software update to my phone. Let's hope that solves this problem.

Also, another thing I learned from this representative was that the "software update" this entire post is about is actually a firmware update, not a software update. AT&T does firmware updates; Samsung does operating system updates. They're not the same thing.

A note about the Samsung KIES software: the KIES for the Samsung Infuse 4G will be available for download when Android 2.3 becomes available for this phone. Try going to Samsung and clicking "Software." The only thing you'll find is a driver for the smartphone. That's because Android 2.3 isn't ready for Samsung Infuse 4G yet.

Hope that solves some of your problems. For those of you still having problems, I strongly recommend you calling AT&T about this. They're really nice and are willing to help you.

somanyapps likes this.
  19. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    dlee1001,
    Please let us know whether you receive the update after AT&T gets your phone information. My phone has not received the update. I have spoken to AT&T three times and Samsung twice. The results of my last conversation with AT&T basically came down to I will get the update when the rollout finally reaches my phone. Since I have not received notification that the update is ready, and every time I try I get the connection failure I'm betting I have the same problem, assuming of course, that that is the problem. At no point did anyone ever try to verify my phone information (IMEI) other than the software versions I have to confirm whether my phone should get the update. Also, if it works, could you tell us exactly what information they had wrong or incomplete that resolved it for you. It would be nice to be able to tell them specifically what they need to do. Thanks.

In the meantime, I may go back to where I bought the phone tomorrow to see if this is something they can check on.

20. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    Well, I went back to where I purchased the phone, and indeed, the IMEI number was eithing incorrect or had not been entered. I'm not sure if there was anything else missing or not. Now there is a new wrinkle. I can't say for certain that it is related, but I did not notice the problem until after the info was updated. My phone is no longer able to "see" the network for data. I don't even see the little H+ or E icon at the top of the phone. I do have bars. Phone calls are working. I can receive text messages, but I can not surf the web, go to the Market, etc. Wifi works fine. I spent a long time on the phone with AT&T trying to figure out why my phone is not working, with no success. They created a case to escalate it to the next level. It could be a problem with the network, but as of my conversation with them none had been reported. Also, I had not noticed it until I got home, so I don't know if it is a local issue. I have not been having problems at home, but I will try later in another location. So, in addition to not getting the update I now can't send and receive data over the phone network,

21. Egidio

Egidio Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Austin, TX
    somanyapps, this really sucks! Haven't they offered to replace your phone? It seems to me like that should be the correct thing to do. You're paying full price for your plan, but you're not getting what you're paying for. Doesn't seem right.

22. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    To be fair it has only been about 24 hours since I discovered the issue. It was fine before that. I am not yet convinced there is a problem with the phone. If there is, it is coincidental to changes made to my account. You're right, I am paying for data, but in reality I have not yet been inconvenienced. My phone works for calls and messages, and frankly, much of the data use with this phone has been at home using wifi, and that works. If it is something with my account then it should have been easy to resolve, I would think, so I do wonder about that. Since it has been escalated I am willing to give them a chance to fix it. I hope to hear from them soon.

23. dlee1001

None

Jun 2, 2011
    OK, so I got a call from AT&T yesterday and they said that my phone was ready for the update. So I tried checking for updates for like the billionth time...no dice. The representative said that he was going to do some research on this and said that he'll call me back within an hour. Never did.

I kept trying to check for updates, doing anything I can to get it to connect, but the results were the same. No connection.

I called AT&T this morning and got connected to tech support. This person thought I had issues with my flawless data connection and started to guide me around my phone's web browser to see if my data connection works. When I told her that I needed to do a firmware update and told her everything I knew about what happens when I try to check for them, she could not help me; she was so stumped that she hardly knew what I was talking about. Eventually she connected me to Samsung.

I talked to a Samsung representative, who indeed acknowledged that the baseband version for the phone (to find that, go to Settings>About phone and then scroll all the way to the bottom to see it) should be I997UCKE3. She was very knowledgeable about that. Mine ends in D5, which obviously is not the latest version. Back when the AT&T tech support representative and I were on the line, she tried doing a search on these baseband versions and got no results.

The Samsung rep told me to save my contacts to the SIM card, remove it and then do a soft reset (turn the phone off, take the battery out for a minute and then turn it back on again). Then we tried to check for updates again, and it of course failed.

Now came the part that I almost never wanted to hear: she said I needed to factory reset the phone by turning the phone off, removing the SIM card, and then pressing both volume buttons and the power switch at the same time to force the phone to get into recovery mode. The user data wipe finished in less than 5 seconds, and within 5 minutes, I saw my phone's new out-of-the-box configuration again.

After this tedious process, I was told to wait for 24-48 hours for the notification to get the software update. It didn't matter, said that Samsung representative, whether I had Wi-Fi on and connected or not. As long as I have service with AT&T, I should be fine, she said. If somehow I don't get a notification or the connection to the AT&T servers fail again, I should call Samsung again and try to fix the problem. As of this posting, I have not even touched the Device Management application. I'll tinker with it again if I don't get anything after 2 days or if I get really nervous. :)

One question just arose though while I was contemplating what happened during the 70-minute phone call: could the type of data plan I have affect the connectivity with the AT&T servers? Go to AT&T's website and look at the data plans they offer with the individual or family plans. You'll find data plans for Blackberries, iPhones, non-smartphones, and, finally, 4G devices, which is applicable to our phones. If when we started service the clerk chose the wrong data plan, could that be the cause of this connectivity failure?

somanyapps likes this.
  24. somanyapps

None

May 27, 2011
    VA
    dlee1001,
    I feel your pain. I am having the same problem with the update, although I have no idea if it is for the same reason. Unfortunately, everything regarding that problem got pushed to the back burner while we tried to figure out why I had no data connection. It had something to do with updating my account with the correct IMEI number, or at least was coincidental to that, but I can't be certain of that. The data connection did start working again yesterday afternoon, not long after I posted here, and is still working this morning. But it is not clear to me why it stopped, or what they did to get it working. Now that that problem seems to be resolved I will take another look at the update issue. They did say it may take some time to get it, but I don't think anyone knows. Like you, conversations with support have ranged from "what update, to a problem with my phone service and questions that were unrelated to my problem, to people who seem to know their stuff but still couldn't resolve it. Whether right or wrong I am not going to return the phone to go through this whole process again. I like the phone, and I'm hoping that it will eventually get resolved, or I'll at least get 2.3 if and when it is released. Hope things work out for you. Anything you find out is appreciated. Thanks.

25. dlee1001

None

Jun 2, 2011
    Yes, I love this phone. There are no other glitches on this phone; if only this worked, this phone would be perfect. Returning this phone...I really don't want to go there. I probably never will. But anyway, I'll be sure to update you on new information, like what I had to do that got me the update and what kind of notification I might get. So far I've tried turning the phone off and doing a battery pull and rebooting, but there was no notification yet. I hope the factory reset works.

If I somehow get the update, then I'm going to conclude that the factory reset magically solved the problem. But that, of course, won't happen anytime soon if I still don't get the update. It's been nearly a month since that maintenance update rolled out, and I can't believe we still didn't get it.

Someone here, please assure us that AT&T rolls updates out in increments of a certain number of customers per day. That's the kind of thing I've been reading in some forums, that everybody doesn't get the update at once, that they'll get them at different times. Can someone please verify this?