1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Software Updates On S3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by charliehowes, Jan 8, 2013.

1. charliehowes

charliehowes Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2010
    I've had my S3 since the day of release & had a few HTC smart phones the fews years prior to getting my S3.

When an update was available when I had a HTC handset I could either check manually, if I'd read about an update online, or I was regularly alerted that one was available and did I want to download it.

In the 8 or so months I've had the S3 I'm yet to receive an alert telling me of any updates & if I know they're being rolled out I'm yet to click to update manually & not be told that "the updates are available in the order they're requested".
    Why does it do this ? How could I just click to update with HTC yet with the S3 I find myself constantly trying to do it manually ?

Also over the last week I have been checking regularly because I was aware an update was being rolled out.
    I've checked at least a dozen times & everytime, up until today, was told updates available in order requested. Now today when I've checked I get a message telling me "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available."
    Can anyone tell me what this means and why I'm getting it.

Also could anyone please tell me why everytime I restart my phone it reverts back from Chrome to stock browser & Swiftkey 3 to stock keyboard ?

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

2. ADRz

ADRz Member
    None

Nov 19, 2011
    I have never encountered the message that you are receiving. Have you rooted your device? If you have, this may explain the message. I would suggest that you should not bother for OTA updates and use KIES. Not the easiest solution, but quite effective.

charliehowes likes this.
  3. realseawolf

realseawolf Lurker
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Male
    I kept receiving the "the updates are available in the order they're requested" message on Android 4.1.1 on Vodafone firmware when I manually checked for an OTA update on the phone.

When I connected the phone to the Samsung KIES software on the PC, it informed me a newer Vodafone firmware was available, which i applied.

Now my phone is Android 4.1.2, where upon manually checking for OTA updates on the phone it says "The latest updates have already been installed".

My phone status is listed as Normal.

Dave

4. charliehowes

None

May 5, 2010
    Thank you for your replies.
    Phone is not rooted & when I've tried to install the update manually today it's back to saying "Access to the software update service is provided to users in the order which they request it. Try later.

Can anyone please tell me how to use Kies, I haven't got a clue lol.

5. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    You just plug the phone into the USB... It will tell you if theres an update

charliehowes likes this.
  6. ADRz

ADRz Member
    None

Nov 19, 2011
    Just download the software to your PC/Mac and install it. Then connect your phone via USB and launch it. It will sense your phone, examine the software version and update it if necessary

charliehowes likes this.
  7. charliehowes

None

May 5, 2010
    Cheers for the replies folks, managed to get Kies working and got updates installed :)

Can anyone please help me with my other question ?
    Why does my keyboard and web browser revert from Chrome and Swiftkey back to stock whenever I reboot the phone ?

Thanks

8. Pothers

Pothers Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    Male
    Devon, UK
    I think it's a JB bug, mine does the same. Or it used to. I'm rooted (but still on stock at the moment) so I frooze the Samsung keyboard with Titanium Backup