1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tips solar charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by moflopes, Aug 6, 2013.

1. moflopes

moflopes Lurker

Does anyone know if there is charger for galaxy s3 (I9300)?

Advertisement

2. SebaKL

SebaKL Android Enthusiast

Solio's Bolt, Solar Charger supports S2, I suppose they won't have a problem charging S3.

Unfortunately that's the only Solar charger I know of, I have never used one, nor am I planing on using one, so I can't be of any more help :)

moflopes likes this.
  3. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User

I don't recommend solar chargers with build-in battery !
    Charging the phone with such a solar charger is not the problem :)

But charging the the build-in battery of the solar charger by using the sunshine, that is a problem ;)
    It works, but, with a reasonably build-in battery, its panel needs about three sunny days to charge its build-in battery.

The reason for this delay is a general design fallacy of this kind of solar chargers with build-in batteries.
    The panel needs the sun, but the in-build Li-Ion battery hates the heat of the sun.

A Li-Ion battery to charge above temperatures of +45C (+113F) will be dangerous, so the charging circuit will shut off the charging when the battery reaches this temperature.
    So there will be delays, because when the sun is the brightest the charging of the solar charger will be shut off :(

Far better are solar panels without a build-in battery. They can charge the phone directly or can charge a separate mobile charger's build-in battery for later use.

For such a "stand-alone" solar panel one should choose high quality.
    Cheap panels won't become a joyfully toy ;)

Harry

moflopes and funkylogik like this.
  4. damonsecloro

damonsecloro Lurker

Like harry explains, the sun and batteries = bad idea!

Solio uses built-in batteries, so i wouldn't put my money on that.

There are a lot of direct chargers out there like Suntactics and Goal Zero, i personally have a Suntactics sCharger-5 for my S3, works like a charm, takes about an hour to fully charge my phone.

Harry2 and moflopes like this.
  5. Harry2

Yeah, in US I'd buy a solar charger from SunTactics too :) ... living in Europe I purchased from swisssolarcharger.com :)

Harry

6. DaggaDraad

DaggaDraad Newbie

Hi

Does the solar charger need an internal battery? Is it not able to convert to electricity in the charger and save it directly in the phone battery?

Thanks

7. Harry2

The above mentioned solar panels haven't a internal battery. They works as USB charger (5V output voltage) and they are able to charge a phone or tablet directly and properly.

Harry