• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solar Power Charger!

archaleus

Lurker
May 26, 2010
I was tipped off to this solar powered battery charger and I have to say, it is a fantastic deal for the price. Not only does it charge via the solar cells, but it has a built in battery to store this power to use when not in direct sunlight. All of this for a price that is under half what I have seen for lots of other portable battery pack without the solar capabilities. It is compatible with everything through the usb plug. If you are looking for a great universal charger at a price you can't beat, check it out here.
0.4W 2600mAh Digital Mobile Solar Power Charger for iPod - DinoDirect.com

I own a solar powered battery charger (Energy-Trends) and it works fine (with enough sunshine over a long time ;) ).

But with enough sunshine the charger (and the battery !) gets very hot.
As I know, charging circuits interrupt the charging process when the temperature of the Li-Ion battery goes above +45C (+113F). So I think, the charging process isn't very effective.

And I think, its better to have mobile charger and solar panel as two separate devices.
I've seen very nice backpacks with solar panels back on it.
Maybe my next project :)

EDIT: Today I ordered a solar panel (18x13x0.3cm) for attaching on a backpack.

Harry

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0
I own a solar powered battery charger (Energy-Trends) and it works fine (with enough sunshine over a long time ;) ).

But with enough sunshine the charger (and the battery !) gets very hot.
As I know, charging circuits interrupt the charging process when the temperature of the Li-Ion battery goes above 60 C. So I think, the charging process isn't very effective.

And I think, its better to have mobile charger and solar panel as two separate devices.
I've seen very nice backpacks with solar panels back on it.
Maybe my next project :)

EDIT: Today I ordered a solar panel (18x13x0.3cm) for attaching on a backpack.

Harry

This morning was sunshine and I could test my new solar panel.

I connected my HTC Desire directly to the solar panel and ... there was no charging :(

OK, I had no dessert sun and so I measured the charging current.
125mA wasn't enough current to put the Desire in charging mode.

But 125mA was enough current to charge my mobile charger (JustMobile Gum Pro).
OK, I will need several days to charge fully the JustMobiles 4400mAh battery ;)

>> At daytime solar panel charges JustMobile, at night time JustMobile charges Desire <<

Concluding remark:
With relative small solar paneles that low output current is a general problem.
As in my post above mentioned, I own a solar charger (solar panel with built-in battery) ET3000.
The ET3000 also needs 1-2 days sunshine to charge fully its 3000mAh battery, depends on sunshine.

Harry

Upvote 0
hello Harry,
where did you get your new solar panel? I am considering buy one.
maybe i will buy the Solar Power Charger @dinodirect.

Energy Trends
http://www.energy-trends.eu/
Sorry, their site is only in German.

But you can compare the specs :)
Note the the electrical power output of the solar panels.
Rough calculation:
That e.g. 0.4W power you have to divide with 5V output voltage ...
that is about 0.08A = 80mA charging current for the battery.

Harry

Upvote 0
Energy Trends
ET - Energy Trends - Solar Energie Produkte
Sorry, their site is only in German.

But you can compare the specs :)
Note the the electrical power output of the solar panels.
Rough calculation:
That e.g. 0.4W power you have to divide with 5V output voltage ...
that is about 0.08A = 80mA charging current for the battery.

Harry

Thank you Harry. But in German,that is a problem.
thank you anyway. :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did anyone ever buy/try the solar charger mentioned by archaleus?

I have a solar charger that I picked up at Walmart on a whim (it was on their clearance shelf). It works great, but doesn't hold as much of a charge as I'd like. So, I bought one off eBay that looks exactly like the one pictured in archaleus' post (only mine is black). Unfortunately it doesn't work. It won't charge my Droid 3. However, I can plug my digital camera into it, a Droid Incredible, and a couple other USB-chargeable devices and they will all charge just fine.

I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue between that particular solar charger and my phone, or if there's something wrong with one or the other. I've actually come up with a work-around of sorts. I plug my Droid into my smaller charger, then plug my smaller charger into my larger charger. That keeps my smaller charger charged while my Droid is recharging from it. Goofy, but works really well! I just don't want to have to be carrying around two solar chargers and two cords all the time.

So, any thoughts as to why my smaller charger works fine, but my larger charger will charge other devices, but not my Droid? The larger charger says that it has an output of "Dc 5.5V 800m A" and has a battery of "2600ma/h."

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Anything less than 5 watts is a joke when it comes to actually charging your gadget. Something that cheap and weak will just frustrate the user hoping to charge with the sun. I use a 10w model and it brings my EVO from 50% to 100% in under 2 hours.

You might want to be a little more honest in your responses and let our members know you are the developer of that particular product.

Upvote 0
I apologize for not being more clear. I started my small business because I was getting very frustrated that I couldn't find a solar charger with adequate power at an adequate price. Most chargers are too weak or too expensive. I've come to these forums not to just promote my product but to hopefully find someone interested in helping me develop and improve it. At the moment I am the sole employee.

Also thanks for not deleting my post :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones