1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

[SOLUTION]Cannot add Google account after factory reset

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by kgray1985, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jimrin

jimrin Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks! I have an old Sony Xperia x10 mini running on CyanogenMod 7.2. I thought I would see what I could do with the phone even with the limited 256MB memory for applications... Especially since Google Play Services was often taking over 100MB, I would run into problems now and then. Not sure how related it was, but even though I had connection to the Internet, I couldn't get Google Play to work. Usually, after clearing cache or data, I was able to get it to work, but then it happened again and I wasn't able to get it to work. Without being able to remove all Google accounts without resetting the phone to factory defaults, I was hoping to find another solution... and this one worked like a charm! If you have root access, then you'll be able to modify the hosts file. I already had Root Browser, so I just used its text editor to modify the hosts file and it worked like a charm! Thanks!

Advertisement

2. WolfySylveon

WolfySylveon New Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Male
    I've been having a problem with editing host, it doesn't allow me to save the edit at all. It only says that it's unable to save.

Attached Files:

3. Zue

Zue New Member

May 6, 2016
    I am having the same problem with my lenovo a3300. I cant seemed to save the edited host file. Do let me know if you've managed to resolved. Tq.

4. Oluwasola adebayo

Oluwasola adebayo New Member

May 23, 2016
    Male
    It works for me, but after login my play store won't connect showing connection error (RH-01)

5. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Maybe try undoing the previous changes to the hosts file? (I assume they are no longer needed once you've successfully logged into your Google account but I'm not positive)

6. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    btw an alternative to solution to the one posted by op:

if you happen to have another phone with the same Google account that has wifi access (doesn't need carrier service) and has nfc (like my old S4), then you can use that to transfer your Google account into the phone after factory reset.

7. bowspot

bowspot New Member

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    Thanks a lot

8. Welcome to the forums! We're so glad to have you here! Have fun! Stay safe! But, I don't know what root is or how to get it on my tablet so can someone please help me with that if you can please? Thank you!

9. anirudh kakkar

anirudh kakkar New Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Male
    Thanks a lot bro it really worked , God bless you. :D:D:D

10. Fayface

Fayface New Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Female
    I followed all your directions and was unable to save edited host file with the total commander Did a search for a better host editor came up with the host editor apk downloaded it to my sd card edited the host file and success I now have Google play and my account on My factory reset Umi Iron Phone

#35 Fayface, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  11. Panos Nikolakakis

Panos Nikolakakis New Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Male
    man you are the best. You just saved my phone.

12. SunnyMoon

SunnyMoon New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Female
    Thank you very much for your post! I'm sure this will be the solution after searching and reading on internet without success.

However, I'm still one step away from the solution.

I downloaded Total Commander Android on my phone (since my Google Play is not working I used Internet to download). It says 'Installed', but I can't find anywhere on the phone this app (I did reboot the phone and went into application manager to look). I appreciate if anyone can help. Thanks in advance!

13. SunnyMoon

SunnyMoon New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Female
    Does anyone know where to find the file when connecting the phone to computer? The file path?

14. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Here is the app itself, its totally safe..enjoy it.

Attached Files:

SunnyMoon likes this.
  15. SunnyMoon

SunnyMoon New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Female
    Thank you! I have downloaded the file and was able to install it on my phone.

When I open the file 'hosts', it only contains the first line: 127.0.0.1 localhost. And I can't save the file, got "Error writng to file: /etc/hosts" message. Is there any setup I can do to be ale to edit the file? Thanks.

16. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    If I am not wrong, you have to be rooted...

17. sam249

sam249 New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Male
    Signed up in this forum just to say thanks to this post. Thank you very much