1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Solution: Google voice app will not verify phone

Discussion in 'Google' started by PRSPower, May 6, 2010.

  1. PRSPower

    PRSPower Member
    Thread Starter

    Apr 28, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Was having the exact problem described in this link trying to get my Google Voice account setup with the Google Voice App on my Incredible. Been trying, failing, and searching for days. Stumbled on this today and it fixed me right up.

    Android Google voice app will not verify phone (used to work on previous Android phone) - Google Voice Help

    The answer from from "mbligh" is:

    "I fixed this. I think it's Google's "interesting" login management, where though you have one email address, it can be multiple accounts on the backend

    If you're foo@bar.com and it asks you which account you want to use and that's one of the options, pick "other address" and type foo@bar.com again and your password. Now it works.

    Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but still."


  2. russell5

    russell5 Well-Known Member

    Nov 7, 2009
    it does make sense to me. Because if you have a GAFYD account then that points to the GAFYD servers. When you create a google account with that email address you are creating a new account not merging them. So anything will point to GAFYD account for gmail calendar talk stuff like that. But anything for google account points to a different.
  3. smurfOnE

    smurfOnE Well-Known Member

    May 3, 2011
    That's not really what the problem is that the OP has encountered. Indeed, you do need to get an account that GV servers can authenticate. If you don't, the GV app gives a meaningful reply, telling you to activate your gmail account for use on GV, or the like.

    However, the problem the OP describes is a software bug. Even after creating a proper GV account that can login to google.com/voice just fine, this account will be denied from the GV app when using the radio button for that account to login. The workaround to this bug is to select "login from different account", then manually enter the very same account that had a radio button to begin with.

    For me, even when using this workaround, I got more (different) errors. Constant "network error" messages despite a network that was working quite fine. The answer there was to persist, and keep trying. After 10 or so tries, it worked -- only to bring me to the next barrier.

Share This Page