• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SOLUTION] How to toggle 3G On/Off? (see post 12)

This widget works perfect to toggle on/off 3G on the Photon 4G. A simpler solution than the Widgetsoid but it could be great to make custom widgets.

If yer just using a single standalone toggle, widgetsoid is overkill, but I love it for big multi switch widgets. And, you can even put up to 3 toggles on a single 1x1 widget if you want (though I usually only use 2).

For customization possibilities and available options/settings you can include widgetsoid is king.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I feel the pain tho - simple is always relative.

Is there some way to just share the Widgetsoid custom widget? If so, that would be perfectly ok to post here (the widget file if it exists, not the app, that you get from the Market).

Anyone? If no else has time, I'll try to get to that later today. :)

Anyway - I don't know if it can be done.

I'd assume it'd have to be done from a rooted phone because Widgetsoid has to stay on the SD card in order to function properly. I found out the hard way that profiles that are saved don't transfer over because when i went to load up the profiles I had stored (from my EVO), they were gone when I downloaded the app onto my Photon.

Has the "Shoot Me" app been updated so that it'll work on non-rooted phones with Gingerbread again? I'd be happy to share screen shots of the widgets I made. Or if anybody knows of another screen capture app that I can use, I'd be happy to try that as well.

Upvote 0
OK - I don't have your phone.

But - if I did this correctly, this zip file contains the widget made by Bandage's instructions.

Part 1, the zip -

1. Place 3G_widget.zip into your /mnt/sdcard
  2. I recommend Astro File Manager - long press 3G_widget.zip
  3. Extract
  4. Extract To This Directory

Part 2, the install -

1. Download Widgetsoid2.x and install.
  2. Back button to get rid of message screen and get out of app.
  3. Long-press on Home Screen, and select "Widgets"
  4. Scroll down to Widgetsoid Switcher (1x1)
  5. Scroll right on bottom tool list to Profiles - tap Profiles
  6. tap 3G
  7. Load
  8. Are you sure you want to load this profile? YES
  9. Lower right button -> Apply
  10. Do you want to edit? NO

If I set this all up correctly (and I did test all of this as best I could without owning a Photon) - you just installed the widget without having to get too detailed on Widgetsoid's more confusing screens.

Once you have more Widgetsoid experience, you can play with themes (or somebuddy here can help).

If this really works please show the love to AF and link back here using the permalink post at the upper right of this post.

Kang (plagarize ;)) the whole thing outright if you like, I've done this for the benefit of the Photon community, but I think asking a link back is fair. :)

Hope this helps!

View attachment 20682

:)

Doh...that's what I get for not scrolling down enough...LOL. Okay, i'm going to try getting that done now and will share as soon as I have that ready.

-EDIT- Okay, I'll have to connect to my PC later this afternoon or night to make a zip of the 2 switchers I made (1 for wifi, bluetooth, GPS, and screen brightness & 1 for Pandora). They might not be ideal for some because they're transparent backgrounds, but they can be adjusted as needed (including colors of the on/off indicator, as well as the background transparency).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'd assume it'd have to be done from a rooted phone because Widgetsoid has to stay on the SD card in order to function properly. I found out the hard way that profiles that are saved don't transfer over because when i went to load up the profiles I had stored (from my EVO), they were gone when I downloaded the app onto my Photon.

Widgetsoid warns to never install onto SD card.

I made that with it installed on the phone. I think of it as just another app/sd-card relationship - just like the camera is on the phone, but it's data is on the sd card. Same thing.

When you uninstall Widgetsoid, it erases the profiles. If you don't have them restored first before installation, it doesn't recognize them.

Can't remove the fact that I'm rooted - but I did built and exercise a pretty good size test matrix (14 use cases for various ways to do this) before suggesting my procedure.

Try it. :)

Has the "Shoot Me" app been updated so that it'll work on non-rooted phones with Gingerbread again? I'd be happy to share screen shots of the widgets I made. Or if anybody knows of another screen capture app that I can use, I'd be happy to try that as well.

Not that I'm aware. You might try them, sometimes those screen capture apps - even though intended to work with only root - will work anyway with some phone models. (I remember a lot of confusion about this, especially with the Samsung owners last year.)

For what it's worth, I recommend making screen shots from Android SDK, especially on an unrooted phone. You just can't go wrong. TS and I have both posted instructions for that recently, look for his screen shot posts from last night for the link. It's pretty easy following the step-by-step instructions and once you have it, you're not at the mercy of a separate app for this - plus your shots end up on PC without an extra step, which in my case, is where I really want them anyway.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Not that I'm aware. You might try them, sometimes those screen capture apps - even though intended to work with only root - will work anyway with some phone models. (I remember a lot of confusion about this, especially with the Samsung owners last year.)

For what it's worth, I recommend making screen shots from Android SDK, especially on an unrooted phone. You just can't go wrong. TS and I have both posted instructions for that recently, look for his screen shot posts from last night for the link. It's pretty easy following the step-by-step instructions and once you have it, you're not at the mercy of a separate app for this - plus your shots end up on PC without an extra step, which in my case, is where I really want them anyway.

I totally remember seeing the post, but since I was in a rush, I completely forgot to bookmark the post you made. I'll take a look for it as soon as I get a chance.

Upvote 0
Here's one by one of our compadres I found, looks like good stuff -

If you can't get the screenshot apps to work, you take screenshots of your device if you have the Android SDK installed. Here's a guide: How to take screenshots of your Android based phone from Windows – Simple Help

Alternatively, you can do it with an app called MyPhoneExplorer (that might be the easier option).

That last app I'm not familiar with, so check it or give a shout to El Presidente to see what's up with that one. :)

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
drexappeal said:

Here's a ScreenShot app that works WITHOUT Root...

ScreenGrab

Credit to the creator of the App...mindphaze

Upvote 0
I'm new to photon (today) and new to this forum. I just traded my EVO 4G for the Photon and am still getting familiar with it. Here is my question: My EVO had a widget to turn off mobile (3G) networking. I would turn it on a couple times a day to get email, check weather, etc. It was a great battery saver. However, I have yet to find a way to do that with the Photon. Has anyone out there been able to turn off 3G networking. BTW, phone calls and texting were still available on the EVO with Mobile networking turned off. Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums!

I've moved your post over here where you can find the info you need on how to create a 3G on/off toggle for your Photon desktop.

Please review the thread, you'll find a few options to get you there.

(digital) Phone calls and SMS are 2G services and to the best of my knowledge you ought to be fine with 3G off, same as your Evo.

Upvote 0
THANKS! Worked like a charm. In between steps 8 and 9 one needs to click on the "advanced" tab in the lower menu in order to get to step 9. I have a Motorola Photon...
EarlyMon...I wrote up a wee tutorial to make things really simple for all

Ok so those of you who own the Photon have probably noticed Motorola buried the Data Toggle option deep in menus were not used to finding them in. None of the current Toggle / Widget apps support access to this menu with a single click.

EarlyMon (Android Forums) pointed out a free Toggle App, that with some exploration and trial I was able to come up with a work-around that allows a single press Data Toggle.

Here's a quick tutorial:

1. Download Widgetsoid2.x and install.

2. Long-press on Home Screen, and select "Widgets"

3. Scroll down to Widgetsoid Switcher 1x1

4. 1st option on the toolbar down on the bottom is "Network" select that.

5. Select "Mobile Data"

6. Next go to Theme...and customize the look you want for the toggle.

7. Select Apply on lower menu bar

8. A menu will pop up asking if you want to "Edit Global Preferences"...Yes

9. The first Tab from top is "Data Toggle Mode"

10. Select "Root Toggle"

11. Press your BACK key...and it will return you to your Home Screen.

Done... There's your Data Toggle!

Upvote 0
I will help everyone out on how to do this quick and easy.

• Download widgetsoid
  • Go to your home screen. Touch and hold until menu comes up.
  • Select Android widgets. Scroll down and select Widgetsoid Switcher (1*1).
  • On the bottom, make sure you are in the "Network" tab.
  • Select the one that says "Mobile Data".
  • On the bottom, select the tab that says "Apply".
  • It will ask you if you want to edit your global settings. Select yes.
  • Under data toggle mode (the very top drop-down list), change it so that it says "Root toggle".
  • Hit the back button until your home screen comes up, and your widget should now be on your home screen.
  • Push it to make sure it works, and you should be good to go.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
does the widget keep the mobile data off when the phone is switch off/on..I am gonna be traveling though Canada and don't want any international roaming data charges on my phone.....but am gonna pay for a month of international roaming and text so I can keep in touch with the wife... via 2G...

BTW hi my name is Dan first day and first post...

Dan

Upvote 0
I don't like the APN-renaming method for toggling 3G. I've had problems with it. I have been using a free app named Llama to toggle 3G (mobile data). Llama gives you the choice of toggling mobile data directly or using APN renaming.

To accomplish this, you create an "event" in Llama that simply turns mobile data on (or off), then go to a home screen and long press to create a shortcut, select Llama, then select that event. (You do not go to the Applications screen from the "Select shortcut" screen and then select Llama; instead, you select Llama directly from the "Select shortcut" screen.)

On my Photon, this works great, and quickly. Llama does many, many other things as well (especially if your phone is rooted).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones