• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solution to DHD battery problems. Contact HTC!

Mine is a first batch DHD (last one in the entire city :-D), and the battery is the same:

Model: BD26100
Rating: 3.7vdc, 1230mAh, 4.55 Whr

I've had mine for a week, same battery details. I too am disappointed with the battery. I've tried taking off syncing apps, reducing data usage and tried the HTC suggestion 8hours charge on, 1 hour charge phone off, 2 mins then 1 hour charge phone off. nothing. HTC said last night swap the battery, Vodafone said they don't have stock of these batteries.. buy one from HTC and then seek a refund... nice.

Upvote 0
htc have just replied to me saying they are going to replace my USB cable??

Full thread:
Me completing their website support form:

htc desire hd battery issue.

I've had my DHD for about a month now and no matter what I do:
* reduce screen brightness to only 12%.
* don't use live wallpapers.
* ensure phone doesn't sync accounts too often (weather, facebook, emails, etc.)
* don't us GPS ever.
* tried conditioning battery to improve performance (charge when on, unplug, turn off, charge, etc. you know the drill...).
* I have even started deleting apps to reduce power consumption.

but I still have trouble getting the battery to last a full day and this is without really used it that much. Therefore, for sure the phone will not last on days when I will need to use it a lot.

I guess I will need to purchase a second battery, but I'm disappointed since I really thought that after the press regarding the original desire's battery that history wouldn't repeat itself again with it's bigger brother.

I realise my previous phone (Nokia E71) was the best in it's class regarding battery life, but I guess I was hoping for a bit more life out of the DHD's.

If you are planning on releasing a large capacity battery please let me know, thanks in advance.

Emine:
(EU team) Close Pending Thank you for contacting HTC. You recently wrote us regarding your issue with your HTC Desire, I have passed your information and query to relevant department. Escalation team would make the decision to send a new USB Cable for you? Could you please provide us more information I can pass over to them? Address: Network Provider: Serial Number: IMEI number (under the battery area behind your phone or dialing *#06#),: ROM: ROM Date: Purchase Date: I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. 2010/12/03 10:17:47

Me:
Reply The following has been cut and pasted from the email I received from you: Escalation team would make the decision to send a new USB Cable for you? Ok, but I'm not quite sure how this will solve the issue?? Since the unit charging and displaying 100% (I charge the unit over night, every night). Could you please provide us more information I can pass over to them? Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx UK Network Provider: Orange Serial Number: HT0A6RXxxxxx IMEI number (under the battery area behind your phone or dialing *#06#),:3526xxxxxxxxxx ROM: 2.6.32.21-gf3f553d ROM Date: Thu Oct 28 13:24:11 CST 2010 Purchase Date: 5th November 2010 2010/12/03 11:41:02

I guess I'll have to wait and see if it makes a difference.....

Upvote 0
Got a reply from ASA regarding the advertised specs on the HTC website, however:

"On 1 September 2010 the Committee of Advertising Practice announced that the ASA’s remit will be extended to cover the content of marketing communications online. However, that extended remit will not come into force until 1 March 2011"

Could someone upload/send me a picture of the specs on the side of the box for me to send? I keep meaning to do this myself, but forget by the time I go home.

Upvote 0
The battery life sucks!
The battery is draining to quick now. I've tries lowering brightness, turn GPS off, closed all apps and mail is the only thing that runs in the background. HTC needs to provide us with a better battery. Replace these batteries!

Nothing wrong with my battery, Your phone has gotta be faulty with all the problems you're having with it.

Upvote 0
The battery life sucks!
The battery is draining to quick now. I've tries lowering brightness, turn GPS off, closed all apps and mail is the only thing that runs in the background. HTC needs to provide us with a better battery. Replace these batteries!

I've managed to get my battery life to last a day and a half now and I was having similar issues to you. There are 2 things I did, which seems to have dramatically improved it.

Firstly, I have my Mobile Network option to GSM Only. Works perfectly fine when downloading emails from Exchange (I have 3 Exchange mailboxes sync'd on my phone). I simply switch on 3G when I need to use it (if I want to use maps or browse heavily) and it usually switches straight away.

The second thing I did was remove all widgets from my home screens, even the default clock/weather one.

I've made other tweaks, that have been mentioned elsewhere, but these 2 made to biggest impact for me. Manually switching between GSM and 3G really isn't that much of an effort.

Reactions: JiminyCricket
Upvote 0
The battery life sucks!

As a lot of people have said before is how the USER USES the phone, new smart-phones with 1GHz processors wont last 4-5 days like older slower phones.

I get 2-3 days out of my DHD because i don't have the mobile data connection turned on all the time. I turn it on when i need to use the internet or check email, then turn it off after, mobile data is the real killer IMHO

Reactions: JiminyCricket
Upvote 0
*face palms*

You can point fingers at the battery, you can pull faces at it, but end of the day it all comes down to how YOU use the phone.

Yes, but you should be able to USE (not leave on standby all day w/screen off) your phone, is I think what people are trying to say.

Sidebar:
Why are you often so snide?

Seriously. Why? I really want to know what possesses you to talk to people like you do.

I mean it is not as if you have that many posts or hav been here that long, that you need to be a tired, old, cynical codger, so what gives?

Many of your posts are so abrasive and annoying to read that I feel like I need to go have a coffee or something stronger and chill out on your behalf.

If people on a forum are going to make you sound that damned cranky, maybe you need to avoid posting, or at least avoid any battery-related threads, or just avoid the forum altogether.

That snarky (and not in a clever way) attitude makes you read as though you are both bitter and smug and that's a yucky combo to witness.

I have always been one to give others a 2nd chance. So I took you off ignore last time I was here, but wow. You are just too rude.

Reactions: alane and njanfeza
Upvote 0
Stuff like WiFi, GPS, Live wallpapers should turn off when you turn the screen off, they're the main reasons why battery sucks and the capacity of the battery is lower than other smartphones.

All HTC need to do is swap the batteries for a 1400mh(?)+

Phones been off charge for 11 hours and the battery is on 16%, the display had used up 58% of the battery today!

Upvote 0
I've managed to get my battery life to last a day and a half now and I was having similar issues to you. There are 2 things I did, which seems to have dramatically improved it.

Firstly, I have my Mobile Network option to GSM Only. Works perfectly fine when downloading emails from Exchange (I have 3 Exchange mailboxes sync'd on my phone). I simply switch on 3G when I need to use it (if I want to use maps or browse heavily) and it usually switches straight away.

The second thing I did was remove all widgets from my home screens, even the default clock/weather one.

I've made other tweaks, that have been mentioned elsewhere, but these 2 made to biggest impact for me. Manually switching between GSM and 3G really isn't that much of an effort.

Agree with this, it works for all phones. Even my old Sony Ericsson tripples in battery if I turn of 3G.

Also good to switch of the data when you don't use it, i.e. when you are sleeping. There is not need to sync when you don't need it.

Upvote 0
Agree with this, it works for all phones. Even my old Sony Ericsson tripples in battery if I turn of 3G.

Also good to switch of the data when you don't use it, i.e. when you are sleeping. There is not need to sync when you don't need it.

We shouldn't really have to turn off 3G though, should we. The whole point of a Smartphone is to be able to get the job done quickly.

And the overnight thing is never an issue with me as I have it plugged in at the mains anyway.

Upvote 0
Stuff like WiFi, GPS, Live wallpapers should turn off when you turn the screen off, they're the main reasons why battery sucks and the capacity of the battery is lower than other smartphones.

All HTC need to do is swap the batteries for a 1400mh(?)+

Phones been off charge for 11 hours and the battery is on 16%, the display had used up 58% of the battery today!
Sorry for going off subject here, but how did you check that 58% was used from display?
i know you can do it, but i dont know how :mad:
can anyone tell me where this option is please.

Upvote 0
Sorry for going off subject here, but how did you check that 58% was used from display?
i know you can do it, but i dont know how :mad:
can anyone tell me where this option is please.

System/About/Battery/Battery Use.

Or you could do as I have and add a shortcut on to a home screen - push the home screen, click shortcuts, scroll down to settings, then click battery. Then, when clicked on the homescreen will go straight to the usage screen.

Reactions: MrLarner
Upvote 0
We shouldn't really have to turn off 3G though, should we. The whole point of a Smartphone is to be able to get the job done quickly.

And the overnight thing is never an issue with me as I have it plugged in at the mains anyway.

I get what you are saying, but if it adds 50% more battery life to the phone (as mine does) then it is worth it. Incidentally, the main reason I have it set to GSM only is because I believe part of my issue is that in my area the 3g signal is weak and setting it on automatic means the phone is constantly switching between the two. There is nothing to stop you from trying it on 3g only, if you are in a decent 3g area.

As for convenience, if you add the 2g/3g widget to a home screen, you can switch between the 2 instantly. I have it on GSM only during normal usage (it has no problem downloading mails from any of my three Exchange accounts), then if I fancy browsing I switch on 3g, which takes less than 5 seconds to connect.

I don't really see the issue.

Upvote 0
Hey folks...I've been reading all your posts, in the hope that it will answer my ever impending question: I love the HTC DHD at first look, but should I buy it, given it's perceived issues with battery life?? As yet, this remains unanswered. But I'm glad to know that it's still considered a great phone, for the most part!
Here's what I heard from my local retailer, by the way - HTC is planning on launching a new 'Pro' battery for the DHD in a month or so from now. It's supposedly gonna give the phone that extra juice!
Cheers,
SJ

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones