• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Solution to short battery life. (For me at least)

Whatever man, lets make this clear then. I said what i used my phone for, so rather u use your phones as much as i do OR more then i do, id still expect or hope you to see an improvement with my SetCPU settings. I dont care what you do or how many games you play, my thread title still says "for me", so **** the assumptions n all that stuff. I just found something i thought would help others, so just try my tip and see if it works, if it doesnt then that sux, but if it helps then cool. I never put anyones method down or said urs sux and mines better, i just said thats cool your geyting this much on extended and im getting this on stock. If i put him down, let him defend hisself, but he didnt so why are you complaining and not him? I dont wanna hear anymore bitching. Clear enough??? Title says "for me, for me for me", meaning me and my usage.

ya take a debate class. you dont know how to communicate a point and your not getting my point. your logic is flaud and your reasoning is pathetic and bias. and you continue to deny it which makes it worse.

Upvote 0
Ok guys that's enough anybody else have any ideas for better battery life

uncheck mobile network location
stop auto sync use jd to enable sync with a smaller frequency
use jd to dim brightness
underclock to around 750 per core its more than enough for anything
use jd to automatically toggle 4g
stop apps from updating in background if u dont need it.
try to avoid streaming video haha

Upvote 0
so if i need to take a debate class and my points not bias, then why are you still bitching about it? Try the method and shut up, or dont try and go on another thread that will be useful to you, or better yet, just start your own with your tips and try and help others too. It's that simple. Your the only person whining about it.

As far as everyone else, if you want to try something to help battery, your more then welcome to try my method and see if it helps you out too. That's the whole reason for this post, not to say mines better than yours(regardless if thats how I came off in my replies) or blah blah blah. What I'm doing helped me out ALOT, so hopefully it works for you too. Thanks

Upvote 0
I took a chance and tried the LG Optimizer, and it's a cool program with the setting of the cores and such, BUT the only problem with that was when you set it, it would change to another setting which is pointless! It's not even full controls if it sets to something else by itself.

Juice defender I always thought was just Ehhhhhhh. So i just reinstalled my old friend SetCPU, and I'm hyped on how much longer my battery lasted. I fully charged the phone last night at 12:30am and took it off the charger and didnt use it the rest of the night. Woke up at 7am with 90%(Normally It would be at 80% with no usage overnight). I continued to use my phone throughout the day with the 4g off when not online, screen pretty dim, and all the settings off. It's now 10:37pm and I'm still on 6%!!! That's almost 23 hours on one charge! Found my solution for the battery.

I'm running my SetCPU with 3 profiles. 1st pro is my Screen Off, running it at min and max 192mhz since the screens off to save battery. 2nd pro is my Screen On, running it at max 1188mhz (stock rooted Rom n kernel), min setting at 384mhz. 3rd pro is for 984mhz on Charging. All my governors are on demand and it's working wonders.

I deff recommend you try this setting and let me know if it works with you too. I've always been a fan of SetCPU, and it's living up to its name with me still. Good luck and let me know how it is.

If you chose auto for cpu cores, this is how it works:
your phone decides when and what to do with cpu on/off and ocassional speed changes.

if manually setting core to 1 or 2 on will stop this from happening. I recommend setting both cores on, then capping the max cpu speed at 800Mhz, and the min to 192Mhz.

I'm gonna end up making that a bit clearer in future versions. Also the reason that when you come back in and the cpu speeds are different is because i read the min/max from the system when the screen opens, so if it was automatic, the system changed those values and you went back in, that's why. Manual modes stick, that's what makes this app different. All other programs to set cpu speeds will act just like that auto mode, that's what makes this one different.

If you want to use SetCPU profiles set it to manual an turn 2 cores on. Or your phone will waste battery trying to enforce the profiles because your phone keeps fighting with it. Also be aware that it only changes the speed of the 1st core, not the second. So the second is still running 300Mhz-1.2Ghz. My app is smarter than that and sets both together.

Upvote 0
I actually did try the settings that you recommended, and tho my phone still ran smooth as hell on 800mhz, my battery was still the same short life. I did my setCPU settings tho, and My 2nd charge ran for 26 hours ending today.

As far as when I go in, I didnt mean my speeds were different, those stay the same... It's my options for the cores and governors that would automatically change back to something diff. I just didnt feel like I had full control over my phone speed if I cant even run the amount of cores I want.

And I dont know what you mean with the SetCPU settings to manual... I dont know what version you have, but I have the newest 3.0.0, and I dont have an option for your cores, and I've been using this program over 2 years and I've never seen that option and I'm on the Pro version. I just set my normal screen off screen off profiles, and charging profile, and Im getting almost triple my battery life that I was at first. I'm satisfied.

If you do come up with an updated version with full controls over my cores and other options, I would be more than up to try it out again. I like where it was going and how it had all those options.

Upvote 0
If you chose auto for cpu cores, this is how it works:
your phone decides when and what to do with cpu on/off and ocassional speed changes.

if manually setting core to 1 or 2 on will stop this from happening. I recommend setting both cores on, then capping the max cpu speed at 800Mhz, and the min to 192Mhz.

I'm gonna end up making that a bit clearer in future versions. Also the reason that when you come back in and the cpu speeds are different is because i read the min/max from the system when the screen opens, so if it was automatic, the system changed those values and you went back in, that's why. Manual modes stick, that's what makes this app different. All other programs to set cpu speeds will act just like that auto mode, that's what makes this one different.

If you want to use SetCPU profiles set it to manual an turn 2 cores on. Or your phone will waste battery trying to enforce the profiles because your phone keeps fighting with it. Also be aware that it only changes the speed of the 1st core, not the second. So the second is still running 300Mhz-1.2Ghz. My app is smarter than that and sets both together.
When you mean set it to manual and have both cores on so we can use profiles, do you mean set Optimizer to manual, set both cores on, and then just use SetCPU as normal and it will use both cores? Because that's what I'm hoping to do lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones