• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solutions to Hotmail sync on Android!

uzee

May 14, 2010
Scotland
The article below is a little old but i found it very useful. On my SE X10, with the Moxier Mail app, which comes with the phone, i have been able to sync my hotmail, including all the folders, and not just the inbox - like the default android mail app does.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Windows Live is not the first thing you would think of when combined with an Android device. However, there are certainly options for Hotmail users on Android phones. Although no dedicated app exists there are apps and workarounds for dedicated Windows Live Mail users.

Windows Live Support on Android

The Android mobile platform is built by Google, and as such primarily intended to be used in combination with their accounts. As a matter of fact, an Android powered device will not even work without one. Although the newly released Windows Phone 7 seems the most logical option for anyone using Windows Live Mail (previously known as ‘Hotmail’), there are options on Android as well.

Setting Up Hotmail as an Exchange Account

For everyone with a more recent Android phone running version 2.2 or higher, Windows Live Mail is ‘officially’ supported. Although no dedicated, Microsoft-made, email application exists on Android, unlike Gmail or Yahoo Mail, Android users can still synchronize with their Windows Live Accounts. This is done through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. The settings for setting up your Hotmail account are as follows:

Email: FULL email address, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Server/URL: m.hotmail.com
Username: FULL email address, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Password: Your Password
Domain: Leave Blank
SSL: Enabled
Certificate: Accept SSL Certificate when asked for
These settings will allow Hotmail, or Windows Live, accounts to fully sync with any application on Android that supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. This means that not only emails, but also contacts, calendar and tasks will be synced. Examples of applications on Android that support Exchange ActiveSync are Roadsync 2.5, Moxier Mail, Nexeo, K9, Touchdown and of course the native Mail application in Android 2.2 and upward.

Dedicated Third Party Applications

Native Hotmail support is not very widespread on Android. There aren’t many applications that can automagically configure your Hotmail settings, but the ones that can help Windows Live Mail users out in some way are the following:

MailDroid
MailDroid is a decent email application on Android that supports Hotmail, or Windows Live Mail if you will, ‘natively’. When initially setting up your email account the application asks for your login details after which it finds the servers by itself. That is all there is to setting up your Hotmail account in this application.
Messages are downloaded fast and your inbox is nicely indexed in Maildroid, where messages are filtered by day. It is also possible to access other folders although folders like ‘sent items’ only contain messages that are sent from the phone. Although this is a minor drawback, the extensive options make up for it. All in all, MailDroid is a decent Android Hotmail app for anybody that wants some native Hotmail support on his or her Android device. The application is free, but ad-supported, in the Android Market.

Google Android: Not for Dedicated Windows Live Users

Although exchange support is now available on Android, Hotmail or Windows Live users that are true to their Microsoft accounts will not be satisfied on Android. Dedicated support is also unlikely, as Microsoft has recently released Windows Phone 7 (although the company has embraced its competition before). It is safe to say that your device of choice in terms of true and total Windows Live support should therefore not be an Android one.

Email: FULL email address, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Server/URL: m.hotmail.com
Username: FULL email address, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Password: Your Password
Domain: Leave Blank
SSL: Enabled
Certificate: Accept SSL Certificate when asked for
Google Android: Not for Dedicated Windows Live Users

I am setting up my Hotmail account using these exact settings, but I don't even have the option for "Certificate: Accept SSL Certificate when asked for." Under Username, Password, and Domain i have a box to check for SSL, but I'm never asked about certificates. I just get an error that says "Failed to set up account. Try again later."

I have an HTC EVO 4g.

Ideas?

Upvote 0
Whether or not you use Hotmail for email, if you use Outlook on your PCs, then I think that adding a free Hotmail account to Outlook and to your Android device is the best way to synchronize contacts and calendar between Outlook PCs and Android devices. I detailed the procedure for doing so at this link.

I primarily use Gmail for email, but I use Hotmail so that I can automatically synchronize my Outlook contacts and calendar with my Android phone, for free without any third party software or apps.

Upvote 0
To Kferrin anybody else with a Hotmail account

Are you using Androids default mail app? Because as it says in the article above, users with Android 2.3 and 2.2 (i think) do get better Hotmail support on their mobiles.

My sister just got her HTC Sensation yesterday, and i setup her hotmail using the default 'Mail' app. When you begin the setup the first thing you choose is the type of account, which includes Microsoft Exchange Active Sync, Gmail, and Hotmail. Note that in 2.1 or lower, you wont be presented with a choice of accounts.

I did not choose hotmail, i choose Microsoft Exchange Active, and did not have to apply any advanced settings. And it works perfectly, she can now view all her custom mail folders etc.

Upvote 0
Uzee,

Thanks for the help, I just got my first Android phone and I was getting annoyed that when I deleted my hotmail emails on my phone they still remained when I logged into my account. With your help I was able to solve this problem and I just wanted to say thanks.

no problem, appreciate your reply.

has ny1 managed to setup their hotmail calender with the default calender app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones