• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solutions to USB, Fingerprint problems with S9+

Palm2droid

Jul 16, 2012
I've had my phone for just over 2 years and its starting to fritz..

The fingerprint scanner's coating started to peel. I had to delete and re-scan my print to get it functional again, but in the end what I did is gently rub it with a cotton cloth [ handkerchief ] and removed the remaining coating. It now works reliably again. What a royal PIA this was until fixed.

I had a few random USB charging port "moisture detected" issues. I followed each of the suggestions below that I found around the intertubes, and I believe that the first time it corrected by accident, while the second time I found an actual solution. I believe this is being cause by looseness/damage to the male charge pin in the charging port causing a short that triggers the moisture sensor alert.

TRIED but did not work:
Blasting with air
Putting in AC vent
Different charging cables
Multiple restarts
Apps / Show System Apps / USB Settings / Storage / Clear cache
Apps / Show System Apps / Android system / Force stop
Removing 'recently installed or updated' Apps

Note: Would not charge even with phone powered off.
Had to get a wireless charger as phone went completely dead

WORKED:
Inserted probe under bottom edge of male connector w/in charging access port on phone and gently pried up ever so very slightly. Accepted charge immediately after doing this.

A better design for the charger port would be to have no free play up/down but instead a snug fit of the cable into the port.

I hope this helps others.

Reactions: Deleted User
I've had my phone for just over 2 years and its starting to fritz..

The fingerprint scanner's coating started to peel. I had to delete and re-scan my print to get it functional again, but in the end what I did is gently rub it with a cotton cloth [ handkerchief ] and removed the remaining coating. It now works reliably again. What a royal PIA this was until fixed.

I had a few random USB charging port "moisture detected" issues. I followed each of the suggestions below that I found around the intertubes, and I believe that the first time it corrected by accident, while the second time I found an actual solution. I believe this is being cause by looseness/damage to the male charge pin in the charging port causing a short that triggers the moisture sensor alert.

TRIED but did not work:
Blasting with air
Putting in AC vent
Different charging cables
Multiple restarts
Apps / Show System Apps / USB Settings / Storage / Clear cache
Apps / Show System Apps / Android system / Force stop
Removing 'recently installed or updated' Apps

Note: Would not charge even with phone powered off.
Had to get a wireless charger as phone went completely dead

WORKED:
Inserted probe under bottom edge of male connector w/in charging access port on phone and gently pried up ever so very slightly. Accepted charge immediately after doing this.

A better design for the charger port would be to have no free play up/down but instead a snug fit of the cable into the port.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks.

Re the Male connector within the port, duh... where is that?

I have a 2018 Nokia 7 Plus just 13 months out of the box and I have recent problems with the port. I found its a known manufacturing issue with the Type C port on my model and 2 or 3 others, via Nokia forums and YT. I can send it away afaik but can't lose it for 7 - 10 days+ and heard of possible fixes.

Fitting an AC vent was tongue in cheek, right? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones