• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*SOLVED* 4G Stopped Working After Kitkat Update!

BLACKTOOTHGRIN

Android Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2011
South of Heavan
I finally decided to allow the Kitkat 4.4.2 update (Verizon) through on my S4 last Friday.
I'm not happy about quite a few things the update changed,
but the one I'm REALLY PISSED about is:
For some reason I've lost all 4G connectivity!:mad:
The best I'm getting now is 3G.

I did a factory reset after the install just to start fresh and avoid app conflicts and whatnot, but still no 4G. I took out the SIM card for a while, did another factory reset...No Dice. I read some posts saying that if the SIM somehow gets corrupted you will lose your 4G until it's replaced. That said, I'm having one shipped and it will be here on Wednesday. I don't see how updating to 4.4.2 would trash the SIM, but we'll see. Other than that, the tech at Verizon only gave me 2 options.
1. Get the phone replaced with a refurb for free.
I told him I'd like to avoid that if possible because I have a nice Glass Screen Protector on my S4 and I'll lose the money on that because I'll have to buy a new one.
2. Take it into a Verizon store or Best Buy and have them flash the OS again and see if that solves anything. (Good Lord :rolleyes:)
So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping a new SIM solves the problem.
Any other ideas in the meantime, or if the new SIM doesn't take care of the problem??

The new SIM Card brought back the 4G Connectivity.
What a relief....
I was getting very angry at the thought of having to get a refurb, losing my Glass Screen Protector, and having to set everything up all over AGAIN!

I can't believe the update screwed up that card, but apparently that's what did it.

It's so ridiculous how just updating your phone can cause you a weeks worth of headaches straight out of the gate. Now let's see what else the 'wonderful' Kitkat has in store....:rolleyes:

Reactions: Podivin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones