• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (Solved [at the moment]) S3 Apps Crash, Phone Freezes Everyday, Factory Reset already.

purez

Lurker
Aug 8, 2013
THIS MIGHT BE SOLVED. PHONE HAS NOT CRASHED IN 24 HOURS. WILL CHANGE THIS IF PROBLEMS ARISE AGAIN. THANK YOU!

Hi, I have just signed up to these forums, and have found these very useful so far. Now for my query:

Ever since I got my Galaxy S3 about 3 months ago, every app crashes, error messages being, "Unfortunately ____ has stopped" and the phone randomly freezes, the blue-ish light comes on and stays on, and I have to take the battery out and restart. The phone does not restart itself every day, just every few days and it is annoying. All of my apps crash frequently. I'd say on average, using my phone in 1 day, apps would crash while i'm using it about 3 times. Often it would crash, I would restart the app, it would then crash AGAIN...

I really don't want to have to send it back to Samsung to then be phoneless, so, are there any other options? Note: I already factory reset my phone about a month ago - it made no difference.

Here are my software specs:
Model Number: GT-I9300
Android Version: 4.1.2
Baseband Version: I9300XXEMC2

Sorry if this is a repeated thread, I could not find a similar one searching. Thank-you all!

I am a newbie here that came from IOS, so I am no expert. If it was me, the first thing I would do was go into the "applications manager" and delete every app that you downloaded, make sure they are all gone. Then I would do a battery pull restart. I would then use my phone for a while and see how it goes, if all seems good I would would go into the play store to "all my apps" and look to see if you had any weird apps or ones that might be funky, and don't mess with them. Then I would slowly re-install a app or two at a time and see how they work and if you install something and the phone reverts back it was a bad app. If this didn't work for me I guess I would figure I had a bad phone and do whatever you do under warranty to get it looked at. It just sounds like you installed a bad app though and it crashing your phone. After you delete all the apps you could also install AVAST app, I heard it is a great app, it will check your phone and new apps for viruses/problems ect... Well, hope thhis helps some.

Upvote 0
You could be on the way to Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS) and getting the phone bricked.

Could you check what chip version do you have? The problematic model is:
eMMC: VTU00M
FW Rev: 0xF1

To check that, you can download free app that will tell you whether your device has the insane chip or not. -->eMMC Brickbug Check--<

You could also try to using Dummy File Generator<---
When I was facing freezes, crashes and the like, it made massive improvement to performance. Perhaps it will work or you too. Give it a try.

All you do is install the app, open it up, press the GENERATE FULL, and let it fill the phone up. When it's done, press that button few more times. To fill in tiny, left over empty space. Delete the dummy file, and repeat the process few more times.

You may also refer to the following post, for detail explanation how writing a dummy file, corrects the eMMC's sectors, as I would't want to turn it into an essay :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=37976063&postcount=180

Let us know what is the outcome and whether the Dummy File Generator helped. If not, we will go from there.

cheers

Upvote 0
You could be on the way to Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS) and getting the phone bricked.

Could you check what chip version do you have? The problematic model is:
eMMC: VTU00M
FW Rev: 0xF1

To check that, you can download free app that will tell you whether your device has the insane chip or not. -->eMMC Brickbug Check--<

You could also try to using Dummy File Generator<---
When I was facing freezes, crashes and the like, it made massive improvement to performance. Perhaps it will work or you too. Give it a try.

All you do is install the app, open it up, press the GENERATE FULL, and let it fill the phone up. When it's done, press that button few more times. To fill in tiny, left over empty space. Delete the dummy file, and repeat the process few more times.

You may also refer to the following post, for detail explanation how writing a dummy file, corrects the eMMC's sectors, as I would't want to turn it into an essay :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=37976063&postcount=180

Let us know what is the outcome and whether the Dummy File Generator helped. If not, we will go from there.

cheers

Thanks everyone! What I actually have done so far is uninstall all apps that are not necessary, (i still kept the popular ones that i need such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Shazam etc.) and now I have been around the forums, I now use Apex Launcher as my homepage instead of TouchWiz and so far, in 24 hours it has not frozen at all! However, this may not be the end. Will keep everything updated.

eMMC chip:
"Type: VTU00M"
"FwRev: 0xf7"
"SGS3 Sudden Death? = NO. Sane chip."

Thank you for your help, especially SebaKL. I will try the Dummy File Generator if problems arise again and update this if need be. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones