1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

(solved)Can't access Lock screen/ Or load a Rom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Logan47, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast

I recently installed CheckROM+Siyah kernal and then ICS theme through kitchen app, no problem. A short time ago I decided to try another theme and after installation and rebooting I cannot see nor access the bottom row of numbers on my lockscreen, including the "OK" key. I have a backup in CWM from a few days ago which I could restore or could I just run Checkrom install over the top again?
    Any other help before I roll back if that's what it takes?
    Thanks.:rolleyes:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Logan47

Decided to restore. My backup is stock with CF root. Tried to install three different roms, CM7, Villain and ChechROM and they now all stick on the boot screen and go no further having left them for about 12 mins each time.
    Is there some old data I need to clear out before I can install a rom once more?:thinking:

3. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Well before installing a completely new rom, you need to do a full-wipe. You can't just overwrite Checkrom with CM7 or Villain, it'll mess you up!

When changing themes on checkrom, you need to use the theme restore package (located in the Kitchen) and you also need to wipe cache partition, dalvik cache, and battery stats. I suggest downloading the theme restore package and 'installing' it using CWM. The wiping is done in CWM too. Then you can install a new theme. The reason you have to do all that is so that the new theme doesn't conflict with files in the old theme (which is causing the bootloops).

Logan47 likes this.
  4. Logan47

Thanks, I'll give those options a go. I can get my restore back up no problem so that's always there at least. I want to put CheckROM back on so I'll prepare as you suggested and reinstall that. I know first boot takes longer than usual, so how long roughly does it take for CheckROM to appear?

5. Kie

Kie Android Expert

I'd wait a good 5 or so minutes for it to come up first time. But it never bootloops when it's working. So if you see a bootloop even once, there's no point waiting.

6. Logan47

Well, not sure what problem is. I went back to the CheckROM thread at XDA and followed these instructions, waited 10 mins and still remained on boot screen and did not move.

Q: I'm coming from a different ROM how can i install this ROM ?
    A: Follow the steps below
    Get into the CWM recovery
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Install the wipe version of this ROM

In regard to the last line above, I do not see any other version of this Rom to download and am not sure which one I have in regard to wipe or non-wipe version or does it not matter as the steps themselves determine it?

7. Kie

Kie Android Expert

There's only one (universal) version of CRRV4, so the one you have is fine. Don't worry about the 'wipe' version. That applies to certain other roms.

Logan47 likes this.
  8. Logan47

Not sure how to continue then as I can't seem to install the rom as phone hangs on boot screen after installation. This all went fine first time but since I restored it will not work.
    When I restore in cwm does the phone go back to the kernel I had at that time (cf roof) or keep the one I last installed (siyah) ?

9. Kie

Kie Android Expert

CWM Recovery's restore keeps the Siyah kernel for you. But if you do a full wipe and install CheckRom Revolution again, it will install its own kernel, so you lose Siyah.

My next suggestion is to try flashing a different kernel over your newly installed CRRV4 rom. So you do all the fullwipes, clearing caches etc, install CRRV4 and then flash say Siyah 2.6.2 over it and see what happens.

Logan47 likes this.
  10. Logan47

I'll try that. Is there anything else besides the list a few posts above which I need to wipe to ensure a clean install? I want to be sure I have covered all the bases.

11. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

the above advice from Kie looks very good, shouldnt be anuthing else to wipe. go for it!

12. Logan47

Ok then. I wiped and reset as above, installed checkrom then siyah kernel. Sadly it remained at boot screen with back and menu buttons lit but no further after leaving for 6 mins. I removed battery then tried again with no luck. Would it be possible to restore once more then flash the kernel I started with (cf root) and begin again. If so, can I do that with cwm as I originally used odin? Would it also be worth trying to flash checkrom in Odin also?

Edit;
    Just checked my kernel from restore and it states KJ1 so I assume that is the chainfire root one. New rom's hate me..... :-(

13. Logan47

Update;
    Managed to install CM7 though had to run twice so made some headway. Tried to wipe and install CheckROM but still hangs on bootscreen so back on CM7 for now. This is like an awful game of chess....

14. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Glad you managed to get some form of custom rom on there! Looks like CheckROM just does not agree with you friend!

15. Logan47

Indeed it does not. Think I might try flash back to stock and work my way back up or try another rom. Any others you might recommend?
    Thanks for the help anyway.

16. Logan47

The next move in the game of chess was to install stock, then rooted again and tried to install CheckROM once more, but still no joy. The install process took about 30 seconds to complete which seems awfully fast to me as I'm sure it took longer when I first did it. Is it possible there are some related files on the internal memory related to CheckROM install which are messing things up?
    Of the 4 roms I've tried. only CM7 worked ok. I'm starting to think my S2 is an iphone in disguise. :p

Is it okay to flash CheckROM with odin instead of cwm?

17. Logan47

Well just to tie this off. I finally managed to install CheckROM in exactly the same way as I had first time by retracing my steps. No idea why but I had to install CM7 then wipe and install VillainRom and finally wipe and install CheckROM. These are the steps I took when I first looked at roms and having repeated them, Checkrom finally went back on. The key seemed to be only wiping dalvik cache at the initial CM7 install (needs doing twice) then leave it be when I installed the other two roms.
    Weird... :rolleyes:

18. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Good work mate!

CheckROM is better anyway!

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews