• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SOLVED: Disaster with Android 10 and Pixel 3 - any advice?

AmandaxD

Lurker
Oct 16, 2019
Do I have to buy a new phone? I held off for 3 weeks (for good reason apparently) in doing the Android 10 update. Next morning, get into phone and work email and calendar are gone. Icons are blank. Started dealing with this today, spent an hour on the phone with Google India asking wrong questions. Can't move past work blocking software - app called "Google Device Policy."

Every time I try to open my work google accounts, I end up at a screen that says:
Delete existing profile?
You already have a work profile.
It's managed using the following
app:

Device Policy

If you continue, all apps and data in this profile
will be deleted.

Cancel Delete

If I hit Cancel - I endlessly end up back here in circle.
If I hit Delete - I move through set up process and then mailbox says it is loading but it never loads and eventually fails.

I have no internal IT support and minimal knowledge. Looked at websites to roll back to Android 9 but that is past my ability level. Any other options?

This is my personal phone and will be a nightmare to back up before doing. Will consider as last resort.

The problem is google device policy. How do I get this off my phone? My company says they don't use it so google/Android is forcing this mess on me that doesn't work.

SOLVED thanks to awesome co-worker. With Android 10, your phone is truly separated between Work and Personal apps. I kept trying to add my work calendar back to the phone from inside the personal gmail app. DOES NOT WORK. You actually have to go into Apps list (by swiping up at the bottom of the phone) and use the Google Play store on the work side to re-download gmail and calendar. Then the phone will allow work google accounts to be loaded. You cannot load gmail or calender ever through the personal apps (which is the old way and the circular way that I was stuck in that never completed and never indicated what the problem was). Also, all of the icons will show a small lock on the bottom right to indicate they are the work version of the app.

Other note: You will actually have to re-download all of your work apps on the work side (things like Slack, Asana, Zoom, etc.), re-login and then delete them off the personal side (if you care about keeping the two separate). Do know that if you resign and your work Google administrator has the device policy turned on, they will be able to come onto your phone and wipe out the work side only. That is the point of all of this mess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SOLVED thanks to awesome co-worker. With Android 10, your phone is truly separated between Work and Personal apps.
I'm very glad to hear you've solved your problem, and I appreciate that you took the time to post the solution. Now, if someone else should have a similar problem, they'll know what to do.

You might want to mark the thread as solved; you can do that via 'thread tools' on the original post.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones