1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support (solved)Flash video without the flash player?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmcook79, Feb 1, 2014.

1. jmcook79

jmcook79 Android Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    The main reason I've stuck with a laptop for watching video Is because the main site I go to requires flash. After sideloading flash on my phone it didn't work very well so I uninstalled the flash player. Now I went back to the same site just to make sure the flash player was completed removed and the video is still working but smoother than before!

Could it be that the site detected I'm on Android and used a different format? If that's the case I could save a lot of money and stream from my phone to my TV with a cable or Chromecast. I can't post the URL because it's against the forums rules but it's a very popular streaming site and on my laptop it requires the flash plugin. Is there any way for me to find out what format the stream is? I'm using opera browser.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If you're using a browser, look at the URL. If it's m.<something>, you're on the mobile site and it's not using Flash. If you still want to try doing it the right way, install Flash Player (make sure it's the latest version, and the one for your version of Android, either 2.x/3.x or 4.x). Then install the Dolphin browser. Set User Agent (in Settings) to Desktop. If Youtube looks like it does on a computer - video in the upper left corner (and working), comments down the left side, links to other videos on the right side - Flash Player is working. (If it's not, the video will have text that Flash Player is needed to watch the video.)

Chrome doesn't support Flash. Internet doesn't support Flash. Firefox supports Flash - sometimes. Dolphin is a nice browser once you get used to it (and I hate change).

3. jmcook79

jmcook79 Android Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2013
    Male
    Retail
    Florida
    I checked and the site is the same exact site as on my laptop, no m. <something>, just www.<something>. I think that the flash player is somehow still hanging around on my phone.

I checked it out on my roommate's phone this morning which has never had flash and it works on hers too! Even on the videos that don't work correctly it downloads it as an flv or mp4 file!

The one downside is that even with Firefox and ad-block plus which blocks 99% of popup ads on my laptop, it isn't so good on the phone. I usually have to close 5 or more windows and also hit the back button in the main window because it sends me to Google Play to download some useless app lol. At this point If I go the tablet or phone/chromecast route I may have to stop being cheap and just shell out $9 a month for netflix.

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.