1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root SOLVED: Help wanted- losing the war for memory on the Desire.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SkinJob, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SkinJob

SkinJob Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Seriously, I'm at a standoff here... QSI (Quick System Info) tells me I have 31mb free (out of 288mb) on internal partition. This is the place where I need to make a lot more space. Apps are force closing, most certainly because the phone requires more room on internal. I tried using a cache cleaner app (Easy Cache Cleaner) to reduce the size of internal, but it finds very little to erase. I'm not sure what else is on internal partition that I can get rid of, since the phone doesn't tell you!

I'm using MIUI XJ ROM. I've moved all apps that I can to SD card. But Qi says my A2SD partition has plenty of space - 483mb free out of 509mb. I don't know why that is, or even how to use it up. The fact that A2SD is listed suggests A2SD is working. But the fact that its numbers are not changing show that only some apps went there. Most appear to be going to the main SD card storage when I manually move apps to SD via an app.

How can I reduce internal storage area memory to a significant degree? I've got all the apps I want on the phone. Now I want to be done with having to wrestle with its assorted memory banks and their assorted problems.

UPDATE
    : Ok, it looks like I might have solved my data partition problem by playing with a few terminal commands. Quick System Info now tells me that I have 177mb free on internal storage, and A2SD has finally diminished to 337mb (out of 509mb). ("System storage" remains at 11.18mb free, out of 145mb. That's fine. That's where the ROM is, so it's not going anywhere). SD card storage now has a whopping 2.30gb free, where it was only a few hundred mb before! On top of all that, the phone feels more responsive now.

If this helps anyone, the fix included these commands: a2sd check, a2sd repair, a2sd cachesd, a2sd zipalign.

That last one accomplished the important task of moving the dalvik cache to SD. Now most of those commands did give me various script errors, that made it look like it wasn't going to work. But it turns out, I just had to ignore them! (Hit enter, when necessary). I can't be sure if the internal mem is going to revert back to its original low figure, once the phone is used for a while, and the various caches decide to shove themselves back into the Desire's crucial memory area. But I did reboot and the numbers remained good. So the Dalvik appears to be staying on SD space.

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    That's pretty impressive going - much as I loved my Desire, I gave up on the endless storage battles and bought an N4. I'm totally loving it - you don't realise how slow the Desire is until you start using one of the more recent phones regularly ..

3. SkinJob

SkinJob Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    I bought the Desire on a 3 year contract, and I still have a year to go, so I'm not in a hurry to get another phone. Yeah, I know the new phones are faster, but to be honest.... I don't think it matters much to me, as the way I've set it up, the Desire is fast enough. There is no great lag when using apps on the phone. (At least not any more, after I rebuilt my system from scratch). I must have close to 200 apps on the thing, but waiting for the system to get ready after a cold boot is about under 30 seconds now. I like the size of it, the look, the real hardware buttons, the feel in hand.... I think it actually holds up quite well to new models, if you don't require top notch processing power.

The Desire's achilles heel is well known; it's memory limitations. I don't expect to battle this anymore though, now that I pretty much have all the apps I want on the phone, and plenty of space in all memory areas to boot. There's a great ROM for the Desire that takes care of the memory problem once and for all. It allows something like 2gb of internal memory. I forget the name of it, its reminiscent of "super" or something such. I didn't try it because I prefer MIUI.

FWIW, I also have an iPhone 4s, and I much prefer using my Desire.

Tags: