• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Solved] HTC One M8 stuck on HTC/HTC One logo.

Yeah, that's odd since I've had that app installed since around Android 4. It may be that the current version doesn't go back to such an old OS version (just a guess)? Perhaps look for an old version in apkmirror.com or apkpure.com?

So it sounds like those caches do contribute to the "system" usage, but they aren't the main factors at the moment (only very modest effects). Hmm...

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's odd since I've had that app installed since around Android 4. It may be that the current version doesn't go back to such an old OS version (just a guess)? Perhaps look for an old version in apkmirror.com or apkpure.com?

So it sounds like those caches do contribute to the "system" usage, but they aren't the main factors at the moment (only very modest effects). Hmm...
Here's photos of what DiskUsage is reporting. I'm not sure what storage card is supposed to be (there's no SD card in the phone) and what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• 1679677214262.png
    1679677214262.png
    728.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 1679677523630.png
    1679677523630.png
    653 KB · Views: 61
  • 1679677545629.png
    1679677545629.png
    532 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
"Storage card" is your internal storage, or more precisely it's the part of the internal storage that's available to the user for apps, data and media. This is historical in origin, but the user-accessible part of the storage can be viewed as if it were a storage card (a decade ago you'd find references to an "internal SD card", which was really a partition in the internal storage and not an SD card at all).

So what it tells me is the size of your actual system partition, and that that isn't growing. This "user volume" of the internal storage is 10934 MiB in size, where "MiB" is used to denote the binary definition of "MegaByte". This is equal to 10.6 GiB, while your phone has a capacity of 16 GB (decimal) = 14.9 GiB. So that tells us that your system partitions total 4.3 GiB in size (or 4.6 GB in decimal units), which is pretty consistent with your U11.

Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem, it just tells us that the actual system partition is not growing in size. The problem is that 6215 MiB (= 6.07 GiB or 6.52 GB) of "system data" you can see in the second shot. My guess is that that is being added into the "system" usage in your storage menu. The trouble is that without root you can't see what is actually in there, so that doesn't help us understand the cause or fix it.

Did you get a lot of app updates after doing the factory reset? My guess would be that any system app that was also in the Play Store would probably be updated, since the ROM is bound to contain old versions (as it's old itself), and that would contribute to some of this. But it's hard to believe that adds up to 6 GB, and that wouldn't keep growing with use. You've ascertained that caches don't count for a lot of it, so that only leaves system app data (which you probably don't want to erase). But it does still seem like a lot.

Reactions: vector3156
Upvote 0
"Storage card" is your internal storage, or more precisely it's the part of the internal storage that's available to the user for apps, data and media. This is historical in origin, but the user-accessible part of the storage can be viewed as if it were a storage card (a decade ago you'd find references to an "internal SD card", which was really a partition in the internal storage and not an SD card at all).

So what it tells me is the size of your actual system partition, and that that isn't growing. This "user volume" of the internal storage is 10934 MiB in size, where "MiB" is used to denote the binary definition of "MegaByte". This is equal to 10.6 GiB, while your phone has a capacity of 16 GB (decimal) = 14.9 GiB. So that tells us that your system partitions total 4.3 GiB in size (or 4.6 GB in decimal units), which is pretty consistent with your U11.

Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem, it just tells us that the actual system partition is not growing in size. The problem is that 6215 MiB (= 6.07 GiB or 6.52 GB) of "system data" you can see in the second shot. My guess is that that is being added into the "system" usage in your storage menu. The trouble is that without root you can't see what is actually in there, so that doesn't help us understand the cause or fix it.

Did you get a lot of app updates after doing the factory reset? My guess would be that any system app that was also in the Play Store would probably be updated, since the ROM is bound to contain old versions (as it's old itself), and that would contribute to some of this. But it's hard to believe that adds up to 6 GB, and that wouldn't keep growing with use. You've ascertained that caches don't count for a lot of it, so that only leaves system app data (which you probably don't want to erase). But it does still seem like a lot.
At least 20 apps were updated but for now it is staying at around 8GB. Before that I had less apps installed when "System" reached 10GB. So I guess as long as it doesn't get over 8GB like before I won't mind. I will look into rooting the phone since it seems like it could be really useful for finding/fixing issues like this one. In the end if the phone continues to have issues I can replace the motherboard because when I bought it I got another one with a broken screen that seems to be functional. Thank you for the help :).

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones