• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SOLVED] Is my battery on its last legs?

My current Z² is barely a year old. Lately, I've had to charge it an additional time during the day.

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary with it, nor have I added any new apps or anything like that.

At just a year old, could its battery already be conking out?
Well are you sure you have the original charger, or at least a store bought one, I have timed it to the 15 min rule with my comp's Samsung Charger and a store bought one, and they are revelanted to the time. hmmm... That seem really strange for your phone to do that, there is a battery saver on the drop down menu from the top.

Upvote 0
My current Z² is barely a year old. Lately, I've had to charge it an additional time during the day.

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary with it, nor have I added any new apps or anything like that.

At just a year old, could its battery already be conking out?

Hi @MoodyBlues,

I'm sorry to be negative but it could be. I've had a string of HTC devices since 2011, the Desire S is still going strong on the original (removable) battery but I did buy a new one for it not long ago. Next was the M7 which lasted about 4 years before the battery (non-removable) began to fail. Next was the M9, followed by the 10 (both non-removable), both of which struggled to make two years before starting to fail. I kept the M9 going by using an external battery pack until the internal battery started to expand at which point I scrapped it. I still use the 10 as a music and games machine charging it regularly. My wife and I both had the 10 and we have kept them both but after the continuing reduction in 'time to failure' with the HTC devices decided a change was necessary and we both have the Pixel 3a and are delighted with them.

I might have been unlucky with the HTC M9 and 10 but I was certainly disappointed. What makes it difficult is not really knowing exactly how long the device was 'on the shelf' before purchase. The M9 was purchased just after launch and the 10 almost a year after launch.

I assume the Z² battery is non-removable.

:thinking::)

Last edited:
Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
My experience with batteries has been great over the years and, as everyone knows, all my smartphones have been Motorolas. I like to keep a phone 2-3 years as a loose rule.

My previous phone, a Moto X 2nd Gen, was pushing that timeframe when its battery failed. I've posted the whole story, so this will be brief: I found replacement batteries online, and ordered one. It came with a kit...with itsy-bitsy tools I could barely see, along with instructions for breaking the case's seal... I threw in the towel and bought a new phone. [But kept the X plugged in, and in use, until last month. I just decided it was time to pull the plug. :eek:]

That was my original Z² Force, which was replaced 13 months ago with a new one [it had burn-in and was still under warranty]. So, based on personal experience, this one's battery shouldn't be dying...yet...

Reactions: tommo47 and MrJavi
Upvote 0
Batteries are fickle.
Some are great, most are good, and some are neither, and all three could come from the same batch.

That is just one reason that I abhor 'non-replaceable' batteries.

You know, since you replaced that other device that you purchased a new battery for, now would be an excellent opportunity to dig it out, and try to replace it.

Not that you need that device, but for the experience.

A new battery can often be had for $10-$20 USD, and 'sticking it to the man' that decided that 'non-replaceable' batteries were a great decision feels great.

Let your old device serve as a guinea pig (sacrifice if necessary), and gain the experience and confidence to replace the battery in your current device.

Upvote 0
@puppykickr, I hadn't planned on announcing this yet, but...drum roll, please... I bought a new phone. :eek:

It hasn't arrived yet; I'll post all about it once it's in my hot little hands.

The Moto X 2nd Gen is now tucked away in my smartphone graveyard drawer. Changing its battery would indeed be fun, but unfortunately, my eyesight hasn't improved since I bought its replacement battery and itsy-bitsy tools...so it's not going to happen.

I'll be keeping this phone up and running for a long time, though it'll no longer be my primary phone. I'll post about that when it comes! [I was in no hurry, so picked the cheapest/slowest shipping option.]

Upvote 0
@puppykickr, I hadn't planned on announcing this yet, but...drum roll, please... I bought a new phone. :eek:

It hasn't arrived yet; I'll post all about it once it's in my hot little hands.

The Moto X 2nd Gen is now tucked away in my smartphone graveyard drawer. Changing its battery would indeed be fun, but unfortunately, my eyesight hasn't improved since I bought its replacement battery and itsy-bitsy tools...so it's not going to happen.

I'll be keeping this phone up and running for a long time, though it'll no longer be my primary phone. I'll post about that when it comes! [I was in no hurry, so picked the cheapest/slowest shipping option.]
Ahhh...... the smell of a new sillicon base life form in your hands :) LOL I am sorry being ultra geeky now.

Upvote 0
Still have my wedding ring on the Samsung Galaxy S10e, going to plan to marry that one soon lol :)
It's time, Milo! Shit or get off the pot. :D

I stuck with Motorola. No surprise there.
Quick I need a girlfriend lol.
Can't help you there! :eek:

Reactions: ocnbrze and tommo47
Upvote 0
It's time, Milo! Shit or get off the pot. :D

I stuck with Motorola. No surprise there.

Can't help you there! :eek:
I know that, but after opening up to her mother, it is more conforting - we where friends for nearly seventeen years give or take, so I made friends with her family more or less, but kind of got over the anger issues I had last evening, just took a submerge in musical therapy and my new meds, has totally gave me into control.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I just knew (and hoped) that you were not the type of person to pitch something like that.

Take it from me, who had cataracts before the age of 40 (and if you are young, they get worse faster), my eye(s) work about as good as that Samsung battery that isn't allowed on airplanes.

Chances are, those 'tools' are of a general sort, made very poorly, and are their only to boost the confidence of the average user.

They probably won't even do the job without the addition of your own personal tools.

What I have seen in a 'battery kit' are what I call Poop Tools.
(I will just leave that right there to float for a while.)

Harbor Freight has a decent set of screedrivers that come with all kinds of miniature, interchangeable ends.
It is extremely well priced, and the handles are comfortable and make them easy to use.

Also, you can look for videos that may have someone changing out the battery in your very same device.

Give me a few moments, and I will post a photo of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JPEG_20200712_220342_67636705783705700.jpg

Upvote 0
Chances are, those 'tools' are of a general sort, made very poorly, and are their only to boost the confidence of the average user.
The thing is--and I know I didn't make this clear--it's the itsy-bitsy screws that I can't see. I mean, with my glasses on AND using a magnifying glass, I could probably find them...but would be unable to use the tools [having only two hands and everything], or keep track of the screws once loose. Definitely not worth the bother! Especially now that it's no longer my backup phone.

Upvote 0
I call BS! :)

Sure, they are small! How many do you think I forced out with the wrong bit before I realized it was a different style?

Did it matter?
Nope.

I forced it to work.

You might not even need to remove the screws all all.

Many 'non-replaceable' batteries are only called that because they are glued in.

Get the back off the phone (no tools needed) and look for a battery replacement video.

Lots of folks use a hairdryer to loosen the glue and then pry the battery out.

Then there is only the means of connection.

You don't need to reglue the new battery.

Or, you can just take it in somewhere.

Tell them you want to watch.

Upvote 0
Or, you can just take it in somewhere.
Nope. It's a done deal.

That phone is now retired, resting comfortably in my phone graveyard drawer, its role as my backup device now handed over to the phone that was the subject of this thread. :)

No way in hell I'm dropping back two phones--and definitely not paying someone to fix it! :eek:

[I still agree it would be fun, though. Especially now that it's totally irrelevant if it breaks in the process. Who knows? One day I may just pull it out and plunge in.]

Upvote 0
It is messing with you.
No kidding! :D

Funny thing, though: every morning, I unplug both phones when I first wake up. Later, like an hour or two, when I go to actually use the new one, its battery has dropped to ≈95%, while the Z² is still at 100%. :thinking:

Nothing has changed on the old phone. I mean everything that was on it and/or running still is. It always was like this, i.e., having 100% charge while idle after being unplugged; it's usually several hours before that starts dropping.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
No kidding! :D

Funny thing, though: every morning, I unplug both phones when I first wake up. Later, like an hour or two, when I go to actually use the new one, its battery has dropped to ≈95%, while the Z² is still at 100%. :thinking:

Nothing has changed on the old phone. I mean everything that was on it and/or running still is. It always was like this, i.e., having 100% charge while idle after being unplugged; it's usually several hours before that starts dropping.
No kidding, it is one amazing battery :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones