• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Solved] LG F6 (MS500) Not receiving notifications

I noticed today that I am no longer getting notifications from apps such as Gmail, Hangouts, CloudMail, or any type of push notification. I am not quite sure what could have caused this as I don't recall installing anything or changing any settings. In addition to not getting the notifications, when in Google Hangouts the messages coming in to the device are suffering a very long lag time (3-10 minutes).

• My first idea was to reboot the phone and make sure the "Green" setting was off, which it was, but still no notifications are coming through.
  • After this I tried to toggle all the wireless options and try again, still no dice.
  • From here, since I was using a custom rom for the past few months (Xperion) I tried to do a factory reset. Still no notifications.
  • I proceeded to reflash it with the latest version of Xperion. Still no notifications.
  • Finally I have tried to revert back to the stock rom for the device, the latest build as well. Still no notification.
Am I missing something here?

For posterity, the issue was caused by a recent addition of Google SafeSearch to the local network dns rules. Basically, in an attempt to prevent in inadvertent browsing of less than favorable results in google search engines, we added DNS rules that forwarded all Google searches to their safesearch IP. Apparently, the safe search IP does not allow for notifications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones