• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Solved]Missing 50Gbs of storage

Since I wiped my phone and installed a new rom, I'm missing 50Gbs of storage. I've alredy discovered that the proc folder takes it all and did some research. It seems like there is important information of my device, but in all the threats I saw, it only took like 2-5Gbs, so there has to be something wrong. Can somebody tell me what I can do about it?
Thanks for your answers!

I'm not saying that it's the same situation or that it will even work but you might try a factory reset. I recall once on my Nexus 5, after flashing factory images, it was only giving you 16gb of storage as opposed to 32.

I posted about it HERE.

It might not solve your issue, but it really can't hurt much to try either. Especially if you just started over anyway with a new install.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying that it's the same situation or that it will even work but you might try a factory reset. I recall once on my Nexus 5, after flashing factory images, it was only giving you 16gb of storage as opposed to 32.

I posted about it HERE.

It might not solve your issue, but it really can't hurt much to try either. Especially if you just started over anyway with a new install.
+1
Ditto on the Nexus 6 64 GB,initially showed 32GB-system,until a factory reset after initial re-flashing of the stock firmware showed the actual available storage.

Upvote 0

I posted about it HERE.

Already tried. I also tried to wipe everthing in recovery. It didn't give me the storage back, but I discovered that the folder got delted when I did it and was recreated when flashing the system

Upvote 0
in all the threats I saw, it only took like 2-5Gbs
You say in all the threads you read... Did you read it in the rom thread for the rom you installed or did you only see it in other places?

Perhaps it's just a bug/issue with that rom. What happens if you flash back to stock or flash a different rom? Is the problem still there? If the problem only exists on that one rom, you might consider reporting it as a bug to the developer of the rom.

Upvote 0
You say in all the threads you read... Did you read it in the rom thread for the rom you installed or did you only see it in other places?

Perhaps it's just a bug/issue with that rom. What happens if you flash back to stock or flash a different rom? Is the problem still there? If the problem only exists on that one rom, you might consider reporting it as a bug to the developer of the rom.
I flashed the stock rom, didn't help, but i looked up the folder in ES file manager to see its size and what's exactly in there. The size didn't stop rising and went even further than the storage size of my device. When i look throug the folders, it seems like this folder is endless. I can go to /proc/1/root as long as i want and i'll always land in a directory that's exactly like the first directory of the phone ( / ). Btw i said that the folder disappears when i wipe my phone: Forget that it's still there, but the root folder in it isn't there anymore.

Upvote 0
Are you 100% sure that the proc folder is 50 gb in size? Can you post some screenshots? From what I understand, the proc folder is dynamic and goes up and down depending on what processes are running. It seems odd that there would be 50 gb of processes running on your device at any given time. Maybe some sort of memory leak?

Have you tried installing different versions of your OS? Can you flash a rom that is a different OS version than what you are currently using? And so now the problem persists, even when you go back to the original stock firmware you were running prior to installing a new rom?
Also, just to be double sure, are we talking about the Oneplus One (A1000) that you listed in your profile? I didn't see in this thread any mention of a device model.

I've tried looking around a bit but can't find any solutions (or even problems) with the proc folder. Some people complain that it is up to 300 mb or so, but that's a big jump to 50 gb. It just seems like a really odd problem, and makes me wonder if the problem could be something else??

Also, could you install this small app that was made by one of our moderators (@scary alien), and copy/paste the results here?
Storage Truth

Upvote 0
Are you 100% sure that the proc folder is 50 gb in size? Can you post some screenshots? From what I understand, the proc folder is dynamic and goes up and down depending on what processes are running. It seems odd that there would be 50 gb of processes running on your device at any given time. Maybe some sort of memory leak?

Have you tried installing different versions of your OS? Can you flash a rom that is a different OS version than what you are currently using? And so now the problem persists, even when you go back to the original stock firmware you were running prior to installing a new rom?
Also, just to be double sure, are we talking about the Oneplus One (A1000) that you listed in your profile? I didn't see in this thread any mention of a device model.

I've tried looking around a bit but can't find any solutions (or even problems) with the proc folder. Some people complain that it is up to 300 mb or so, but that's a big jump to 50 gb. It just seems like a really odd problem, and makes me wonder if the problem could be something else??

Also, could you install this small app that was made by one of our moderators (@scary alien), and copy/paste the results here?
Storage Truth
I really don't know why, but everyrhing works fine now with OxygenOS. All Cyanogenmod versions (including stock) gave me only about 12Gbs. And yes it is the OnePlus One.

First i thougt there was a bug and the size of the proc folder would go up without an end, but after a while it stopped at 144,07Gbs and that can obviously not be the real size. I also uploaded a video of it to YouTube:

I installed the app, how you said, and posted a screenshot of the result.

So the storage problem is solved, but i'd prefer to use Cyanogenmod over OxygenOS, because of all the features. I'll propably have to live with it.
However i really have to thank you for your great support. You really made my day better ;)

Attachments

• Storage Truth Results.jpg
    Storage Truth Results.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very odd problem! I'm glad it's working on another rom but I wish I could tell you what the problem is with Cyanogen. Any way you could contact the OnePlus developers and see if they have any answers?
I tried to cotact the OnePlus Tech-support, but since you can only contact them, when you got your phone directly from their store and i got mine from Ebay, that won't be possible. Very sad

Upvote 0
That doesn't seem like very good customer service. If there is a problem with their software, you should be able to address it.

Have you checked here: https://oneplus.net/support

You can access the OnePlus forums from there and if you scroll down to the bottom it looks like you can open a support ticket or directly live chat with them.
Yes, that's exactly where i tried to contact them. The Live Chat brings me back to the top of the page and to submit a ticket you need to choose a device you bought on their site with your account. So no way to contact the customer support

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones