• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Solved My Vanishing Memory Problem In My Hero

mslisaj

Android Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2010
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Today I received my first low memory warning and I have been expecting this. While I have a great cache cleaner and am diligent about using it I have slowly watched my memory disappear and the size of my HTC Mail App continue to get larger and larger. So today I installed K9Mail and dumped Data and Cache from the HTC Mail. I instantly got 30 MB's of memory back and my phone is snappy again. I always suspected this was my problem and this was, according to TT Back Up the biggest memory user on the system. Now that I have K9 I have notice that it handles mail a lot differently then the HTC Mail. It handles everything from the server instead of putting it all on the phone. Besides I absolutely love the K9 system. So for those that may read this that have rooted phones. Use Titanium to do a force close on the HTC Mail App. Dump all the Data and Cache and install K9 and breath new life into your phone. I should have done this two years ago. The HTC Mail App now only takes 1.6MB's. I didn't delete it as I wasn't sure if it was needed in it's core form. But it's there and disabled (forced closed) and I got my memory back

Thanks again to the men that have really been there for me and help me sort this phone out. I know you're shaking your head's on how timid I am to do anything to it but when I have moved forward you have always been right. So I thank you for that.

Sincerely,

Lisa
wavey.gif

I really love K-9 and I should have gone to this years ago. Anyway thanks to you guys for all the advice................

Yes I'm due for an upgrade but I don't want an Evo and I think that is still Sprints flagship. The new new phones look really nice and a lot of my decision will be based on what I can root. So keep in touch.

Thanks again..........

Lisa ;)

Upvote 0
I really love K-9 and I should have gone to this years ago. Anyway thanks to you guys for all the advice................

Yes I'm due for an upgrade but I don't want an Evo and I think that is still Sprints flagship. The new new phones look really nice and a lot of my decision will be based on what I can root. So keep in touch.

Thanks again..........

Lisa ;)

Lisa - I am paretty much done with HTC - their bootloader Unlock is a joke.

The Galaxy Nexus is a pretty sweet phone....(and its about to get Jelly Bean)
Look into that device!

Upvote 0
The HTC Hero was/is my first smart phone. It's been good to me and I have learned a lot about it. BUT........... It wouldn't take much to move me away from HTC as I was so tired of their stock answer if anything went wrong you had a hard reset in your future.

I just read a great review on Brighthand I believe on the Galaxy S III and I liked that and the Nexus looks really good too. The main criteria for me is the ability to root and change or customize. So I'll definitely be following your comments on that too................

Thanks again for your response. I certainly appreciate your time and expertise.

Lisa

Upvote 0
Well Both are made by samsung -
I will be going with the nexus line day forward.

Since theya re pure google - they are easy to root, S-off and First to get new software updates....three big Wins for me!

And yeah....earned my pay on the Hero.
Love that little guy!

I have been very much considering moving to the Google Nexus line with my next handset too. The temptation to get updates sooner is strong for me and with Google Nexus handsets that can happen. I am typing this as my Sprint HTC EVO 3D still has not received its official Android 4.0 update, while the Virgin Mobile version and international version has gotten it. We all went through the same process with the Sprint HTC Hero with the Android 1.5 to Android 2.1 update. Now, I am not badmouthing HTC, because they make fine products and I do like HTC Sense. Of course, I also have been running an unofficial CyanogenMod 9 as well, but I am still waiting for HTC to drop the source code, so the remaining things that do not work can be fixed.

With the above being said, I have absolutely loved every single HTC phone that I have owned or used. I will wait and see what HTC brings to the table next year when my upgrade is available. I will also be looking closely at the next Galaxy S handset and, as mentioned above, the Google Nexus line. Multiple Google Nexus handset manufacturers may be on the horizon and that would be wonderful.

Upvote 0
Thank you gentlemen for your feedback on the "Next Phone" you'll be considering and the reasons why. I Have to admit that the quality of the HTC Hero has been wonderful and the reality is it's still working as good as new, probably better with the rooting and tweaking. So the hardware is quality but with that said being able to root and customize is at the top of my list and if Samsung and the Nexus and Galaxy lines are the new coming thing and have direct ties to Google then this is the direction I'm going too. I feel honored to have two heavy hitters like MahaloCat and LBPHeretic weigh in with your opinions on this question. It's because of guys like you that I have kept my Hero working so well. Next year will be the time for me to get a new device and I'll certainly follow your leads............

Have a great day gentlemen...............

Lisa :thumbup:

Upvote 0
You are very welcome, mslisaj. I am glad that we have been able to have a positive impact on your experience with your Sprint HTC Hero.

As for what I said above about contemplating the Google Nexus line for my next handset. It does not mean I would quit rooting and messing with custom ROMs. Far from it, in fact. It would just enable me to have the latest and greatest version of Android from Google faster, so that custom ROMs based on that version can be created even faster. Besides, even with a Google Nexus handset, they will make HTC Sense ROMs for it if I miss the HTC flavor. It is a very interesting time, indeed, for Android hardware and software, so I will make a final decision on my next handset when the time comes.

Reactions: mslisaj
Upvote 0
As for what I said above about contemplating the Google Nexus line for my next handset. It does not mean I would quit rooting and messing with custom ROMs. Far from it, in fact. It would just enable me to have the latest and greatest version of Android from Google faster, so that custom ROMs based on that version can be created even faster. Besides, even with a Google Nexus handset, they will make HTC Sense ROMs for it if I miss the HTC flavor. It is a very interesting time, indeed, for Android hardware and software, so I will make a final decision on my next handset when the time comes.

I just had to respond to what you said in the quote above LBPHeretic, all the reasons you cited there are the reasons I will follow you guys to my next handset. The ability to just get rid of bloatware and tweak the phone are so important to me. Getting the latest ROMs will be my goal too also.

Thanks again for our thoughts and help............

Lisa

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones