• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Solved] Question on Blacklisted Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunnieBunnie

Apr 28, 2013
Texas, U.S.A.
Forgive my ignorance on this topic, but I would appreciate if someone could give me some answers about blacklisted phones.

If Spring has a phone blacklisted, what exactly does that mean? Someone told me a blacklisted phone could be "unlocked" and used. Is this true??

How/why do phones get blacklisted?

Thanks!
HB

Phones usually get blacklisted for only two reasons:

1) It's reported stolen/missing by the user to the carrier
2) The user has failed to keep a contract account/phone paid up.

Blacklisted phones remain blacklisted until it is removed. Unlocking won't help when trying to use it domestically because it's a country wide database.

Upvote 0
Phones usually get blacklisted for only two reasons:

1) It's reported stolen/missing by the user to the carrier
2) The user has failed to keep a contract account/phone paid up.

Blacklisted phones remain blacklisted until it is removed. Unlocking won't help when trying to use it domestically because it's a country wide database.

Thanks. Someone has an iphone 5s 64GB for sale on ebay for $100, but it is "blacklisted." Seller said it could be unlocked and used for a cost of about $100. Sounded to good to be true.

Upvote 0
Someone has an iphone 5s 64GB for sale on ebay for $100, but it is "blacklisted." Seller said it could be unlocked and used for a cost of about $100. Sounded to good to be true.

Definitely do not buy that phone. You could use it for WiFi like a mini tablet, but would not be able to use it as a cell phone since it has been blacklisted.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Kate. I will not buy it. I am beginning to see that there are a lot of shady things going on with mobile phones.

One of my friends told me I am crazy to purchase an iphone because of the personal danger associated with them. She claims people are regularly attacked for their iphones, even in good neighbourhoods! I must admit, that is a little scary.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones