• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SOLVED - S21 - Network Provider does not show up

BurtDC

Lurker
Jun 12, 2022
Here are the specs:

Samsung S21 Unlock-Samsung US purchased
ESIM activated - AT&T
Nano Sim - International Sim

Details:
International nano-sim was working fine with S21 (Confirmed with SMS received from provider stating T-Mobile as their partner). Changed AT&T nano-sim on S21 while international nano-sim was on a MI Poco Phone both working great!

Few days ago, I changed my AT&T to ESIM to utilize the dual functionality of S21. However, my international nano-sim was on Emergency Call after inserting the sim on S21 and activation of AT&T ESIM. Tried manual network search but T-mobile does not show up. Despite it was working fine on MI Poco Phone where I get daily SMS.

What was done:
1. Manual network search - T-mobile does not show up, only AT&T, Sprint, Verison and 3-5 6digit numbers.

2. Did a network reset - still nothing.

Question:
Any suggestion on how to go about this? I am contemplating on doing a force reset worrying if the ESIM will be deleted and have to back up files.

From what you're described it sounds like the S21 you've got is NOT a dual-SIM model. Unlike your Xiaomi Poco phone, that is able to accept and use both the AT&T and International SIMs simultaneously.

You stated the S21 was purchased in the US. From what I understand US variant Samsungs are single-SIM only, including using an e-SIM. Which basically means it can either use and have service with the the AT&T e-SIM, or the international physical SIM, but not both at the same time. If that is the case, really the only suggestion I have is keep the already activated AT&T e-SIM on the Samsung, and use the international SIM in the Xiaomi phone.

Suggest you post the exact S21 variant you've got, so we can determine if it's a dual-SIM phone or not. AFAIK all Xiaomi phones are dual-SIM including Poco models.

If both SIMs, including the e-SIM had service, then you should see something like this in the notification area of your Samsung.
Screenshot_20220613-121128_Gallery.jpg
This is from my Galaxy Note20, which is dual-SIM.

Last edited:
Reactions: svim and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for your response.

How do I check the variant you are referring to?

I get both signals for 2 sims though...
View attachment 162916

But the international nano sim is on Emeegency call.
View attachment 162917

Have you tried going to settings->connections->Sim card manager and checking the status there?

The US version of the S21 supposedly supports dual Sim with e-sim. I cannot verify, however.

Upvote 0
Yes, it shows two sims are active.
Screenshot_20220613-225154_Call settings.jpg

The problem right now is that the nano-sim (international sim that connects to local partner network - T-Mobile) doesn't connect to network even tried manual network search for T-mobile does not show. I had the nano sim on this phone (S21) initially and it was working; only after the AT&T ESIM activation that it went like this. Tried the sim on another phone (mentioned before) and it was ok and was able to scan T-mobile network.

Any suggesstions? Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yes, it shows two sims are active.
View attachment 162919

What happens if you un-check the AT&T e-SIM, which should disable it temporarily, is the Globe SIM usable then?

The problem right now is that the nano-sim (international sim that connects to local partner network - T-Mobile) doesn't connect to network even tried manual network search for T-mobile does not show. I had the nano sim on this phone (S21) initially and it was working; only after the AT&T ESIM activation that it went like this. Tried the sim on another phone (mentioned before) and it was ok and was able to scan T-mobile network.

Any suggesstions? Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

How many physical SIMs can you insert in your Samsung phone, one or two? I have a Chinese version Note20 Ultra myself, and that can use two physical SIMs, or an e-SIM if I desired, and use them both at the same time.

I'm sure the problem is that US variant S21s are not true dual-SIM phones. Dual-SIM devices that take two physical SIMs, or a physical SIM and an e-SIM, and can use both simultaneously actually have two cellular radios in them. And the US variant Samsungs only have one cellular radio, that can either be used with the physical SIM or the e-SIM, but not simultaneously. It's one of the other. Unlike your Xiaomi Poco phone. I have a Chinese version Note20 Ultra myself, and than use two physical SIMs, or an e-SIM if I desired, and use them both at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did that before but it didn't worked.

Last night before I saw your post, I was backing up my for a factory reset. Then I saw your post, tried it again still didn't work. I left it (nano sim on and esim off) for probably an hour as I was browsing through my phone to check if I have missed stuff to back up. Then, suddenly I got an SMS from the nano-sim . It was working altrady, then I tried to turn esim on, both are now working! What a relief!

Thanks for your responses.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones