• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [SOLVED] Spell-check suddenly stopped working

Between last night and this morning, spell-check stopped working, system wide.

Moto Z² Force Edition, Oreo 8.0.0, not rooted.

I've long prided myself on not needing a spell-checker, but after heavily using my phone for awhile now--with its small screen--I've come to rely on it for catching typos these old eyes miss. It's very different than using a big-screened computer!

So, I didn't change anything...unless I did it in my sleep. :thinking: Last night, perfectly normal when I put my phone down for the day. This morning, when I started using it spell-check was gone.

I've done everything from the blatantly obvious (making sure it was still turned on), to the remotely likely (turning data saving off), plus rebooting, all to no avail.

If someone can't help me get it back, I'll eijfaskl 6fxamgf fskhds ljjgff gwzaqep! :goofydroid: :wtfdroid:

Between last night and this morning, spell-check stopped working, system wide.

Moto Z² Force Edition, Oreo 8.0.0, not rooted.

I've long prided myself on not needing a spell-checker, but after heavily using my phone for awhile now--with its small screen--I've come to rely on it for catching typos these old eyes miss. It's very different than using a big-screened computer!

So, I didn't change anything...unless I did it in my sleep. :thinking: Last night, perfectly normal when I put my phone down for the day. This morning, when I started using it spell-check was gone.

I've done everything from the blatantly obvious (making sure it was still turned on), to the remotely likely (turning data saving off), plus rebooting, all to no avail.

If someone can't help me get it back, I'll eijfaskl 6fxamgf fskhds ljjgff gwzaqep! :goofydroid: :wtfdroid:
Well clear the cache, that is number one, double check on the google keyboard app to see if its on, always search for another app that is swallowing up the auto correct lines as well, rethink on what you think that is far reached, and really remember what is the last time you used it. :)

Upvote 0
what keyboard do you use? maybe clear cache for it?
Hacker's, although I also verified the problem with gboard...but guess what? Spell-check is back. Can anyone say gremlins? :eek:

My mom, who departed this world in 2013, is known to visit. I wouldn't put it past her to fiddle with one of my gadgets. Some months ago she took my favorite hair scrunchie from my nightstand, where I'd put it when I took it off the night before. It has yet to be found.

One afternoon, a few months after she died, I was in my [then] usual place on the patio, watching TV and playing games on my tablet. The wrought iron fire-pit that was ≈5 feet away was just sitting there, as wrought iron fire-pits tend to do. Out of the blue, one of its heavy carrying hooks FLEW off the handle, across the patio, a good 3 feet. I sat there staring at it with my mouth open, then said, 'hi Mom!' :D

I'm going to mark this as solved, but I'm afraid it won't help anyone with the same problem--unless they have a deceased visitor who plays pranks...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones