1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SOLVED: Unable to upgrade Amazon MP3 player

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by davidfilmer, Jul 19, 2011.

1. davidfilmer

davidfilmer Lurker
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Hi - I'm just sharing a solution that I found to a strange problem.

I wanted to upgrade my Amazon MP3 player to the cloud edition.

When I open the player, I am informed that there is an upgrade available to version 2.0.4. When I click "OK" I am taken to the marketplace-type screen, but instead of having an "upgrade" button I see an "open" button. When I tap it the app opens, and I am again informed that an upgrade is available. I could do this all day.

I think I know why - my phone seems to think it has 2.0.7 currently installed - a newer version number than the one advertised (2.0.4), so when it checks version numbers it doesn't give me an "upgrade" option. But this is the original Amazon MP3 app that came with the phone - no cloud support. It is clearly not the latest.

I cannot uninstall / reinstall because you can't uninstall the player - it's apparently part of the kernel (which is dumb).

HERE IS THE FIX: I installed the Amazon AppStore app and downloaded the MP3 app. I browsed to my Download folder and tapped it, accepted the warning "this will replace your current app," and installed it. Now I have the latest cloud-enabled player.

HERE'S THE STRANGE THING: My phone STILL thinks it has version 2.0.7 - I suppose that really is the most current version. WHY my phone thought the old app was version 2.0.7, or was WHY I was offered an "upgrade" to 2.0.4 remains a mystery.

FWIW, this is a DroidX running Android 2.3.3.

Cheers!

Advertisement