• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Solved]USB bricked messed up badly :(

Exiled_SouL

Mar 22, 2011
Problem Solved,follow this guide

http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/365476-usb-brick-fix.html

Hi,All..yesterday i flashed gingervellain 2.5 rom without any problem but after i tried to browse the market,things went south.it started reboot my phone and bootloop

then i tried to restore my nandroid backup from recovery and got sd card mount failed+i was unable to flash and android sdk also failed to recognize my device after that so no adb shell

but in windows device manger when i connected my phone usb via fastboot it shows my device was connected but unable unroot with ruu.exe from pc.

i was usb bricked before but fixed it with adb shell n terminal emulator but this time it's not working,i tried xda n this forums possible usb brick fix for rooted(s-off) nothing seemed to work..

then i got desperate and unrooted my desire with pb99img.update from hboot as i thought it gonna fix the brick now things are more messed up and i am stuck on stock froyo2.2 ,s-on without any usb function.
then i tried the unrooted(s-on) desire usb fix and stuck

Copied the exploit binary (rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin), the flash_image and modifed mtd0.img to the sdcard via an external card reader.

tried to Copy the files to the Terminal app data directory using the command

cat /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
It says invalid directory/file not exist

this is the thing i did in past 10hr still no luck..now my question is can i fix this problem by myself or did i just permanently usb bricked my desire sorry for long post i need help badly and pardon my English :(

Hi,All..yesterday i flashed gb2.5 rom without any problem but after i tried to browse the market,things went south.it started reboot my phone and bootloop

then i tried to restore my nandroid backup from recovery and got sd card mount failed+i was unable to flash and android sdk also failed to recognize my device after that so no adb shell

but in windows device manger when i connected my phone usb via fastboot it shows my device was connected but unable unroot with ruu.exe from pc.

i was usb bricked before but fixed it with adb shell n terminal emulator but this time it's not working,i tried xda n this forums possible usb brick fix for rooted(s-off) nothing seemed to work..

then i got desperate and unrooted my desire with pb99img.update from hboot as i thought it gonna fix the brick now things are more messed up and i am stuck on stock froyo2.2 ,s-on without any usb function.
then i tried the unrooted(s-on) desire usb fix and stuck

Copied the exploit binary (rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin), the flash_image and modifed mtd0.img to the sdcard via an external card reader.

tried to Copy the files to the Terminal app data directory using the command

cat /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin > /data/data/jackpal.androidterm/shared_prefs/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
It says invalid directory/file not exist

this is the thing i did in past 10hr still no luck..now my question is can i fix this problem by myself or did i just permanently usb bricked my desire sorry for long post i need help badly and pardon my English :(
if you flashed a pb99img or RUU and its still having the problem then you have some other hardware issue as RUU/PB99img would fix the misc partition

just wondering... have you tried connecting to a different computer or using a different cable just to make sure its not that?

Upvote 0
is there any way to fix it..right now i am trying this from terminal emulator

cat /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin > /data/data/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/mtd0.img > /data/data/mtd0.img
cd /data/data/
chmod 755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin flash_image(got stuck here it says no directory)

/data/data/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

restart the terminal

cd /data/data/
./flash_image misc mtd0.img

Upvote 0
after 24hrs of restless search(androidforum/xda) for solution i finally got it :DDDDDD
this 2 thread help me alot to understand what i need to do
Code:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=813476&page=2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-700734.html

here is the steps i did

after i unlocked my sd card via fastboot command"fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" sd card recognized by phone and i can browse it via file explorer.

then i copied the visionary+(it gave me temporary root access which is needed to work this whole thing out).
root explorer,terminal emulator apk and those usb bricked update file(image_flash,mtd0.img) to sdcard from pc via card reader and installed them.

before copy those update file on sd card i edited the mtd0.img to put correct cid n rom info via hex editor.

after that i copied those update file in phone memory
/data/data/ and set permission for r/w and execute with the help of root explorer as i got root permission :D

after that i simply typed this command in terminal emulator
"su
/data/data/flash_image misc /data/data/mtd0.img"

Rebooted my phone and voila usb brick is gone htc sync,usb tethering,sd card mount,charge everything is working :D

Note-you don't need the rageagainstthecage file which only need if you try to get root access via terminal emulator which is lengthy n complicated but with visionary+ you can get root access with 1 click and it's much easier than typing command in T.E..

hope this information helps other who got stucked like me :)

Reactions: Rastaman-FB
Upvote 0
another strange thing happened when i tried to reroot with unrevocked

at the end of root process i got cid missing error..after that i opened my app drawer n saw the superuser icon is there..

then i rebooted my phone i opened recovery which take me to cmw recovery 2.5 or something forget the version number but text was green..
there is also some error like E:\cach,misc partion something

after that i rebooted my phone re-formated n partitioned my sdcard via g-parted..then s-offed my desire via alpharev..which bring me back to cmw 2.5.1.8 then i wiped data/cache partition/dalvik cache..after that e:\ cache partition error was gone.

then i changed the hboot partition to alpharev-cm7 via android flasher,flashed the rcmix-hd(cm-7hboot) rom without any problem..

now what's bugging me is how can i got the superuser,root access,cmw-recovery while rooting end up with cid missing error? as i read on forum if cid missing error shows up during root process then root is unsuccessful:thinking:

Upvote 0
the new hboots fix misc partition
and cid missing error is a wierd one, it could mean unsuccessful but it can also mean you have rooted but something is up

what is the pvt version on your device and the erase size

if its pvt4 you need to do this in android terminal and do this
cat /proc/mtd
if its 40000 then you need to flash amonRA
any CWM after 2.5.0.7 causes problems over time with desire (would explain the usb brick)

Upvote 0
no problem and welcome to the forums. were a friendly bunch here and help eachother out with all sorts of stuff

linger about in the "all things Root" section and read the guides there. see the things that come up, hell you might be able to help some people there.

the erase size issues etc are written in our guides as SUroot, myself and a few others have gone over them and tried to accommodate every eventually.

Upvote 0
after i unlocked my sd card via fastboot command"fastboot oem enableqxdm 0" sd card recognized by phone and i can browse it via file explorer.

then i copied the visionary+(it gave me temporary root access which is needed to work this whole thing out).
root explorer,terminal emulator apk and those usb bricked update file(image_flash,mtd0.img) to sdcard from pc via card reader and installed them.

before copy those update file on sd card i edited the mtd0.img to put correct cid n rom info via hex editor.

after that i copied those update file in phone memory
/data/data/ and set permission for r/w and execute with the help of root explorer as i got root permission :D

after that i simply typed this command in terminal emulator
"su

Rebooted my phone and voila usb brick is gone htc sync,usb tethering,sd card mount,charge everything is working :D

Note-you don't need the rageagainstthecage file which only need if you try to get root access via terminal emulator which is lengthy n complicated but with visionary+ you can get root access with 1 click and it's much easier than typing command in T.E..

hope this information helps other who got stucked like me :)

Did exactly the same, and worked fine til i got to the last thing:

as I

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones