1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support [SOLVED] VM No update, and stock browser doesn't work

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by payterx, Dec 31, 2012.

1. payterx

payterx Newbie
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    OK first, my phone is completely stock.

Problem 1:
    My stock browser doesn't work properly. It loads pages fine, but if I press the search button to look up something else, it types it inside the URL of the current webpage that is open. This is very annoying because I have to hold my finger on the current URL, touch "select all" and then I can search. On my other phones, I can just start typing. This problem doesn't exist on dolphin browser or firefox, etc. But I would like to use the stock one. Is there any fix for this? I have seen at least one other post of someone with the same problem.

Problem 2:
    My phone came with and still has the 1.13 update, and I see that the current update is 1.14. I have tried checking on my phone for updates and there aren't any. I found the download to the 1.14 update on this forum but don't know how I can use it. It's called "OTA_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_VM_1.14.652.0-1.13.652.2_release_291083f0wrax77ry0w073p.zip"

From what I can tell, this is a new rom. I was hoping that by flashing it, it would reflash my stock browser and have it work properly. Since the update is over a month old, why aren't I getting it on my phone?

Do 4g and 3d work on Harmonia? Every other rom that I look says that they don't work on them, but Harmonia doesn't really mention it.

Advertisement

2. rs98

rs98 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2012
    Male
    Student
    CT
    I too have the same internet search problem after it randomly started. Rather than pressing and holding, I find it easier to double tap. As for the update, there is a really long forum on that in this Evo V section, so looking through that might help. What I did was called VM because my 4g was not working properly, and they claimed to have fixed it after doing sole things behind the scenes. After that, I went to HTC software updates, told it to check, and it told me I had an update.

3. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase
    None

Apr 15, 2012
    Male
    Greenville, SC
    1) I'm assuming that the problem is persistent. Sorry. No real fix that I'm aware of for the stock browser.

2) That's the file I uploaded if I'm not mistaken? If so, there's a few posts by krowley in that thread where he made a few flashable zips. However, the radio may not flash, because it may not be signed by HTC. Therefor, your best method for the radio is S-Off. I finally did it, you can too :)

As far as Harmonia, yes. 3D and 4G work I believe. Same with Mobster and Midnight if I'm not mistaken. As far as the browser again, I can't really answer that...I'm not familiar with too much coding, so I can't say if it'll work or be different from ROM to ROM...

4. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Male
    Disabled
    CT, USA
    The stock browser behavior won't change with the latest radio update or a different rom, plain and simple is that it sux, :thumbdown: there are numerous alternative browsers available, I personally prefer to use either Firefox or the Boat browser. And Prinny is correct, all of the roms he listed have working 4G and 3d. On another topic altogether, Prinny you really did it? Cool, now there's even more stuff for you to flash. :rolleyes:

5. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase
    None

Apr 15, 2012
    Male
    Greenville, SC
    As if I don't flash and patch enough. I have tried all roms here and xda now. :<

6. payterx

payterx Newbie
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Well to answer my own question, I fixed it. I have harmonia rom, which replaced the HTC browser with the normal ICS browser. I took the browser.apk from a deodexed stockrom, uninstalled the browser included in harmonia, and put the deodexed stockrom HTC version into my system/apps folder, changed the permissions and rebooted.

Now the HTC browser is installed and has no problems. About to do the same with the keyboard

Actually, what is the keyboard APK called?

7. technutt1994

technutt1994 Member
    None

May 4, 2012
    I guess you can't replace the HTC browser with the ICS browser apk if your not rooted? I tried the ICS browser on the market and didn't like it. Been running boat browser and it about the best out there. I like the stock browser though.:thinking:

Tags: